Thread: Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

Default Re: Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

I agree with Ted - nice setup Greg

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Greg,

Wonderful set-up...must sound Great!!!

Ted
    Thank you very much, Ted! Your system looks really nice, as well, and bet it sounds great!
    I am quite pleased with the sound. I love my Sierra Towers! Everything works in harmony with no surprises. The Jolida has a Bypass switch that connects RCA cables to my Sony AVR's Surround Pre-Out. The Jolida only powers the towers. The Sony powers the center and rear channels, & subwoofer. So; when we are watching a Blu-ray, DVD audio/video or something in 5.1 on TV, I switch on the Jolida's Bypass, and the Sony AVR takes over with volume control over the entire system. The easy thng to do to simplify everything would be to just sell the Jolida, and run everything through my AVR. Ha!! But; that's not going to happen. I love my tube amp! The only real downside is my subwoofer is not part of my record or CD listening. The sub is connected solely to the AVR via a sub cable. So; in the 13 months of ownership, I have never heard the towers with a subwoofer!! With that said; I am pretty much constantly thrilled with the bass the towers do offer! Never overwhelming, but, ever present. Whether it be a vinyl record or compact disc, those speakers deliver! And, my musical tastes range from The Carpenters to Rush to ELP to Porcupine Tree + Steven Wilson to Weather Report and Beyond!
    Unlike a lot of us, my stereo rig is right there in the family room with my Video side! Lol! Not a real problem, though. Our evening hours are usually in front of the TV. My music listening is done mostly during the daytime. But; not always.
    Our bonus room is our dedicated pool room. I have several friends that have their stereo setup in their bonus room - which I think is really cool!
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-19-2021 at 06:51 AM.
    - Greg

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbon (front) | Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE (rears) | Ascend Acoustics Duo (center) | Mirage Omni S10 10" Sub ||| Jolida JD302CRC 50wpc Integrated Tube Amp | Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable w/ Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e Tonearm, AudioQuest Wildcat Tonearm cable, Ortofon 2M Bronze MM Cart., Hagerman Labs Cornet3 Tube Phono Stage ||| Sony XBR65X81 CH 65" | Sony SA3100ES AVR | Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray | Oppo DV-980H CD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I agree with Ted - nice setup Greg
    Thanks Robert!
    A couple of things that I would like to do in the future, after my 200's arrive and I make a decision on a new center channel... is upgrade my Sony ES AVR. When I purchased it in 2006 or 2007, it was one of the best! Lol! Now; after some shopping, I realized how so much has evolved over the years with all the HDMI connections, streaming, and other things!
    It became quiet apparent when shopping for a new TV, and discovered no RCA Audio Out!! Yikes!! And, of course; my Sony AVR doesn't have a single HDMI! And, I was fool enough to believe connecting the optical cable would be so easy!
    Somehow, I did finally get my settings on the Sony right to achieve audio. This took a couple of days off and on attempts, and too much frustration! I was so close to throwing in the towel, and began looking at the latest AVR's. It didn't take long to discover that I would need to spend close to $1,000 or more to buy one that offered the same horsepower & specifications that my ES has. It's a damn good thing that I got mine working!!! Ha!! A new AVR was not in the forecast.
    Thing is; using an Optical cable with the Sony, the TV remote and the Firestick remote do not function. I have to use my ES remote. A new AVR is in the future. For now, however, I will make do.

Pictured is the current setting on the ES that is delivering glorious 5.1! Yay!!!

- Greg

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbon (front) | Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE (rears) | Ascend Acoustics Duo (center) | Mirage Omni S10 10" Sub ||| Jolida JD302CRC 50wpc Integrated Tube Amp | Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable w/ Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e Tonearm, AudioQuest Wildcat Tonearm cable, Ortofon 2M Bronze MM Cart., Hagerman Labs Cornet3 Tube Phono Stage ||| Sony XBR65X81 CH 65" | Sony SA3100ES AVR | Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray | Oppo DV-980H CD

Hey Greg,

You may want to check usaudiomart for AVRs.. you may be able to find a good deal on an Anthem MRXx20 - older model now that the new ones are out.

As to hooking up the subwoofer to your Jolida, a couple of suggestions as not 100% sure how you have things wired:
    a) use the fixed output on the Jolida to the sub amp in
    b) use a y-cable from the Jolida - run one y to the Sony, the other to the sub
    c) maybe look into a miniDSP and see about integrating it into your system (I use the 10x10 model, run the 2nd fixed output L&R from my RP5 to 2 of the miniDSP inputs and run the subout from my MRX720 into another input. I run 5 outs from the miniDSP -- 1 to each of my 2 E15 line ins for use with music, 1 to each of my 2 E15 LFE Ins + 1 to an old Outlaw sub for movies).
    d) maybe look into a dspeaker anti-mode to see if that would work to integrate the sub into both systems. I have the 8033S-II that I've used in the past to room correct my subs. Really nice system and automatically EQ's the sub(s). No need to use REW like with the miniDSP option.

