Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DVD player suggestions?

Curtis,
    I've seen the 2910 @ ecost but not the 2900. Link?

David

Here is the link...hope to get it sometime this week.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=272986

Brad.....I read a lot, and communicated with a couple of people that have seen both in action on their TV's. In everything I have read, in the very least, the 2900 was almost equal to the 2910, but in most cases, the video output of the 2900 was favored. This is the component connection on the 2900 vs the digital connection on the 2910. The build of the 2900 is also more robust, and 2900 is much faster in reacting to menu selections and layer changes.

My new TV has a DVI connector, but I figure I will just use it for my Moxi box when the DVI output is enabled.
    -curtis

That Denon sure seems to be "tate of the art!" Also I think, "it heaven on earth!"

Congrats Curtis, I think that 2900 will be a fine unit.

Randy

OK....got to play with the 2900 some last night and this morning.

The video quality is noticeably better than my 563a. Colors are more vivid and picture sharper.....better depth. It is not a "night and day" difference...but easily noticeable. Makes me wonder how much different it is than the 2910.

Audio is outstanding. I went back between the DACs on my pre/pro and the 2900......so far I am leaning toward the 2900, but much more listening needs to be done. Played one DVD-A.....again...outstanding.

One downside, it seems to have issues with some DVD-R's that I have burned. From what I have read, it is finicky on the media. I can get them all to play, it is just that some to not start properly. From what I have read, it seems to like DVD+R discs better than DVD-R. Not a big deal.
    -curtis

Really loving the 2900.

Found out it does not like cheap DVD-R media. I re-burned, from copies it did not like, to copies of those copies onto recommended media and have had no problems.
    -curtis

where did you end up getting it from curtis?
    powdered toast man away!

I got a refurb unit from eCost.com.
    -curtis

Curtis, still loving your 2900? I beleive a new source would benifit my setup. Any worries going refurb? Quick update please.

Frank

Yup.....still loving it...and would buy a refurb again.
    -curtis

I'm looking for some suggestions for an i-link enabled universal media player (minus LD, and VHS). It is a relatively new technology as of right now, so the prices are pretty expensive, that much I do understand.

I would be matching it with a pioneer elite 56txi, which I got through a great deal for 500 bucks new, and am looking for a DVD player that isn't as expensive, maybe 200-300 at most, though I really like the elite line, and think it would be nice to have matching elites.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on paritcular models? I was looking at the 47ai, but the price is pretty expensive, and it did or still does exhibit the chroma bug problem, and if I'm going to drop 500 bucks on a dvd player, when I can just pay 30-40 for a not so great but gets the job done DVD player, it doesn't make much sense to me.

The other option is to wait, which is probably what I'm going to do unless convinced otherwise.

I'll probably be mating this with Ascend 340-cmts all around, in a 5.1 or maybe a 6.1 with an onix rs 650 sig for fun/movies, unless somehow it is relatively matched with the ascends.

TIA,

C'est