Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HTM-200 SE's ordered + possible rear mounting option, replacing Mirage OmniSat's

Default Re: HTM-200 SE's ordered + possible rear mounting option, replacing Mirage OmniSat's

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Hello came here to ask this exact question about how to mount the 200 SE to the wall or ceiling.
    But I think wall-mounted would be safer.

Would use them for ATMOS/Heigh.

Outlaw Cajon, Im not sure how those metal mounts are only rated for 10lbs

Did you see the monoprice low profile mounts rated for 22lb https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11410

I only dont like they are made of plastic, but I think with 30-40lb drywall anchors should be solid.

Do you have your mounted on the studs?

Sorry if I missed how high are your mounts from the floor and what size is your room?

mine is 13' x 13' x 9' ceiling
    Flyer;
    My ceiling is also 9'. The mounts are about 3.5" up from my head while seated. The mounts are mounted in the drywall - both of them. They have been up since 2008 when bought my Mirage OmniSat's. I had forgotten that. So; just happens that the OmniMount's have a middle hole between the top and bottom. I will install a 200+ lb. anchor in each of those!
    The OmniSat's each way about 6lbs. I'm also very pleased that I'm able to angle the 200's down. The rotating ball mount is a great design. If the Monoprice mounts you're looking at have that feature - excellent!

Below is the link to the Jumbo mounts that I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/Jumbl-SINSB7B...22N64PXHMHT8SY

***** racrawford65's suggested mounts look great! If I didn't already have existing mounts in place, I would probably buy those! *****
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-27-2021 at 05:36 AM.
    - Greg

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbon (front) | Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE (rears) | Ascend Acoustics Duo (center) | Mirage Omni S10 10" Sub ||| Jolida JD302CRC 50wpc Integrated Tube Amp | Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable w/ Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e Tonearm, AudioQuest Wildcat Tonearm cable, Ortofon 2M Bronze MM Cart., Hagerman Labs Cornet3 Tube Phono Stage ||| Sony XBR65X81 CH 65" | Sony SA3100ES AVR | Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray | Oppo DV-980H CD

Default Re: HTM-200 SE's ordered + possible rear mounting option, replacing Mirage OmniSat's

Greg,
    Do you think those mounts you ordered will hold the HTM's? They are only rated to up to 10 lbs, which is same weight as the HTMs. May sag down, but may not be an issue if you are resting the bottoms against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Greg,
    Do you think those mounts you ordered will hold the HTM's? They are only rated to up to 10 lbs, which is same weight as the HTMs. May sag down, but may not be an issue if you are resting the bottoms against the wall.
    Morning Robert! With the OmniSat's, I do have them hanging straight out from the wall which is definitely a hanging weight! Lol. If those posts don't break loose from the mounted ball, we should be fine! Lol! Knowing the 200's weigh an additional 5lbs. more than the OmniSat's, it was great to realize there is that additional mounting hole on the brackets. They are really solid now. But; like I mentioned before, I will drill for another heavy duty anchor in between the two.
    While I was considering angling the 200's a bit down and inward, I think, I'll be better off resting the bottoms against the wall firing straight out. I'll put a couple of those tiny clear adhesive bumpers on the bottom edges. My wife will be thrilled when I get those mounted, hiding the terminal plates! Yay!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-2-P...cluded/3183813
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-24-2021 at 06:39 AM.
    - Greg

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbon (front) | Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE (rears) | Ascend Acoustics Duo (center) | Mirage Omni S10 10" Sub ||| Jolida JD302CRC 50wpc Integrated Tube Amp | Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable w/ Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e Tonearm, AudioQuest Wildcat Tonearm cable, Ortofon 2M Bronze MM Cart., Hagerman Labs Cornet3 Tube Phono Stage ||| Sony XBR65X81 CH 65" | Sony SA3100ES AVR | Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray | Oppo DV-980H CD

racrawford65
    On paper those option sound complicated but I see they are not.

I dint even think of using a mount like that that open and hold the speaker.
    That seem to be the better choice.
    As Dave suggested I mount them Horizontally.
    Using two of the monoprice mount would be imposible to toe the speaker in if I use two of them per speaker I would only be able to angle them down.

With that clamp mount I could toe them in and down, but not sure if 10* tilt would be enough.

I guess I could do like Outlaw and get some oversized anchor if the studs are not in a good area.

Outlaw Cajon
    So you have your speaker about 7” I was thinking of installing mine as high as I could so around 8”.

I think I would get the side clamping mount but not sure if 10* tilt would be enough.

I think I would need at least a 15-20* not sure if there one with that much time to look for one.

