Page 6 of 108 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Big News! Something New, Something A Bit Different...

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Exactly! As I stated at the beginning, it was our intention to offer something a bit different and this speaker is huge (sound-wise) / loud / slam / fun / deep bass and high power handling
    Looking forward to your speaker journey posts late at night feels more like waiting for the next instalment of Harry Potter. You are a gifted writer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Sounds exciting! I see some questions about option to retrofit with the Sierra 1-2, but I'm wondering if a guy already has RAAL tweets in the 2 or 2EX is this new one going to offer that much more?

Dave, you said you had trouble telling them apart, right?
    Yes, they are similar sounding with regards to the highs and mids. However, I do find the 2EX to be a bit more spacious sounding.

It really comes down to what types of music you listen to regarding whether or not this new speaker will be an improvement. Certainly for home theater, and definitely for any type of rock or metal. Hopefully, we will have Sierra-2EX owners also try this new speaker so that people will post their impressions too.

We have a pair in our demo room just begging for people to come listen...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    I just googled the driver that this customized woofer is based on. The 22mm spec is maximum travel (which I take is the limit before damage) but the real usable “linear travel” (i.e. limit before it starts distorting really bad) is 14mm which is still pretty respectable I think.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...saAlG7EALw_wcB
    Not quite, but you do bring up a good point.

That 14mm excursion you mentioned is known as Xmax. This is at the maximum point where the same amount of coil windings remain in the magnetic gap so the magnetic field remains linear. Xmax is sometimes also known as Xlin. At 14mm and less, the magnetic field is purely linear.

When Xmax is exceeded, the magnetic strength lessens - this doesn't necessarily cause more distortion, but it is at this point where dynamic compression slowly starts creeping in. On impacts or deep bass, woofers almost always exceed Xmax, it is not something you notice or is audible.

The 22mm excursion I mentioned is also known as Xmech. It is the actual mechanical excursion maximum, which in the case of this woofer, where the spider and surround fully limit further excursion and the windings are out of the magnetic gap. Distortion at this extreme excursion will be huge and I am not sure if reaching this amount of excursion would even be possible as Klippel analysis of this motor assembly reveals that it would take ~ 300 watts into this woofer to exceed Xmax by only +/- 15%

You can see the Bl vs excursion graph here, for the motor assembly we are using:

https://audioxpress.com/assets/uploa...itanWoofer.png

BTW, this shows exceptional Bl linearity!
    Last edited by davef; 03-17-2022 at 07:52 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

I have been following this thread for days now and find the idea and execution very interesting. Those are some very impressive graphs and numbers! I have an original set of Sierra-1's so if you can include pricing for an upgrade at some point that would be great. I am pretty sure I remember there is an upgrade option to the 2EX drivers, so I am interested in what or if there is one for this new setup.
    Speakers: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Rythmik L12 sub
    Pre/Amp: HK3490 (120w)
    Source: Schiit Modi 3+, Tidal HD

Dave,

I'm enjoying the reveal! This new LX version looks fantastic. I am wondering this: Since you designed this with the benefit of the Klippel and have optimized everything, including the crossover, has the idea crossed your mind to use the Klippel to tweak/improve existing speakers' crossovers, like the 2EX, etc.? Would be interesting to see what improvements lie beneath the surface!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Wow, I don’t really “need” any more speakers, but I guess I can find a spot for these. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Dave,

I'm enjoying the reveal! This new LX version looks fantastic. I am wondering this: Since you designed this with the benefit of the Klippel and have optimized everything, including the crossover, has the idea crossed your mind to use the Klippel to tweak/improve existing speakers' crossovers, like the 2EX, etc.? Would be interesting to see what improvements lie beneath the surface!
    I’m not sure there’s a lot left to do with the 2EX as it already measures extremely well (and sounds great too!). I think the slight imperfections are the result of the trade-offs with using the RAAL 64-10 in a 2-way. Perhaps there’s updates that can be made on the CBM-170 or CMT-340? But not sure what the ROI would be for Dave on the lower end models.

For me I’d love to see a new/updated tower with some of the fancy new drivers Dave has at his disposal , or an “end game” bookshelf using the 70-20XR. 😊

Sounds like a great new addition to the lineup Dave! Well done

Also curious if there are any advantages to using these woofers in the Towers? By utilizing the new measuring system, perhaps some gains can be achieved by using the new woofers and redesigning the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by RMW View Post
    Wow, I don’t really “need” any more speakers, but I guess I can find a spot for these. :-)
    I haven't "needed" new speakers the last 3 or 4 times I bought them!

I have issues... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RMW View Post
    I’m not sure there’s a lot left to do with the 2EX as it already measures extremely well (and sounds great too!). I think the slight imperfections are the result of the trade-offs with using the RAAL 64-10 in a 2-way. Perhaps there’s updates that can be made on the CBM-170 or CMT-340? But not sure what the ROI would be for Dave on the lower end models.

For me I’d love to see a new/updated tower with some of the fancy new drivers Dave has at his disposal , or an “end game” bookshelf using the 70-20XR. 😊
    Oh boy, a tower update would get my attention too! Agree with you about the 2EX. It's already a fantastic speaker. The LX definitely looks interesting too, but I'd just buy the whole speakers before I'd swap out my 2EX. Like you said, there isn't a whole lot to improve there. I do know Dave has built at least 1 custom 2 EX with the 70/20 RAAL but I'd have to dig a little to find the post...

Here we go!

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...6952#post66952

IMG_6307 (1).jpg

Those look so nice!