Page 79 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7475767778798081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    100% correct, our RAAL ribbons have the lowest stored energy of any commercial tweeters available. In fact, the only tweeter that would have less stored energy (no stored energy in fact) would be a plasma tweeter. There is actually nothing in a RAAL tweeter other than the conductor itself (the aluminum ribbon) to store any energy.
    Wow, never even heard of plasma tweeters before but read up on it after seeing this and it's very interesting. Literally, a tweeter "to die for" or "a killer tweeter".

Also, how would the diamond tweeter pair with the LX woofer?
    Last edited by hometheater; 05-21-2022 at 12:48 AM.

This thread takes me back to an old one in which I recall Dave Fabrikant described the TAD Reference One as his benchmark speaker. Andrew Jones designs great speakers but with new technology and straight forward design/materials, I wonder whether a majority of listeners would prefer an LX over a TAD CR1 in a blind level-matched test.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    This thread takes me back to an old one in which I recall Dave Fabrikant described the TAD Reference One as his benchmark speaker. Andrew Jones designs great speakers but with new technology and straight forward design/materials, I wonder whether a majority of listeners would prefer an LX over a TAD CR1 in a blind level-matched test.
    I love the TAD Reference One. I think I have heard them 3-4 times over the years. I have only heard the CR1 once, and that was not in good setting.

I am willing to bet the cost of the CR1 cabinets costs more than a pair of LXs. A comparison would definitely be interesting.

Now, who has a pair of CR1's?
    Last edited by curtis; 05-23-2022 at 01:03 PM.
    -curtis

Funny. A decade ago, Pioneer (TAD) also made a reference large bookshelf speaker named the S-2EX based on trickle-down tech from the TAD Reference One compact. That would be a funny comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Funny. A decade ago, Pioneer (TAD) also made a reference large bookshelf speaker named the S-2EX based on trickle-down tech from the TAD Reference One compact. That would be a funny comparison.
    Also a tower too, the S-4EX. I heard them in a really large room, and I wasn't in a good spot.

For some reason, the S-2EX, like the CR1, was treated like a stepchild at the show I saw them. They were setup in a room, but nobody was really running the demo, so I couldn't hear anything with them.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by hometheater View Post
    Also, how would the diamond tweeter pair with the LX woofer?
    Extremely well but it is cost prohibitive.

We are looking at a price of between $7K - $8K for a pair of LX Diamonds, but we would be happy to build a set for anyone seriously interested.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Big thanks to everyone for their patience as we await delivery of the next round of LX parts.

I have good news and bad news to share...

First the bad, due to so much uncertainty with ocean shipping these days, we have decided to ship the entire batch of LX woofers and tweeters by air. The bad news is for us due to the expense of shipping about 2000 pounds by air.

And now for the good news, we are shipping everything by air so we should have all necessary components to once again start production and shipping of Sierra LX within an estimated 2 weeks.

Pre-order pricing will end on May 31st, if you are waiting to place an order - now is the time. Pricing will be increasing by $100 per pair.

I believe we will also be able to offer some LX kits. I am not yet sure if we will post the kits on the main site as we will need to limit LX kit sales at least until we can determine when the next production run of LX components will be available. If you would like to purchase LX kits, please give us a call and speak with Dina to get on her list, or send her an email. Those on the list will eventually receive an email with purchase information.

Now that I have all costs needed, I will be able to determine LX kit pricing over the next few days.

Again, big thanks to everyone for their continued patience!
    Last edited by davef; 05-25-2022 at 12:04 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Big thanks to everyone for their patience as we await delivery of the next round of LX parts.

I have good news and bad news to share...

First the bad, due to so much uncertainty with ocean shipping these days, we have decided to ship the entire batch of LX woofers and tweeters by air. The bad news is for us due to the expense of shipping about 2000 pounds by air.

And now for the good news, we are shipping everything by air so we should have all necessary components to once again start production and shipping of Sierra LX within an estimated 2 weeks.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to listening to them.

Anyone have any thoughts on how these would hold up wall mounted? My wife is pushing back on the idea of having to buy more stands/furniture to put them on because it's another thing to tie into the rest of the decor, so she asked if I would be willing to wall mount them instead.

I found this bracket which seems like it would work from a size/weight perspective, but will obviously mean the speakers are much closer to the wall than is generally advised. Is this the kind of thing that's a real no-no and would cause real sound quality issues or is it more like 'not ideal but you can get away with it if you have to'?

Quote Originally Posted by deg0ey View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on how these would hold up wall mounted? My wife is pushing back on the idea of having to buy more stands/furniture to put them on because it's another thing to tie into the rest of the decor, so she asked if I would be willing to wall mount them instead.

I found this bracket which seems like it would work from a size/weight perspective, but will obviously mean the speakers are much closer to the wall than is generally advised. Is this the kind of thing that's a real no-no and would cause real sound quality issues or is it more like 'not ideal but you can get away with it if you have to'?
    In some ways, I think stands are easier to integrate into a room than speakers protruding from the walls. Just a thought. I know you need the wife acceptance factor.

A couple of things...

The Sierra bookshelves are not exactly small. I would make a mock up of the speaker made of cardboard to get an idea on how they will look on the wall.

That said, I think it would safer to build small shelves for the speakers. If you crossover to 80hz to a sub, I think you will be fine with the speakers a few inches from the wall, especially if you are using room correction for the bass/mid-bass region.
    Last edited by curtis; 05-27-2022 at 10:10 AM.
    -curtis