Page 83 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7879808182838485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Checked the tracking.
    changed from delivery by end of day, June 13, 2022 to
    The delivery date will be provided as soon as possible.

I watch movies probably 80% and music 20% and have two questions.
    1. Is the consensus that the LX are superior to the 2EX?
    2. Would it be better for home theater movie purposes to get a Sierra Horizon center instead of a third LX?

Quote Originally Posted by Zips65 View Post
    I watch movies probably 80% and music 20% and have two questions.
    1. Is the consensus that the LX are superior to the 2EX?
    2. Would it be better for home theater movie purposes to get a Sierra Horizon center instead of a third LX?
    1. I have 1 pair LX, and 2 pair 2EX. Currently in my bedroom I have the LX as front mains, a duo v2 for center, and the 2EX as surrounds. There is no doubt in my mind that the LX function better as HT mains than the 2EX. That being said I never have felt the 2EX were lacking. The LX have more punch, and can support multiple listening positions a bit better than the 2EX.

2. In my living room I have towers and a Horizon. The towers are better speakers than the LX, however the price is quite different, at least for my RAAL versions. If you have the budget get a RAAL Horizon, if you have a huge vertical off axis MLP, get a LX center.

Hlam's measurement discussion moved to a new thread, this thread needs to bet back on track. Thank you.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by kyzersoze98 View Post
    I'm house-sitting for a friend this week and decided to bring my Sierra LX speakers with me to do some listening. The system: Emotiva mini-x a-100 amp, bluesound node 2i and Topping E50 dac/pre. The emotiva is a small amp I think it puts out 40watts x 2 at 8 ohms, nothing too fancy or beefy compared to my Nad M25 so my expectations were low. I'm sitting about 12 feet away and let me tell you these speakers sound phenomenal. No volume issues, the speakers sound clear, the sound stage is WIDE, dynamic and the bass is plenty. I also watched the first three episodes of "the boys" and couldn't stop smiling. As an owner of Sierra 2's, 2EX, LX, and Phil BMR monitors these are easily my favorite speakers I've ever owned. They shine with all genres of music. I got off work early and I've been listening to music nonstop for the past 4 hours.

Everything i've thrown at them sounds so good. Elton John, David Bowie, Tool, Fourplay, Yes, Nine Inch Nails, Nat King Cole, Fleetwood Mac, Ariana Grande, Ohio Players, Lauv, Billie Eilish, and Imagine Dragons.

Any EDM fans check this song out: Great Dane "The lonely Ones" the bass in this song is ridiculous.
    Very happy that you are enjoying the new LX!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

So I upgraded my S2's to LX's and stayed up way too long last night listening and enjoying.

As we have all read/heard, the bass on the LXs is phenomenal for its size. I have a peak in my room at about 60hz. With the S2, it was about a 5db peak, with the LX, it is about 7 db higher, so about 12db. Easily handled by room correction. I am getting good response to below 30hz in my room.

For now, just for comparison in my mind, I have left the crossover at 80hz to my Rythmik F15hp.

There is a fair amount more of bass and mid-bass information, and definitely punchier and a bit more visceral even though the crossover is still at 80hz. I will try 60hz later today. I did do straight 2 channel last night, and with the stuff I was playing at the time, I did not feel like it was lacking.

I was bit worried about the better vertical dispersion characteristics of the custom Seas Titan dome tweeter over the RAAL and the reflections in my room. Happy to say I do not detect any issues, but what I do hear is a larger soundstage. This speaker sounds "big" to me in my room. Nothing small about it as I am listening one room over from the living room as I type this.

With the highs, I do not readily detect any differences, and this was the same when we demo'd the LX with the S2's and EX's at Ascend. We know there are some differences, but hard to detect. The same goes for the mids.

I was very happy with my S2s and how my system to was sounding, so I was a bit hesitant on upgrading to the LXs(or justifying). I can honestly say I am happy I did it. We'll see if that holds true.

FWIW, i use Anthem ARC/Genesis for room correction(AVM 60), 400hz and below, and do nothing above that. ARC added 6db more gain to the LXs for level matching to the rest of the speakers compared to the S2s.
    -curtis

Congrats on the new speakers, Curtis.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Congrats on the new speakers, Curtis.
    Thanks!!

New speakers, new amp...I'm done for a while.

Took a break from work and did a little more listening.

There is something from Sierra 2 that I miss, seeing the RAAL tweeter through the grille. I always liked it when the light caught it just right.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-21-2022 at 03:31 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Thanks!!

There is something from Sierra 2 that I miss, seeing the RAAL tweeter through the grille. I always liked it when the light caught it just right.
    Yeah, right. I tell myself the same thing all the time
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Thanks!!

Congrats! Speaking of the amp, do you have it back?