Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small satellites as surrounds - Focal Dome Flax or Gallo Micro

Default Small satellites as surrounds - Focal Dome Flax or Gallo Micro

I’m running RAAL towers and a Duo Ribbon center but I’m looking for aesthetically subtle appearing surrounds with decent sound. I am looking at Focal Dome Flax satellites and Gallo Micro SE satellites for surrounds and ceiling channels. I doubt there will be a perfect timbre match but as long as the sound is reasonable, aesthetics may win over perfect timbre. Has anyone tried the Gallos or Focals with their Ascend setup?

I love my Ascends but with my current situation it may make sense to get the Focal Aria 900 center channel and run the dome satellites for L R and surrounds/ceilings unless we move soon. It would make me sad to part with my Ascends.
    Last edited by bkdc; 02-13-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Default Re: Small satellites as surrounds - Focal Dome Flax or Gallo Micro

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    I’m running RAAL towers and a Duo Ribbon center but I’m looking for aesthetically subtle appearing surrounds with decent sound. I am looking at Focal Dome Flax satellites and Gallo Micro SE satellites for surrounds and ceiling channels. I doubt there will be a perfect timbre match but as long as the sound is reasonable, aesthetics may win over perfect timbre. Has anyone tried the Gallos or Focals with their Ascend setup?

I love my Ascends but with my current situation it may make sense to get the Focal Aria 900 center channel and run the dome satellites for L R and surrounds/ceilings unless we move soon. It would make me sad to part with my Ascends.
    I would keep the Ascends up front and try the smaller surrounds. I think they will match well enough.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I would keep the Ascends up front and try the smaller surrounds. I think they will match well enough.
    But I wonder how high the crossover will have to be for the smaller surrounds, and if it will cause any issues with being able to locate sounds coming from the subwoofer.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    But I wonder how high the crossover will have to be for the smaller surrounds, and if it will cause any issues with being able to locate sounds coming from the subwoofer.
    The Focal dome flax speakers have a -3dB point at 80Hz. They will crossover just fine with a subwoofer especially since they are going to be wall mounted. Focal’s are pretty neutral speakers so I think they will blend just fine with the Ascend speakers. Definitely keep the Ascend’s up front and just use those Focal’s as surrounds.

The Luna’s and HTM 200’s are also quite compact and easy to wall mount. Why go with Focal’s over one of those choices from Ascend?
    Last edited by N Boros; 02-15-2022 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks...wonder of that -3dB point at 80Hz is accurate.

Lunas are pretty small...and would be a great option.
    -curtis

Pretty phenomenal claim for the size, right? I’m looking for something smaller and more subtle than the Lunas. Small dome white satellites would blend in with my interior so the Gallos and Focal domes are on the radar.

Low frequency extension is not a big priority. I’m running dual subs so I have no issues regarding low frequency extension on satellite/surrounds. I also don’t care about it on main speakers because it makes speaker placement much easier…. Place the high quality mains where I care and then deal with low frequency sub placement separately.

I can tell you right now that the -3dB point for the Focal Dome Flax is not even remotely possible. It is a physical impossibility for any speaker with a 4" woofer in a sealed enclosure of that size to have a -3dB point that low combined with an 88dB sensitivity rating. More likely, this satellite will start rolling off at around 150Hz and lower sensitivity.

Actually, a quick search brought up measurements from S&V. -3dB is 133Hz and sensitivity looks to be ~ 83dB. These specs are realistic for this size speakers...

Based on these measurements, I would not use these speakers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Pretty phenomenal claim for the size, right? I’m looking for something smaller and more subtle than the Lunas. Small dome white satellites would blend in with my interior so the Gallos and Focal domes are on the radar.

Low frequency extension is not a big priority. I’m running dual subs so I have no issues regarding low frequency extension on satellite/surrounds. I also don’t care about it on main speakers because it makes speaker placement much easier…. Place the high quality mains where I care and then deal with low frequency sub placement separately.
    It isn't the overall low frequency extension of the system, it is the high crossover point. This will cause the sound from the subs because of the high crossover point (>120hz) to be localizable....not good if you want the sounds to be coming from the surrounds.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-15-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    -curtis

It isn't the overall low frequency extension of the system, it is the high crossover point. This will cause the sound from the subs because of the high crossover point (>120hz) to be localizable....not good if you want the sounds to be coming from the surrounds.
    I had the chance to buy new Flax Domes at half MSRP but from a functional perspective you are correct. After searching, I may have I found myself an alternative. SVS Prime satellites are available in gloss white and are slightly smaller than the Luna which will have a high WAF.

You're right that I should try to keep the Sierra Towers up front! I had sold them once before and I ended up purchasing another pair the following year out of regret as I missed the airy transparency of the tweeters. Once you've heard them, it is so difficult to listen to something else. Aside from the limited vertical listening window which is an issue if I'm listening to music while walking around the room, it is such an ideal speaker.

I had the chance to buy new Flax Domes at half MSRP but from a functional perspective you are correct. After searching, I may have I found myself an alternative. SVS Prime satellites are available in gloss white and are slightly smaller than the Luna which will have a high WAF.

You're right that I should try to keep the Sierra Towers up front! I had sold them once before and I ended up purchasing another pair the following year out of regret as I missed the airy transparency of the tweeters. Once you've heard them, it is so difficult to listen to something else. Aside from the limited vertical listening window which is an issue if I'm listening to music while walking around the room, it is such an ideal speaker.
    Those are much better choices than the Focal’s. It seems Focal let the marketing department give the specs for the speakers rather than anyone even remotely knowledge about the specs. The prime satellites should have accurate specs, from the manufacturer and would work fine. I think the Lunas look better and would match better overall sound wise, but I realize the price of the SVS speakers is probably a big factor here.