Page 93 of 108 FirstFirst ... 8889909192939495969798 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    If I remember correctly, they were specific to the Sierra-1 and its woofer.
    Hopefully Dave will chime-in.
    That's true but when I had Sierra-2s mounted up against a corner as surrounds, then the foam inserts helped reduce a little boominess I was getting. I used a measurement mic and REW to verify that the inserts helped flatten the response. But for most applications the inserts wouldn't be needed or desirable.
    Nate

i am interested in daves thoughts and recommendations on this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkusher View Post
    i am interested in daves thoughts and recommendations on this as well.
    Both Q-plug versions perform well with the Sierra-LX. However, the better option is to actively high pass the speaker by setting the speaker to small and using a crossover in the range from 50-80Hz.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I apologize, but I don't have time to type out a full review with all of the superlatives I have to report. Here's a quick nutshell. Sierra 1 to Sierra LX. Apple Lossless->Denon x3700h->Outlaw 5000x (in 2ch putting out north of 200 watts each.

They're all upgraded and I ran my usual gauntlet against them.

1. Bass FR: 28hz all day every day at volume in my main listening position. Letting them play below that makes the port audible. I'll give them credit, though... I caught them trying to play 15hz. 30hz at volume vibrates my drywall in a 3000ft3 room. They have that much bass.

2. Detail level: I used to say that the Sierras were the quietest speakers I'd ever owned because of how they play only what they're asked to and vanish when not. These are even more so. All events are "smaller" in that there's just no overhang, no distortion. Diction of words and edges of instrument attacks are improved everywhere. Super dense mixes on some of my test tracks were just amazing.

3. Stage width: They're wider than the S1's but honestly... not by much. My room is really width-friendly though.

4. Stage depth: This was one of the more obvious things and the best way to describe it is that there's now more resolution of where things can exist on stage depth. Like on the S1's I had say 8 locations between my ears and the speakers for depth and say about 3 behind the speakers. Now it's like 20 locations between my head on the speakers and 10 behind. The total depth of the stage didn't get bigger, but things are living in more specific spots.

5. Instrument/Object position: Each voice takes up less lateral space and is more precise in its placement. Also immediately noticeable.

I would say that unless you absolutely had to have reference volume below 25 hz, these things could play full range on music all day at 85 db or more. And the best and most succinct compliment I could pay: It made everything, every last track, sound less like a recording. Cliché to say, but I absolutely mean it: worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleric View Post
    I apologize, but I don't have time to type out a full review with all of the superlatives I have to report. Here's a quick nutshell. Sierra 1 to Sierra LX. Apple Lossless->Denon x3700h->Outlaw 5000x (in 2ch putting out north of 200 watts each.

They're all upgraded and I ran my usual gauntlet against them.

1. Bass FR: 28hz all day every day at volume in my main listening position. Letting them play below that makes the port audible. I'll give them credit, though... I caught them trying to play 15hz. 30hz at volume vibrates my drywall in a 3000ft3 room. They have that much bass.

2. Detail level: I used to say that the Sierras were the quietest speakers I'd ever owned because of how they play only what they're asked to and vanish when not. These are even more so. All events are "smaller" in that there's just no overhang, no distortion. Diction of words and edges of instrument attacks are improved everywhere. Super dense mixes on some of my test tracks were just amazing.

3. Stage width: They're wider than the S1's but honestly... not by much. My room is really width-friendly though.

4. Stage depth: This was one of the more obvious things and the best way to describe it is that there's now more resolution of where things can exist on stage depth. Like on the S1's I had say 8 locations between my ears and the speakers for depth and say about 3 behind the speakers. Now it's like 20 locations between my head on the speakers and 10 behind. The total depth of the stage didn't get bigger, but things are living in more specific spots.

5. Instrument/Object position: Each voice takes up less lateral space and is more precise in its placement. Also immediately noticeable.

I would say that unless you absolutely had to have reference volume below 25 hz, these things could play full range on music all day at 85 db or more. And the best and most succinct compliment I could pay: It made everything, every last track, sound less like a recording. Cliché to say, but I absolutely mean it: worth every penny.
    Wow - fantastic review, thank you so much and I thrilled that you are enjoying the LX! If you don't mind, I am going to copy this review over to our review section.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm really considering these speakers for my upgrade when I get the money. I have a few questions. Is the woofer actually 6 inches or does that include the frame? Also how does the LX center compare to the Horizon? Not just dialogue but overall full range dynamics?

Hello,

Long time lurker first post

I’m excited to say that I just ordered a pair of Natural LX’s. I’ve owned the Sierra 2’s and the EX’s, so I’m super stoked to having the LX’s coming my way. These will be my first Natural finish speakers that I will have ever owned. I think they will look great with the Natural grain!

I may have the speakers as early as Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    I'm really considering these speakers for my upgrade when I get the money. I have a few questions. Is the woofer actually 6 inches or does that include the frame? Also how does the LX center compare to the Horizon? Not just dialogue but overall full range dynamics?
    Woofer size is typically based on cone area + a portion of the surround, the LX woofers are considered 6" woofers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark62 View Post
    Hello,

I’m excited to say that I just ordered a pair of Natural LX’s. I’ve owned the Sierra 2’s and the EX’s, so I’m super stoked to having the LX’s coming my way. These will be my first Natural finish speakers that I will have ever owned. I think they will look great with the Natural grain!

Thank you and enjoy!!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark62 View Post
    Hello,

Cheers. These things are just flat-out amazing. I've just not had the time to write up anything more detailed as a review. As for the natural finish, it's just such a unique look. We love it.