Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

Default Re: Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I did a quick level match yesterday afternoon and watched one movie (James Bond Spectre) as patience isn't one of my virtues . Still need to watch a few more movies, but my first impression is very positive. In my room/system, front sound stage was even more coherent, soundtrack more impactful, and dialog very clear with the new Horizon.
    Exactly...my take from the standard horizon to RAAL...more coherent and dialogue was prestine. You're getting that added level of impact and better mid bass with this unit
    Last edited by billy p; 01-11-2022 at 04:56 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Any further evaluation on the horizon since your initial impression?
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Sorry for delay in responding, billy p. Still out of the country. Did watch one more movie before leaving (Time to Die, latest Bond flick). Did confirm my initial impressions

Which one performs the best off-axis between the sierra 1 or 2 center and the Duo?

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Which one performs the best off-axis between the sierra 1 or 2 center and the Duo?
    Many variables to this question. Are you able to provide more detail regarding your setup?

How far back will you be sitting from the center?

How far off-axis from the center (to the left or right) would you be sitting?

Will you be using a subwoofer?

Will the speakers be positioned horizontally or vertically?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Many variables to this question. Are you able to provide more detail regarding your setup?

How far back will you be sitting from the center?

How far off-axis from the center (to the left or right) would you be sitting?

Will you be using a subwoofer?

Will the speakers be positioned horizontally or vertically?
    I don't have anything yet in terms of speakers. I've upgraded everything else. Speakers is the only thing left and the center is the hardest one. We're moving next year to get out of this leftest state and have no idea what the configurations of the room will be. Just trying to get as much information as I could so I make the right decisions. Loudness isn't too important to me so I'll trade linearity for SPL.

Just wanted the original poster to clarify… when he tried vertical vs horizontal placement of his duo as center, that he rotated the tweeter.

I had a question for Dave, and I don't recall seeing the data elsewhere. Sounds like a nasty injury. I hope you're feeling better. Every breath must hurt so badly.

I see the Duo LCR horizontal and vertical off axis graphs on the Ascend website. I assume the measurements were made with the speaker in vertical orientation. Is there a off-axis graph/listening window for the Duo used in horizontal orientation (center channel orientation)? Would the nulls/voids from the two woofers even be representably measured on such a graph?
    Last edited by bkdc; 02-13-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    I don't have anything yet in terms of speakers. I've upgraded everything else. Speakers is the only thing left and the center is the hardest one. We're moving next year to get out of this leftest state and have no idea what the configurations of the room will be. Just trying to get as much information as I could so I make the right decisions. Loudness isn't too important to me so I'll trade linearity for SPL.
    In this case, since you are not familiar with the room or placement, it would likely be best to revisit this once you have some info about the room and placement. I would say, in all situations, the Duo and Sierra-2 will perform better off-axis as a center compared to the Sierra-1, due to the very wide dispersion of the RAAL ribbon. With a horizontal listening window of +/- 20 degrees, the Duo center would be the better choice. If you need wider than that window, the Sierra-2/2EX would likely be the better choice.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Just wanted the original poster to clarify… when he tried vertical vs horizontal placement of his duo as center, that he rotated the tweeter.

I had a question for Dave, and I don't recall seeing the data elsewhere. Sounds like a nasty injury. I hope you're feeling better. Every breath must hurt so badly.

I see the Duo LCR horizontal and vertical off axis graphs on the Ascend website. I assume the measurements were made with the speaker in vertical orientation. Is there a off-axis graph/listening window for the Duo used in horizontal orientation (center channel orientation)? Would the nulls/voids from the two woofers even be representably measured on such a graph?
    Thanks for the kind words, I am back to basically 100%. Lungs are fine, occasionally some residual rib pain in the area of the breaks - for which I will likely have to live with, but that is not an issue for me.

I did post the CEA-2034 measurements of the Duo V2 in a horizontal position. That thread is a mess so I will link to it directly:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...3&d=1630470948

You can see the null caused by having dual woofers in the same off-axis plane in the sound power and listening window measurements.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com