Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-EX on Sanus stands — securing options?

Default 2-EX on Sanus stands — securing options?

I had them on my diy mdf stands that are nearly the same dimensions as the speakers. Sand filled, they are stout. But not asthetically pleasing. I picked up Sanus steel stands and they look better and, unfilled, are not wobbly but don’t inspire confidence. I have nephews that visit, guests that aren’t “av aware” and feel that the Sierras are at risk.

I searched threads but do people generally try to trickle sand into these stands? Are 3m command strips safe for the finish long-term? Anyone diy’d a strap that attaches to the insert on the back of the speaker (i assume that is there for the Ascend-made stands).

Thoughts?

Default Re: 2-EX on Sanus stands — securing options?

I have Sanus SF-26 stands for my 2EX's. I recently filled both columns of each stand with play sand from Home Depot. I used a funnel over one of the small holes in the cap plate and it worked fine, just have to have patience. I only filled each column until there was no more ringing when I tapped the tube.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Some people enlarge one or more of the holes on the top of each tube with a drill to make filling with sand easier. I've seen photos and videos where people wrapped blue painters tape around the top of each tube several inches above the edge and then poured sand onto the holes and let it sift.

Here's a thread I had bookmarked about using a metal bracket to secure a Sierra to a stand.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...d-height/page2
    Last edited by High Fidelity; 02-18-2022 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by High Fidelity View Post
    Some people enlarge one or more of the holes on the top of each tube with a drill to make filling with sand easier. I've seen photos and videos where people wrapped blue painters tape around the top of each tube several inches above the edge and then poured sand onto the holes and let it sift.

Here's a thread I had bookmarked about using a metal bracket to secure a Sierra to a stand.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...d-height/page2
    I thought about using a drill to enlarge a hole, but did not want to deal with the metal chips. I did the filling with the stands in their listening positions and did not want to move them.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks all.

I modified my diy mdf stands and will do the isolated strap mentioned above. I haven’t decided yet if the Sanus are worth keeping yet. The contemporary look is nice, but I really wish the too plate was bigger.

This is a tough issue with regard to kids. If I didn’t have kids, I would be very very happy with the adhesion provided by BlueTak on my Sanus stands which are sand filled. My Sierra bookshelves are no longer out on stands because of the kid issue since I haven’t found stealth device that will secure the Sierras to a stand without additional drilling….. something that takes advantage of the single hole in the back of the speaker which applies some clamping to the stand would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    This is a tough issue with regard to kids. If I didn’t have kids, I would be very very happy with the adhesion provided by BlueTak on my Sanus stands which are sand filled. My Sierra bookshelves are no longer out on stands because of the kid issue since I haven’t found stealth device that will secure the Sierras to a stand without additional drilling….. something that takes advantage of the single hole in the back of the speaker which applies some clamping to the stand would be nice.
    I have seen someone use the threaded insert on the speakers and create a bracket to attach the speakers to stands.

(oh...that bracket/strap is mentioned in this thread)
    -curtis

Just a dumb suggestion maybe Dave, so feel free to toss it. But it seems to me that a VESA MIS-D mount on the back or bottom of your bookshelf sized speakers would perhaps make these mounting problems moot. And it would make it easy to wall mount speakers for surround duty too. Just because it's the prevailing standard for mounting flat screens (TVs, computer monitors) to walls, desks, etc. doesn't mean you can't also use the same standards and hardware to mount speakers. With the right swivel mounts it would make an elegant solution (and/or better WAF) to wall mounting too. Just something to think about....
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Just a dumb suggestion maybe Dave, so feel free to toss it. But it seems to me that a VESA MIS-D mount on the back or bottom of your bookshelf sized speakers would perhaps make these mounting problems moot. And it would make it easy to wall mount speakers for surround duty too. Just because it's the prevailing standard for mounting flat screens (TVs, computer monitors) to walls, desks, etc. doesn't mean you can't also use the same standards and hardware to mount speakers. With the right swivel mounts it would make an elegant solution (and/or better WAF) to wall mounting too. Just something to think about....
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Old post but when I sold a pair of RP600m connected to monolith stands with bluetac, they were sold as one piece. And were so stuck we were able to carry them sideways like towers. That said I'm not sure what the finish would look like if he tries to remove them.