Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

Default Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

Hello,

I currently have a 3.1 setup with 3 S2s. My question to the community is if the DUO LCR RIBBON MINI-MONITOR is better at being a center then my S2 center. I like the form factor more but is a better center? I know there's a few threads on this but I find people keep changing the topic to other speakers I'm not in the market for, I just want to compare the S2 and DUO ribbon. Thank you all.
    Last edited by ilovesound; 12-05-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Default Re: Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesound View Post
    Hello,

I currently have a 3.1 setup with 3 S2s. My question to the community is if the DUO LCR RIBBON MINI-MONITOR is better at being a center then my S2 center. I like the form factor more but is a better center? I know there's a few threads on this but I find people keep changing the topic to other speakers I'm not in the market for, I just want to compare the S2 and DUO ribbon. Thank you all.
    From a post from Dave:

“This depends. The Duo center only becomes the better center channel option compared to the Sierra-2/2EX if using a subwoofer and if the Sierra-2/2EX can only be positioned horizontally. If no sub, or if the S2 center can be placed vertically - it is not the better center.”

This applies to the current Duo. Not sure about the Duo V2.
    Last edited by ahender; 12-06-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks for the info. I do have a sub, it's a HSU and my center S2 is the horizontal center version.

I currently have a 3.1 setup with 3 S2s. My question to the community is if the DUO LCR RIBBON MINI-MONITOR is better at being a center then my S2 center. I like the form factor more but is a better center?
    I have an S-2 center, disconnected and boxed up, because I replaced it with a Duo when the Duo first came out (don't have physical room for the Horizon). To me the Duo is a good step up from the S-2 (horizontal, with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees). I'm using a pair of Rythmik subs, so bass handling isn't an issue with the rest of the setup.

What the Duo does better than the S-2 is make the dialog somehow crisper and cleaner. It brings dialog forward just a bit without making it louder. The end result is dialog that is more intelligible. And it's not just me -- wife hears it just the same. In fact it was her insistence that the S-2 center wasn't cutting it that got me to buy the Duo in the first place. And now she's a happy camper. What more needs be said?
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

I agree with Bruce. I made the same change - from horizontal S2 to the Luna Duo. I found the same - better/clearer dialog. I am also using a pair of Rythmik E15s.

That said, I am upgrading to the Horizon with RAAL to match my Towers and because all the reviews are very positive on the Horizon. Originally, I didn't have room for the Horizon so that is why I went with the duo. But, figured I could either place the TV on top of the Horizon or build a new TV riser - I built the riser. So, just waiting on the Horizon to ship. Not sure whether to keep the Duo or sell it.

Thanks for this. This is the kind of feed back I was hoping to hear, simple worth it or not between these two choices. I think I may have to start trying to save for this speaker. You wouldn't know if there's a trade-in program would you? My S2 center is in mint condition, would be nice if I could trade it in and get a couple hundred off.

Thanks for this. This is the kind of feed back I was hoping to hear, simple worth it or not between these two choices. I think I may have to start trying to save for this speaker. You wouldn't know if there's a trade-in program would you? My S2 center is in mint condition, would be nice if I could trade it in and get a couple hundred off.
    No official trade-in program that I am aware of. Wouldn't hurt to call Ascend and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    ...I am upgrading to the Horizon with RAAL to match my Towers and because all the reviews are very positive on the Horizon.
    Keep us posted. I'm thinking I'll have to upgrade my L/R pair to RAAL towers in the not so distant future, so I'll be very interested in how you hear the upgrade from Duo to Horizon. I'll bet I'm not the only one interested in what you find out.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Will do, Bruce. Hoping they get the cabinets in soon.

I've often watched for Ascend speakers selling online (Ebay, Audiogon, Audiomart) doesn't happen often but they usually sell very quickly and the Sierra line holds it's value quite well.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 12-07-2021 at 02:36 PM.