Thread: Recommended surround speakers for s1?

Default Recommended surround speakers for Sierra-1s?

I have S1 left and right speakers and an S1 center coming.

Questions -

1) How important are surround speakers to music? I have a few 5.1 music sacds and music blurays. Most use of the speakers is music - maybe 70% - 30%. 99% of music i listen to is stereo cds and mp3s ripped from them. But sometimes the receiver sound settings that take advantage of more speakers sound better to me.

2) How important are surrounds to movies? Do I really want to hear the bullets whizzing past my ear, etc.? Isn't stereo or three speakers up front enough?

3) I have some 170s but was planning to keep them with the living room setup. And maybe smaller surrounds would work better logistically, visually and just as well sonically? (I can see myself bumping into them ir trying to get past them in my close range setup).

Room approximately 12' deep by 16' wide by 8 ft high. 2 Hsu subs.

I'm guessing no one needs surround speakers that are better than the the main speakers.

One day maybe I'll start on the Sierra-2EX speakers. But not from this year's bonus. I am pretty happy with S1s.

I'm sure all these questions have been answered before. I will search. I thought it would help to ask as well.
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 12-25-2021 at 01:13 PM.

Default Re: Recommended surround speakers for Sierra-1s?

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    I have S1 left and right speakers and an S1 center coming.

Questions -

1) How important are surround speakers to music? I have a few 5.1 music sacds and music blurays. Most use of the speakers is music - maybe 70% - 30%. 99% of music i listen to is stereo cds and mp3s ripped from them. But sometimes the receiver sound settings that take advantage of more speakers sound better to me.

2) How important are surrounds to movies? Do I really want to hear the bullets whizzing past my ear, etc.? Isn't stereo or three speakers up front enough?

3) I have some 170s but was planning to keep them with the living room setup. And maybe smaller surrounds would work better logistically, visually and just as well sonically? (I can see myself bumping into them ir trying to get past them in my close range setup).

Room approximately 12' deep by 16' wide by 8 ft high. 2 Hsu subs.

I'm guessing no one needs surround speakers that are better than the the main speakers.

One day maybe I'll start on the Sierra-2EX speakers. But not from this year's bonus. I am pretty happy with S1s.

I'm sure all these questions have been answered before. I will search. I thought it would help to ask as well.
    If you have a pair of 170s then hook them up and listen for yourself. I think surround speakers are worth it for movies and tv. It has also sounded great in the handful of concert blu rays that I own. I have the HTM 200s for surrounds because I knew that they were going to be wall mounted. They match well with the CMT 340s up front in one room and the Sierra 2s in a different room. I’m sure the 170s you have will sound great with the Sierra 1s.

Unless your prioritizing surrounds to optimize musical preference...you have lots of viable options imo. I personally went from the 200s to IW and since added Atmos...just make sure the surrounds you decide on measure similar in frequency response but in surround use...again it's hardly negligible.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Default Re: Recommended surround speakers for s1?

Thanks

Hello there, how do you have the HTM 200's wall mounted? They do not have a keyhole in the back correct? Reason I ask is that I also have the CMT 340's as a LCR and been looking for surrounds. Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
    Hello there, how do you have the HTM 200's wall mounted? They do not have a keyhole in the back correct? Reason I ask is that I also have the CMT 340's as a LCR and been looking for surrounds. Thanks in advance...
    Two holes in the back

mounted with mounts found in threads on ascend site

Mount-It! MI-sb03 - had to drill holes to make it fit - was a little off I think

I am not sure if that answers your question
    "Senior Member" AKA - long time loiterer, far from knowledgeable

I agree - surrounds (at least 2 on the sides) are worth it for movies. I’ve never used rears as not a good spot to put them in the room. I did add front & rear heights for ATMOS, and think that was a worthy upgrade

I use HTM200’s for the heights and S2 for surrounds (as these were my mains before upgrading to Towers. Was using HTM200s before)

I use adjustable mounts that I found on Amaxon for surrounds/heights. They clamp on the speaker. With the HTM’s, I previously used some picture wire (held to the speaker with the screws already on them. I don’t recall if they had washers or I added). Then hung the speaker on a picture hanger like Ooks that you can get at Home Depot. Used 2 per speaker as it’s easier to level/keep level than a single hanger. Worked great. Only reason I moved to the clamp mounts as they allowed me to angled the speakers better

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    Two holes in the back

mounted with mounts found in threads on ascend site

Mount-It! MI-sb03 - had to drill holes to make it fit - was a little off I think

I am not sure if that answers your question
    Thank you! I thought there was no holes in the back so obviously I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I agree - surrounds (at least 2 on the sides) are worth it for movies. I’ve never used rears as not a good spot to put them in the room. I did add front & rear heights for ATMOS, and think that was a worthy upgrade

I use HTM200’s for the heights and S2 for surrounds (as these were my mains before upgrading to Towers. Was using HTM200s before)

I use adjustable mounts that I found on Amaxon for surrounds/heights. They clamp on the speaker. With the HTM’s, I previously used some picture wire (held to the speaker with the screws already on them. I don’t recall if they had washers or I added). Then hung the speaker on a picture hanger like Ooks that you can get at Home Depot. Used 2 per speaker as it’s easier to level/keep level than a single hanger. Worked great. Only reason I moved to the clamp mounts as they allowed me to angled the speakers better
    Thank you for the detailed answer! So can it be hung via the picture wire Horizontally and Vertically? Or just Vertically? Thank you again. I am thinking on getting two pairs. Side and Rear. The rear surrounds will go Vertically on clamp mounts so I am not worried about those but the side surrounds I would like to hang Horizontally with the tweeter on the up position. So that is my concern on how to hang them horizontally on the wall...

Just vertically using the existing inserts.

You’d probably need to use a woodscrew on the opposite end to hang horizontally if using the existing inserts.

Another option would be two woodscrews into the back as appropriate to how you want to hang.

Lastly, you may be able to use the screws holding the crossover/binding post cups - if the heads are small, and screws long enough, I’d probably remove two completely and add a washer on each to ensure a big enough surface to secure the wire. I’f look at mine but currently in Brazil (closing on 12 acres of land about an hour from downtown Rio de Janeiro towards Buzios)

I think the clamps I’m using will open wide enough to hold horizontally. I’m considering trying this at sometime
    Last edited by racrawford65; 07-19-2022 at 05:26 PM.