Page 94 of 108 FirstFirst ... 8990919293949596979899 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

I recently switched from the 2EX to the LX and am experiencing a room issue. To be clear, my room is the issue, not the LX.

My room is problematic, being nearly a cube at 10.5’x10.5’x8’. I am experiencing, what I’ve been told is, a strong mode at 54 Hz, which sounds like a pronounced, bass heavy sustained bvvvvvvv or duuunne noise during playback of various music.

The LX are spaced 7’ apart. I can’t really go any closer because there is a TV between the speakers. The outside of each cabinet is 18” from the side walls. The rear cabinet is 15” from the front wall and I am trying 20” and 24”. The room is carpeted.

The 2EX sounded fantastic despite any room issues. This is without room correction or treatment. I could have tinkered with placement and tried room correction, and if that failed to provide an improvement I could have gone back to the original setup.

My options are to try to tame the room issue affecting the LX using room EQ or go back to the 2EX.

I have a nearly 10 year old budget Denon AVR with Audyssey XT. I was also looking into REW with the umik-1.

How likely am I to tame this issue using room correction? Am I better off with the 2EX? Can I get the LX to sound better than the 2EX with room correction, all things being equal.

Ultimately, between the two, I want the better sounding speaker for my room.

Advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by High Fidelity; 09-13-2022 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by High Fidelity View Post
    Have you considered room treatments? I made a measurable difference in my room with a handful of panels 2,4,6 and 8" deep.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeTRON View Post
    Have you considered room treatments? I made a measurable difference in my room with a handful of panels 2,4,6 and 8" deep.
    It’s something I considered and looked into with the 2EX. Since low frequency issues are hard to deal with, and would require bulky treatment options, I wasn’t really keen on the idea, considering the small room size.

It’s something I considered and looked into with the 2EX. Since low frequency issues are hard to deal with, and would require bulky treatment options, I wasn’t really keen on the idea, considering the small room size.
    As I mentioned in our email correspondence, please try plugging the ports. This will not damage the speakers and will reduce the bass energy that is exciting those room modes. A small square room like yours is very problematic, but there are methods to reduce the standing waves.

Also, a small square room should always utilize some equalization for the lower frequencies, you mentioned your receiver has Audyssey. Why not give that a try?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I use a MiniDSP 2x4HD to EQ my 2 Rythmik subs with great results. It is a bit involved requiring you to use REW, but it is a powerful tool to get the bass under control.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

If you do run audyssey as Dave suggested... download the app...which will further allow tweaking ability to adjust or tailor certain frequencies and filters to help achieve the desired result beyond what basic audyssey REQ could do...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    If you do run audyssey as Dave suggested... download the app...which will further allow tweaking ability to adjust or tailor certain frequencies and filters to help achieve the desired result beyond what basic audyssey REQ could do...
    My Denon AVR is not compatible with the app unfortunately.

Any update on the LX upgrade for the Towers Dave?

I recently switched from the 2EX to the LX and am experiencing a room issue. To be clear, my room is the issue, not the LX.

My room is problematic, being nearly a cube at 10.5’x10.5’x8’. I am experiencing, what I’ve been told is, a strong mode at 54 Hz, which sounds like a pronounced, bass heavy sustained bvvvvvvv or duuunne noise during playback of various music.

The LX are spaced 7’ apart. I can’t really go any closer because there is a TV between the speakers. The outside of each cabinet is 18” from the side walls. The rear cabinet is 15” from the front wall and I am trying 20” and 24”. The room is carpeted.

The 2EX sounded fantastic despite any room issues. This is without room correction or treatment. I could have tinkered with placement and tried room correction, and if that failed to provide an improvement I could have gone back to the original setup.

My options are to try to tame the room issue affecting the LX using room EQ or go back to the 2EX.

I have a nearly 10 year old budget Denon AVR with Audyssey XT. I was also looking into REW with the umik-1.

How likely am I to tame this issue using room correction? Am I better off with the 2EX? Can I get the LX to sound better than the 2EX with room correction, all things being equal.

Ultimately, between the two, I want the better sounding speaker for my room.

What happens if you set a 80Hz or 100Hz crossover and tell the receiver that you have a subwoofer, but no subwoofer hooked up (or if you do have a sub, then turn the power off)?

If this fixes the issue, then multiple subs is the answer. Todd Welti did some research to see if 2 or 4 subs was best for various room dimensions and 8 different sub placements. If the above works, I can look for the excel document he sent me to give you the optimal number of subs and placement for your room.
    Last edited by N Boros; 09-19-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    What happens if you set a 80Hz or 100Hz crossover and tell the receiver that you have a subwoofer, but no subwoofer hooked up (or if you do have a sub, then turn the power off)?

If this fixes the issue, then multiple subs is the answer. Todd Welti did some research to see if 2 or 4 subs was best for various room dimensions and 8 different sub placements. If the above works, I can look for the excel document he sent me to give you the optimal number of subs and placement for your room.
    I set the LX to small with both a 80Hz and 100Hz crossover and the sound I was experiencing did reduce quite a bit.

As far as subwoofers, purchasing two, which would be very beneficial in a room of my size, almost necessary, it’s not something I would be able to do for some time.