Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7374757677787980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Thanks....Curtis... I should've chosen my words wiser...thou iirc....with respect to the NrT....that added sparkle in the higher frequencies.... conceivably could be stored energy... IMO...it's not a bad thing...per se...for some folks...it's shrill sounding... I attribute it to imaging...lol...yymv...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Thanks....Curtis... I should've chosen my words wiser...thou iirc....with respect to the NrT....that added sparkle in the higher frequencies.... conceivably could be stored energy... IMO...it's not a bad thing...per se...for some folks...it's shrill sounding... I attribute it to imaging...lol...yymv...
    I compared, along with a few others, the Sierra-1 and Sierra-1NRT. Whatever you want to call it, the NRT definitely had more treble. Not a bad thing at all.
    -curtis

Btw...I'll be visiting SF from 09/28-10/05.
    Staying near the wharf...tickets for Giants vs. Arizona upon arrival and the big one....Rams vs 9ers on Monday. In between we'd like to do Sonoma wine tour during the weekend...if time permits...fingers crossed....drive down to Ascend....thou at this time...it's number 4 on that bucket list...and a stretch.
    Last edited by billy p; 05-20-2022 at 01:56 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Btw...I'll be visiting SF from 09/28-10/05.
    Staying near the wharf...tickets for Giants vs. Arizona upon arrival and the big one....Rams vs 9ers on Monday. In between we'd like to do Sonoma wine tour during the weekend...if time permits...fingers crossed....drive down to Ascend....thou at this time...it's number 4 on that bucket list...and a stretch.
    Fun trip!!

That is 7-8 hour drive to Ascend from SF.

I will be scheduling a trip to Ascend when the LX upgrades come-in. I am still undecided on buying new LXs, or upgrading my Sierra-2's.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Fun trip!!

That is 7-8 hour drive to Ascend from SF.

I will be scheduling a trip to Ascend when the LX upgrades come-in. I am still undecided on buying new LXs, or upgrading my Sierra-2's.
    Yes I'm interested in hearing the LX upgrade pricing.

Stored energy is bad, always bad, it releases after the fundamental impulse and interferes with the response. What you hear in the NrT dome compared to the stock Sierra-1 dome is the following:

1. Higher frequency extension because the moving mass of the NrT is lower than the Sierra-1 and the neodymium magnet produces a more powerful magnetic field.

2. LESS stored energy compared to the stock dome, which results in a cleaner and more transparent sound, this is due to a shorter and lower mass voice coil and the more powerful motor assembly.

3. Increased treble energy because of the combination of # 1 and different voicing in the crossover.

4. A cleaner and more transparent response due to the NrT having a vastly superior damping chamber compared to the stock dome. This is due to the use of a neodymium ring magnet, (the Nr in the NrT ), There is no magnet directly behind the dome, thus creating a very large, tuned damping chamber that nearly fully absorbs the rear-wave radiation from the dome, rather than it reflecting off the magnet and coming back out the front, out-of-phase with the fundamental response.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Maybe I’m misreading/misinterpreting what you are saying. But, I would think the ribbon tweeter would have less stored energy than the titanium dome tweeter. Not sure about the woofers though in the LX vs the 2 EX.
    100% correct, our RAAL ribbons have the lowest stored energy of any commercial tweeters available. In fact, the only tweeter that would have less stored energy (no stored energy in fact) would be a plasma tweeter. There is actually nothing in a RAAL tweeter other than the conductor itself (the aluminum ribbon) to store any energy.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    "
    On the old site, there was a PDF on the RAAL upgrade that touched upon "stored energy". On the new site, that link is broken.
    https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/sierra-series-pairs/products/sierra-tower-pair
    Dang it, the old site is now lost in the nether (I will miss it). I have to find that document!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crk140 View Post
    I don't have the curve woofer... I have nrt and the ex woofer
    We would be happy to offer a custom model with NrT dome + LX woofer. The LX tweeter is technically the better tweeter, with lower distortion, higher power handling and far superior dispersion - but, I can definitely see the appeal for our NrT.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Yes, that's exactly right, I bought a pair of LXs in satin dark cherry and then swapped the internals with my EXs, which were housed in my ~2010 cabinets, which are that light cherry gloss.

LX upgrade kits are now listed on the main site, but I don't know if anyone has actually received one yet.
    Just to clarify, LX upgrade kits have not been posted anywhere. I have not yet determined pricing and that is because we haven't been able to confirm shipment costs just yet. The good news is that the shipment will be leaving Norway next week so I will soon be able to calculate landed costs, and thus have retail pricing on the LX kits.

Now for the bad news, we have an ever growing very large backorder to fulfill, I am not sure how many kits we will be able to fulfill as we must prioritize fully assembled speakers.

With that in mind, if Dina does not have you on her LX upgrade kit yet, please call her at the office or send her an email, priority will be given to those on the list.

Thanks!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com