Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small satellites as surrounds - Focal Dome Flax or Gallo Micro

Default Re: Small satellites as surrounds - Focal Dome Flax or Gallo Micro

I bought a couple pairs of the SVS Elevation speakers for Atmos height speakers. I played a pair full range in a stereo configuration, and they sounded pretty good except for the port chuffing that was extremely annoying. Properly crossed over at 80hz, they no longer exhibited the port noise. In their limited assignment as Atmos height speakers, I found the Elevations to be a good fit.

If the quality of the sound field is truly important to you (and some may not be terribly picky about this aspect), I don't find a dome tweeter to match up well with a ribbon equipped front stage. Especially if 5.1 or 7.1 music tracks will be a substantial part of the system usage (for instance Blu-Ray concerts), I'd highly recommend a full ribbon complement at ear level. I'm not sure others feel the same way, until you hear a surround sound field done right, I would suggest you don't know what you're missing.

WAF will dissipate once a woman (who usually has better hearing than her male counterpart) gets to indulge in a truly magnificent surround experience.

Standard legal disclaimer applies to my comments,

Jay

I can understand the implementation for rear channels with ribbon monitors if listening to Auro 3D music or a multi-channel SACD but the limited vertical dispersion of the ribbon is a real minus for ceiling channels as I'd want broad dispersion to hit all potential viewer locations. I'm tempted to try the Klipsch RP-500SA as reflective Atmos enabled speakers and see how much ceiling reflection I can get.

You don't know my wife. She could care less. She is happy with built-in speakers in the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc;67770P
    You're right that I should try to keep the Sierra Towers up front! I had sold them once before and I ended up purchasing another pair the following year out of regret as I missed the airy transparency of the tweeters. Once you've heard them, it is so difficult to listen to something else. Aside from the limited vertical listening window which is an issue if I'm listening to music while walking around the room, it is such an ideal speaker.
    I hear you about missing your towers man. I had mine for a few months and had to go without for a couple of weeks so I hooked my old towers back up while I waited and was immediately taken back at the difference. My Ultra towers that I loved for so long sounded fuzzy and etched compared to my Sierras with RAALS. I had never thought that about my Ultras! I know it's an old canard but... my wife even noticed. I looked over at her and she was sitting there with a frown and her nose wrinkled.

We eventually acclimated and got used to it again, but it's pretty clear we've been spoiled, lol.

I think those Prime Sats will work out pretty well for you. Like you said unless you're listening to a lot of multichannel music effect speakers don't really get that much critical action outside the occasional whiz, bang or s'plosion.