Thread: Sierra-2EX Mounted High - Vertical Listening Window?

Default Sierra-2EX Mounted High - Vertical Listening Window?

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my meager living room setup to a RAAL system. I have the Sierra RAAL towers in my basement which are amazing for high level clarity and detail. A pair of 2EXs with perhaps a Luna Duo center is a tempting thought for the living room.

However, the 2EXs would need to be mounted high, and I'm afraid that I might be a bit too far outside the ideal listening window due to their more limited vertical dispersion.

The tweeter height for the bookshelves would be 75". MLP would be roughly 11' from the speakers. Would I be crippling the RAALs in this situation? I could tilt the speakers down towards the MLP, but not by very much, perhaps 10 degrees at most.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Sierra-2EX Mounted High - Vertical Listening Window?

That's certainly not ideal but they will still sound good. With the angle and flipping the speaker upside down, you could get it a little better.
    Nate

I'm sure they would sound good, but I'm thinking I'd probably lose some of their magic by sitting outside of the sweet spot, in which case they may not be worth the investment. Turning them upside down would help and is what I'd intend to do, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj30250 View Post
    Hi,

I am considering upgrading my meager living room setup to a RAAL system. I have the Sierra RAAL towers in my basement which are amazing for high level clarity and detail. A pair of 2EXs with perhaps a Luna Duo center is a tempting thought for the living room.

However, the 2EXs would need to be mounted high, and I'm afraid that I might be a bit too far outside the ideal listening window due to their more limited vertical dispersion.

The tweeter height for the bookshelves would be 75". MLP would be roughly 11' from the speakers. Would I be crippling the RAALs in this situation? I could tilt the speakers down towards the MLP, but not by very much, perhaps 10 degrees at most.

Thanks in advance.
    With a tweeter height of 75" and at 11 feet back and assuming a typical ear height of 38", this is a vertical listening angle of 15 degrees. If you flip the speaker upside down (recommended) and angle downward by 5 degrees, you are then well within the vertical sweet spot, and you are golden
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com