Page 8 of 108 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Big News! Something New, Something A Bit Different...

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Dave, I'm very active over at Audioholics, one of the regulars. Do you mind me sharing images and info from your posts on the forums over there? I think Ascend Acoustics deserves a little more love and I'm happy to share this announcement and some details with everyone. This looks like a truly unique and differently designed speaker.
    Hey Pogre - I have no issues with anyone sharing the info and data across the forums or anywhere for that matter. The LX is not vaporware and we hope to start shipping by the end of this month. A small shipment of woofers and tweeters were supposed to be here already, but they got delivered to the other coast for some reason and are now on "the rail" on their way to us.

Freight is such a mess right now, and these parts are coming from Norway (direct from SEAS) - we usually have never had a single issue with getting deliveries from Norway.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
    Dave,

I would also ask the same for posting at AVSForum. There is already an active thread there discussing your announcement here.
    Yes, of course... All are welcome to share the news with anyone and anywhere
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post
    Hey Dave, really awesome looking new speakers! I love the approach that you've taken with these. Any chance you'll be releasing distortion measurements for the LX? Even the regular Klippel distortion panel would be very enlightening on the performance of these new drivers.
    Distortion is excellent, and I will be posting this. Before I do, I wanted to run distortion at a higher level (101dB). However, at this point all I have is my original prototype pair of completely assembled LX. We have demos scheduled for this week and because of the high spl's involved, I can't take the risk of possible damage. There is no way 101dB at 1 meter will damage these speakers, but I have made some errors on setting the levels for the NFS transfer function before, and I can't risk damaging the prototypes. Once we have more components on hand (we are hoping 2 weeks max) - I'll run more distortion measurements.

That all said, distortion is very low - these woofers and tweeters are designed for low distortion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I just knew something was happening in this mad scientist's laboratory. It's been far too quiet for far too long! New strategy to develop in total secrecy, but I understand how much easier it must be to not have to deal with constant questions, comments, and guesswork.

If I might ask, what is the bass extension of these new speakers?

Jay
    Hi Jay,

Original Sierra-1 was developed in total secrecy, so I took the same approach this time.

If I might ask, what is the bass extension of these new speakers?
    Excellent question, and to be honest, I don't know how to list it. The NFS measurements show the LX has far deeper bass extension than any passive bookshelf speaker measured by ASR (as well as most towers). What I am finding is that manufacturers published bass extension dramatically differs from what the NFS measures. I trust the NFS measurements, but this is a problem and I am not sure how to handle this (one reason for my delay in publishing specs)

For example, the Paradigm Prestige 15B published specification is -2dB at 57Hz. That is impressive, however, NFS measurements show that actual -2dB point is ~100Hz.

With our LX, the "modeled" -3dB point is an amazing 36Hz. NFS measurements show that actual -3dB = 43Hz. In our listening room, with room gain, I measured nearly flat to 28Hz, which corresponds well to the NFS measured -10dB point of 33Hz.

Do I list specs per NFS measurements, which to the majority of the public, will make it appear as if many other 2-way bookshelf speakers have deeper bass extension, when in reality - they aren't even close.

Take for example Dennis's BMR monitor. He lists the anechoic -2dB point at 36Hz, when in reality, it is much much higher than that. Erin measured it at -3dB at 62Hz - and that is with the original and larger SCAN woofer that extends deeper.

It is also the same for our Sierra-2EX etc.

I don't know what to do regarding listing bass extension....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Maybe consult Klippel with these NFS/ASR differential data points?!?
    Last edited by theophile; 03-19-2022 at 06:39 PM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Dave,

Maybe consult Klippel with these NFS/ASR differential data points?!?
    The issue isn't with the NFS measurements (they are brutally accurate) - it is with the outdated inaccurate techniques used by other manufacturers, or just complete exaggeration. In our case, we have previously used accepted close micing of woofer and port, combined with proper weighted averages. (Stereophile measurements are a good example of this, and they also use a MLSSA system)

NFS measurements are the most accurate, by far.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I don't know what to do regarding listing bass extension....
    Why not be explicit about what type of +/-db response you are listing, and/or providing multiple explicit data points. I am not sure but isn't NFS generating a free-field response equivalent to anechoic chamber?

Edit: I feel Neumann are the leading example for provided data, eg see https://en-de.neumann.com/kh-120-a-g#technical-data
    Last edited by mmi; 03-19-2022 at 07:22 PM.

So how would one decide between the LX or EX and will we see an update on the duo for a centre that will match the performance of the LX and EX?

Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    Why not be explicit about what type of +/-db response you are listing, and/or providing multiple explicit data points. I am not sure but isn't NFS generating a free-field response equivalent to anechoic chamber?

Edit: I feel Neumann are the leading example for provided data, eg see https://en-de.neumann.com/kh-120-a-g#technical-data
    Yes, NFS measurements are true anechoic. Neumann are powered monitors, a bit different and not a speaker that any potential purchaser of our LX would be looking at for a comparison. I must take into account how our competitors list bass extension. Other than Revel, Ascend doesn't have any competitors capable of such measurement accuracy. I think I've come up with something that might work, while being honest yet being able to compare to other specs.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    So how would one decide between the LX or EX and will we see an update on the duo for a centre that will match the performance of the LX and EX?
    I will be posting more info on LX vs EX in the conclusion in about an hour or so. For anyone trying to decide between LX or EX, best to email me to discuss.

Much like everything else these days, we are just waiting on parts to be delivered for Duo V2
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com