Thread: CBM-170SE as rear surround speakers with Sierra-1's in front?

Default CBM-170SE as rear surround speakers with Sierra-1's in front?

Appreciate input on how good a sound match would result by adding a pair of CBM-170SE as rears in home theater surround system with my current Sierra-1's (orig) in front along with subwoofer. Thanks!

Default Re: CBM-170SE as rear surround speakers with Sierra-1's in front?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Appreciate input on how good a sound match would result by adding a pair of CBM-170SE as rears in home theater surround system with my current Sierra-1's (orig) in front along with subwoofer. Thanks!
    Hi BarryG,

I had this same set-up - LCR Sierra 1s, CBM-170SE as rear surrounds, and a subwoofer - for several years. In my experience, the CBM-170SE are very good speakers in this arrangement. I did use my NAD AVR's Dirac Live to make phase, distance and level adjustments, but I would have done so even if I had used two more Sierra-1s as surround speakers. Later I added a Sierra Horizon with RAAL and it still sounded great in combination with the Sierra-1 LR and the CBM-170s.

In short, no need to worry about matching - it would sound great.
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

Sound match is excellent, you can go with either our CBM-170's or our HTM-200's as surrounds. For nearly a decade, this was our most popular system (Sierra-1 fronts + 170 surrounds)

Hope this helps and please feel free to reach out directly.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Is there a good wall mount bracket that I can screw into a single vertical wall stud and has a horizontal arm that I can screw into the threaded inserts on the back of the CBM-170SE?

The best I can come up with is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/DAGCUXIN-Univ.../dp/B0B6JQNJ6S - I would then fashion a horizontal mounting arm from 1.5in x 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar stock and screw it to the CBM-170SE threaded inserts and to the wall mount. Comments?

(I am assuming there are two threaded inserts oriented horizontally on the back of the CBM-170SE)
    Last edited by BarryG; 07-17-2023 at 06:47 AM.

Is there a good wall mount bracket that I can screw into a single vertical wall stud and has a horizontal arm that I can screw into the threaded inserts on the back of the CBM-170SE?

The best I can come up with is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/DAGCUXIN-Univ.../dp/B0B6JQNJ6S - I would then fashion a horizontal mounting arm from 1.5in x 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar stock and screw it to the CBM-170SE threaded inserts and to the wall mount. Comments?

(I am assuming there are two threaded inserts oriented horizontally on the back of the CBM-170SE)
    Hi Barry,

The mount you linked to is actually the exact mount we recommend for both our 170's and 200's

The latest version of the 170SE cabinet has a single threaded insert on the back:

170SE_lt_bk_hr.jpg
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I am getting the 170SEs as rear surrounds … and the posted mounts are no longer available ?

Any other recommendations ?

For total system, I have settled on 340 SE fronts and 170 SEs rears with a TBD sub.

Speaking of … I am getting the tower stands for the front left/right … and good recommendations for the front center horizontally positioned 340 SE.

I am building out a 13x16 old school den ( not media room) … and going against the grain by deciding against a 120” projector and getting a 98” or 100” TV … as the room will be used more like an everyday gathering place with bright lights often ((daily TV, daily sports and night movies) vs a dedicated light controlled media room used primarily for movies and sports (been there done that as well.)

And I decided against the UST projectors as well … having had a projector … I don’t think I would enjoy the always immersive experience of a 120” screen … for all viewing activities !!!!

All that said …. I think I will have 5.1 channels of audio covered well … and eventually I will add 2 in ceiling speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rperry96 View Post
    the posted mounts are no longer available ? Any other recommendations ?
    I think these are the same mounts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QJZWPQW

fwiw, I like the mounts but the included molly bolts were garbage and I provided my own
    Last edited by BarryG; 02-27-2024 at 07:09 AM.

I think these are the same mounts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QJZWPQW

fwiw, I like the mounts but the included molly bolts were garbage and I provided my own
    Yes, these are the exact same wall mounts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Yes, these are the exact same wall mounts.
    Thanks … I just placed my order for these.

This will sound awesome. I've used this exact system.