Sierra 2-EX Initial Listening Impressions

I received my Sierra 2-EX a week ago. It was originally going to be used as a surround speaker, but since the towers are still being built, I use this pair as mains for now while waiting for the towers.

Before any serious listening, I followed my usual practice of letting the speakers burn in for a week of continuous music. How much burn-in is actually necessary I couldn’t say; certainly, by the time I started listening, there were no further changes in the sonic characteristics that I could discern.

My initial reaction to the 2EX is fast. The transient response and accuracy is just off the charts. Leading edges of percussive notes, like plucked strings, piano, cymbals and drums are perfectly rendered, and the resolution and detail impart a sense of realism that just takes your breath away. Consistent with this speed, music seems to flow effortlessly, and the level of rhythmic articulation, especially in the upper bass is simply superb. One fun example of trackI played to demonstrate this is the Passenger from the Daphne Su album.

Another attribute that grabs you immediately is the soundstage. It is vast and holographic. Instruments are placed with pinpoint precision in three-dimensional space. This becomes even more impressive in dense passages in large orchestral pieces like Copland 100. Rather than sounding congested and muddy, the 2EX takes these passages in its stride and maintains a coherent soundstage.

Tonality is a little interesting. The upper-mids and highs are just exemplary, with no harshness or edge to speak of. The mids provide what I would characterize as a front-row presentation. The 2EX is not forgiving of subpar recordings or upstream electronics. That said, the only time I heard grunge was when I played it! Which was almost never.

In the bass region, the articulation of the upper bass is superb. However, there is no getting around the fact that the 2EX is light in the lower and sub-bass. Obviously, the degree to which this matters depends on your sensitivity to this frequency region and personal preference. To me, accurate bass response is vital to all music genres, whether it is a cappella, solo piano, or a massive orchestra.

Overall, this is an enjoyable speaker, and I am very much looking forward to hearing the Towers soon.