Hey Greg,

You may want to check usaudiomart for AVRs.. you may be able to find a good deal on an Anthem MRXx20 - older model now that the new ones are out.

As to hooking up the subwoofer to your Jolida, a couple of suggestions as not 100% sure how you have things wired:
    a) use the fixed output on the Jolida to the sub amp in
    b) use a y-cable from the Jolida - run one y to the Sony, the other to the sub
    c) maybe look into a miniDSP and see about integrating it into your system (I use the 10x10 model, run the 2nd fixed output L&R from my RP5 to 2 of the miniDSP inputs and run the subout from my MRX720 into another input. I run 5 outs from the miniDSP -- 1 to each of my 2 E15 line ins for use with music, 1 to each of my 2 E15 LFE Ins + 1 to an old Outlaw sub for movies).
    d) maybe look into a dspeaker anti-mode to see if that would work to integrate the sub into both systems. I have the 8033S-II that I've used in the past to room correct my subs. Really nice system and automatically EQ's the sub(s). No need to use REW like with the miniDSP option.
    Wow!! Thank you, Robert! I saw this post around 4 this morning, and the wheels starting turning! Went back to bed after looking at the back of the Jolida. Sure enough! There's a Fixed Output! Never paid much attention to 'that' before! I should have known my night of sleep was over. Lol! Got up about 20 mintues later, and began checking my cable supply for a 'Y' cable. Low and behold, I had one!
    Quietly,,,, I detached the subwoofer cable from the back of the sub, leaving the end still connected to the Sony AVR. 'Connected up the 'Y' cable, & patiently waited about an hour and a half for my wife to get up! Ha! Almost like being a kid on Christmas morning waiting for Mom & Dad to get up!!

I fired up the Jolida, and decided to begin with a CD; Brian Wilson's "Imagination". Immediate first impression; turn the subwoofer level down! Also; dialed the frequency up to about 45. Seems like good settings right now. I am very impressed! That Mirage S-10 has good punch! But; now running with the Sierra Towers is just too cool! A whole other dimension, and it was all here all along! Lol! Man!!

Sometmes, we all just need a liitle help from our friends to get pointed in the right direction!
    After Brian Wilson, I switched to the PolyTable to play "Go" by Go from 1976. A great record featuring Stomu Yamashta, Steve Winwood, Al Di Meola, Michael Shrieve, & Klaus Schulze among others!

http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(band)

'Also had a look at what was available @ USA Audio Mart. I'll be keeping a look out over there in the future.

Thanks for all your help, Robert! It is greatly appreciated!

....... It doesn't look like I'm finished yet. I thought being connected from the Jolida to the sub, while running HT Bypass, in 5.1 (with the Sony AVR on), the subwoofer would be actvated. Nope. I'll need to investigate further later. Trying your option B.
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-20-2021 at 09:04 AM.
    - Greg

Greg,
    Sorry about disrupting your beauty sleep

I found the owner's manuals on-line. Try the variable output on the Jolida instead of the fixed as a first step. See if you get bass when using the Sony now. Sorry about that - my Rogue uses the fixed.

The other option may be to put the y in the sub input and run a cable from the Jolida to one side of the Y and one from the Sony to the other.

Best
    Robert

Greg,
    Sorry about disrupting your beauty sleep

I found the owner's manuals on-line. Try the variable output on the Jolida instead of the fixed as a first step. See if you get bass when using the Sony now. Sorry about that - my Rogue uses the fixed.

The other option may be to put the y in the sub input and run a cable from the Jolida to one side of the Y and one from the Sony to the other.

Best
    Robert
    Lol! Not at all, Robert! I was up for a drink, anyway. My phone and tablet are not in the bedroom.
    I tried the 'Variable' out. No luck. For now, at least through the holiday's, I will just attach and detach the cable from the subwoofer between the Jolida & the Sony! So simple!! I grow weary of all of this... Lol!
    It's nice now, to just sit back and enjoy!!

Oh! I looked at the Anthem AVR's! Very nice!!! I may set my sights on that 100wpc 5.1 model!
    Thanks for mentioning the brand!!
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-23-2021 at 05:45 AM.
    - Greg

You're welcome, Greg.
    Have a great Christmas!

My Horizon in Black Matte arrived today. I did make a slight error when ordering as my Towers are satin black bamboo but luckily can't see much of the Horizon cabinet & the black matte matches my Rythmik E15s, so not a big deal (unless my OCD kicks in).

Beautiful speaker. Even knowing the measurements and weight, bigger and heavier than expected. The DUO is tiny in comparison (I've already boxed it up otherwise I would take some pictures comparing the two -- although I think someone has posted similar before).

Need to level match (and maybe run Anthem ARC) then watch some movies. Hopefully in the next day or two (luckily still working from home).

I did a quick level match yesterday afternoon and watched one movie (James Bond Spectre) as patience isn't one of my virtues . Still need to watch a few more movies, but my first impression is very positive. In my room/system, front sound stage was even more coherent, soundtrack more impactful, and dialog very clear with the new Horizon.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD