Thread: Sierra 2-EX Initial Listening Impressions

Default Sierra 2-EX Initial Listening Impressions

Sierra 2-EX Initial Listening Impressions

I received my Sierra 2-EX a week ago. It was originally going to be used as a surround speaker, but since the towers are still being built, I use this pair as mains for now while waiting for the towers.

Before any serious listening, I followed my usual practice of letting the speakers burn in for a week of continuous music. How much burn-in is actually necessary I couldn’t say; certainly, by the time I started listening, there were no further changes in the sonic characteristics that I could discern.

My initial reaction to the 2EX is fast. The transient response and accuracy is just off the charts. Leading edges of percussive notes, like plucked strings, piano, cymbals and drums are perfectly rendered, and the resolution and detail impart a sense of realism that just takes your breath away. Consistent with this speed, music seems to flow effortlessly, and the level of rhythmic articulation, especially in the upper bass is simply superb. One fun example of trackI played to demonstrate this is the Passenger from the Daphne Su album.

Another attribute that grabs you immediately is the soundstage. It is vast and holographic. Instruments are placed with pinpoint precision in three-dimensional space. This becomes even more impressive in dense passages in large orchestral pieces like Copland 100. Rather than sounding congested and muddy, the 2EX takes these passages in its stride and maintains a coherent soundstage.

Tonality is a little interesting. The upper-mids and highs are just exemplary, with no harshness or edge to speak of. The mids provide what I would characterize as a front-row presentation. The 2EX is not forgiving of subpar recordings or upstream electronics. That said, the only time I heard grunge was when I played it! Which was almost never.

In the bass region, the articulation of the upper bass is superb. However, there is no getting around the fact that the 2EX is light in the lower and sub-bass. Obviously, the degree to which this matters depends on your sensitivity to this frequency region and personal preference. To me, accurate bass response is vital to all music genres, whether it is a cappella, solo piano, or a massive orchestra.

Overall, this is an enjoyable speaker, and I am very much looking forward to hearing the Towers soon.

Default Re: Sierra 2-EX Initial Listening Impressions

Nice review, elan120

Red face Re: Sierra 2-EX Initial Listening Impressions

Wonderful review, Kevin! Don't know if you tried blending a sub with the 2EX, but when done well, top to bottom presentation is simply Stunning!

The Towers should take the Sierra-2EX sonic prowess to another level of realism and enjoyment for you!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Nice review, elan120

Thank you, Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Wonderful review, Kevin! Don't know if you tried blending a sub with the 2EX, but when done well, top to bottom presentation is simply Stunning!

The Towers should take the Sierra-2EX sonic prowess to another level of realism and enjoyment for you!!

Ted
    I am running with a sub right now and it is very satisfying. The review was focus on just the 2EX, and you are correct, when augment with a sub, it plays very beautiful music.

The Morrow speaker cable should be delivered later this week, which will be interesting to see how much difference it makes.

Enjoyed your review Kevin! I have not heard the 2EX speakers, but I have the Towers W/RAAL and I think you are going to like them. Mid-range is just beautiful and I think you will find plenty of accurate and full representation in the lower end too. The RAAL tweeter.....Well, that is just magical - especially with respect to the music you are using to test the EX2's (which I did try on my Towers). I can listen to these speakers for hours and never get fatigued. Flying Home (live) by Stanley Jordan and Nature Boy (live) by Rene Marie are a couple of tracks that are quite impressive on these speakers.
    Speakers: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Rythmik L12 sub
    Pre/Amp: HK3490 (120w)
    Source: Schiit Modi 3+, Tidal HD

Quote Originally Posted by jimlucci View Post
    Enjoyed your review Kevin! I have not heard the 2EX speakers, but I have the Towers W/RAAL and I think you are going to like them. Mid-range is just beautiful and I think you will find plenty of accurate and full representation in the lower end too. The RAAL tweeter.....Well, that is just magical - especially with respect to the music you are using to test the EX2's (which I did try on my Towers). I can listen to these speakers for hours and never get fatigued. Flying Home (live) by Stanley Jordan and Nature Boy (live) by Rene Marie are a couple of tracks that are quite impressive on these speakers.
    Thank you, Jim,

I also think I will like the Towers. Meanwhile, I added the two albums you recommend, and they played well on the 2EX w/sub. Once I have the Towers here, I will try them again.

Regards,
    Kevin

Thumbs up Re: Sierra 2-EX Initial Listening Impressions

Kevin,

Happy NEW Year! Have not yet read any comments on the SP4's or the Towers!?! Hopefully all has gone well with your expectations?!?

Inquiring minds (well, my little ole mind) wants to know!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Kevin,

Happy NEW Year! Have not yet read any comments on the SP4's or the Towers!?! Hopefully all has gone well with your expectations?!?

Inquiring minds (well, my little ole mind) wants to know!

Ted
    Ted,

Happy New Year to you too.

Everything is going well thus far. I ended up with SP6 instead and have received the Towers a bit over a week ago. I have been running about 12 hours a day for the past 8 days as break-in. While getting closer to the tail end of the break-in, I am also testing different setups and components to see what will pair well with the Towers, and this will likely be continue a bit longer into next week, but I am very close to where I think I will settle for a while. I am planning to do some serious listening next week once I have the setup somewhat settled, but so far, I like how the Towers are performing - very expansive sound stage, fast transient, well defined placement of instruments, excellent detail retrieval. Clearly, a pair of speakers I can easily live with for long term.

Kevin