Page 82 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7778798081828384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    I was hoping that the lower extension, compared to my sierra 2's, would blend better with my subs.
    I'm really confused by this. Differences in bass extension below the crossover frequency should have essentially no effect.

A crossover is essentially an instruction to the speakers to no play below a below a specific frequency. Bass extension tells you how low a speaker will play. If you're crossing over at 80Hz, there's no difference between bass extension of 50Hz and 30Hz, because you've told the speakers not to play anything lower than 80Hz anyway.

So I feel like I've missed something. Can you explain?

(Don't get me wrong, there are other bass-related reasons, like midbass punch, one might prefer the LXs to the 2s, even with sub support. But bass extension should not be a concern if you're crossing over to a sub, unless you're setting the crossover really low.)

I am using the same 150Hz crossover.
    That's really high. Human hearing starts to be able to localize sound at around 100Hz, so that means with a setting that high, you should be able to hear the location of your sub(s). This is generally really undesirable. Why is it set so high?
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    I'm really confused by this. Differences in bass extension below the crossover frequency should have essentially no effect.

A crossover is essentially an instruction to the speakers to no play below a below a specific frequency. Bass extension tells you how low a speaker will play. If you're crossing over at 80Hz, there's no difference between bass extension of 50Hz and 30Hz, because you've told the speakers not to play anything lower than 80Hz anyway.

So I feel like I've missed something. Can you explain?

(Don't get me wrong, there are other bass-related reasons, like midbass punch, one might prefer the LXs to the 2s, even with sub support. But bass extension should not be a concern if you're crossing over to a sub, unless you're setting the crossover really low.)

That's really high. Human hearing starts to be able to localize sound at around 100Hz, so that means with a setting that high, you should be able to hear the location of your sub(s). This is generally really undesirable. Why is it set so high?

Exactly....most folks who require that sort of crossover....are likely using satellite or little cube speakers....I understand every situation can vary and like you stated the sub becomes very localized the higher you go...unless your speakers don't provide any benefit around the x over point...it's best to let them handle that domain and cut them off where they really start to dropoff.

Again thou different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by billy p; 06-09-2022 at 09:12 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Fun trip!!

That is 7-8 hour drive to Ascend from SF.

I will be scheduling a trip to Ascend when the LX upgrades come-in. I am still undecided on buying new LXs, or upgrading my Sierra-2's.
    I'm late to this thread for sure. Been a busy spring! Any dates yet on availability? I was close to pulling the trigger on a pair of EXs BC (Before Covid) but would love to A/B the LX and EX. Making a lot more trips between the IE and San Diego these days, so an easy stop over for a proper listen.

I'm house-sitting for a friend this week and decided to bring my Sierra LX speakers with me to do some listening. The system: Emotiva mini-x a-100 amp, bluesound node 2i and Topping E50 dac/pre. The emotiva is a small amp I think it puts out 40watts x 2 at 8 ohms, nothing too fancy or beefy compared to my Nad M25 so my expectations were low. I'm sitting about 12 feet away and let me tell you these speakers sound phenomenal. No volume issues, the speakers sound clear, the sound stage is WIDE, dynamic and the bass is plenty. I also watched the first three episodes of "the boys" and couldn't stop smiling. As an owner of Sierra 2's, 2EX, LX, and Phil BMR monitors these are easily my favorite speakers I've ever owned. They shine with all genres of music. I got off work early and I've been listening to music nonstop for the past 4 hours.

Everything i've thrown at them sounds so good. Elton John, David Bowie, Tool, Fourplay, Yes, Nine Inch Nails, Nat King Cole, Fleetwood Mac, Ariana Grande, Ohio Players, Lauv, Billie Eilish, and Imagine Dragons.

Any EDM fans check this song out: Great Dane "The lonely Ones" the bass in this song is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by muaddib View Post
    Was the real speaker company GR research?
    It's funny that you say that... because if my memory serves me correctly...he(Hlam) had AV123.. I think DR....was part of that design team...thou I could be mistaken...lol

Lord knows I'd never give that guy any props.
    Last edited by billy p; 06-13-2022 at 11:00 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    It's funny that you say that... because if my memory serves me correctly...he(Hlam) had AV123.. I think DR....was part of that design team...thou I could be mistaken...lol

Lord knows I'd never give that guy any props.
    I feel the same way.

I think he worked on at least one of the bookshelf models. I can't remember the name. (I just did a quick look, he did work on others, but the bookshelf was the X-LS.)

I went to a comparison once, I brought a pair of CBM-170SE's, and there were a few pairs of AV123 bookshelves. Two pairs of the AV123 bookshelves were the same model where DR was the "engineer". Everyone there felt the Ascends sounded best. The odd thing was the two pairs of AV123's that were supposedly the same, sounded significantly different. The comparison started a bit of a stir because the owners of the AV123 bookshelves liked the Ascend, and the fact that the two pairs of the AV123 monitors, that were supposed to be the same, sounded different. All kinds of "reasons" were formulated.

Sorry...this is a sidetrack of this LX thread.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-13-2022 at 01:03 PM.
    -curtis

I ordered a speaker from them once. It showed up missing a tweeter. :-)

My center channel LX was delivered on schedule today.
    The pair for surround channels did not show up. Lost in Space?

Did you check the tracking info?
    I recall when I got my Towers, although shipped the same day, UPS delivered them on consecutive days.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by kyzersoze98 View Post
    As an owner of Sierra 2's, 2EX, LX, and Phil BMR monitors these are easily my favorite speakers I've ever owned.
    I'd be interested in hearing more about how the LXs compare with the BMRs.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.