Found this ones claiming 15* tilt
    But the platform don’t seem wide enough to hold the 200 horizontally.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z827G...37A578RK2MHVNH

Not gonna lie this mount having the speaker out I think it would put some stress on the drywall.
    Hopefully those 150-200lbs anchor won’t have any issues.

Flyer -
    I used anchor toggles, as well, when I mounted my HTM's high. I also used the same brackets for my S2's as surrounds.
    As to tilt, if 10 degrees isn't enough, maybe mount (clamp) the speakers at an angle - so instead of parallel to the floor, angle as desired. I'm actually thinking of doing that with my heights at some point, changing from vertical to horizontal and a bit more tilt down.

Greg - I was thinking the ball clamp may be the limiting factor with the 10 lbs, particularly if you can't get it "clamped" down sufficiently.

And I'm having a Spinal Tap moment -- where Nigel sketched out the Stonehenge stage prop --- " is for inches, ' is for feet. You both have some pretty low ceilings

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Flyer -
    I used anchor toggles, as well, when I mounted my HTM's high. I also used the same brackets for my S2's as surrounds.
    As to tilt, if 10 degrees isn't enough, maybe mount (clamp) the speakers at an angle - so instead of parallel to the floor, angle as desired. I'm actually thinking of doing that with my heights at some point, changing from vertical to horizontal and a bit more tilt down.

Greg - I was thinking the ball clamp may be the limiting factor with the 10 lbs, particularly if you can't get it "clamped" down sufficiently.

And I'm having a Spinal Tap moment -- where Nigel sketched out the Stonehenge stage prop --- " is for inches, ' is for feet. You both have some pretty low ceilings
    Robert, Flyer;
    Good morning, & Merry Christmas!
    As you probably know by now; one main goal with installing the incoming 200's, is to use those existing OmniMounts that I originally put up back in 2008 when I purchased a full set of the Mirage OmniSat's, fronts, center, & rears. When the house was built, they ran the wire for my back walls. With the wires exposed, I put the terminal plate in place when I mounted the OmniMounts (above the plates). So; the OmniSat's are firing straight down. The clamp cinched down on that hard rubber ball keeps the OmniSat where you want it. The clamp has a very stout hex bolt to wrench on, too. As I previously mentioned, in order to install the 200's angled down I needed to flip the OmniMounts upside down to allow access to the hex bolt from the top. On a side note; lots of folks will mount at the bottom of the speakers with the bulk of the speaker above the amount, which allows for more angle down. For me; that was never an option for the 200's. Number one:: covering those terminal plates! Lol! My wife has never liked them, even when I painted them to match the wall paint. So; you see the angle I'm allowed from my cardboard template! That's as good as it gets, guys!
    Angled down to the wall, stress should be taken off the OmniMount's hopefully enough... and the forsaken wire terminal plates will be hidden!
    Again; I'm keeping the original Omnimount's brackets in place, and using the recently purchased, Jumbl 1/4" ball/shafts that are the same diameter ball as the OmniMount's. The OmniMount's shafts are the next size up.

Lol! But; when I receive the 200's, I may throw my arms in the air, and decide the current mounts aren't enough!
    I think, the current setup will be just fine.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-25-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    - Greg

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

racrawford65
    I completely overlooked that you actually had mounts like those and holding the S2.
    How big is your room and how high do you have them?

That suggestion of adding something under the back to get more angle sound good.
    Funny went back and found this review:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B000X9O8SI

That seems pretty interesting and 30* should be enough I think.

So my search for a good speaker mount is over, I would get those and do the same mod.

Did you have to add some type of padding/rubber under the speaker where it touches the platform?
    Or just glue the Grippy non-slip material to all the metal surfaces that would touch the speaker?

Outlaw
    yea you have a bit of a challenge as it needs to be Wife approved.
    But looking at your photo it should come out good vertically covering the plate.
    Have you measured with the phone what kind of tilt you have there?

Funny on your last part throwing the hand on the air, I kind of feel the same, but those side clamp mounts seem pretty sturdy on paper, let see.

Hi Flyer

My listening room is 16x12, but opens to the den on the left (about 22x20) and a foyer, then dining room behind (dining is 16x12). Ceiling in the listening room is trayed, around 12' at the max.

As to height, the S2's (using as surround) are ~4.5 feet (tweeter) from the floor. The HTMs (heights) are about 8.5 feet (bottom of speaker, mounted vertically) from the floor.

As to padding, as I recall, there may have been some thin rubber pads that came with the mounts that I added to the sides (upright) bit of the mounts so it wouldn't mar the speaker when clamped down. I may have also put a bit of Blue-Tak on the bottom but honestly don't remember. As the clamps hold really well, Blue-Tak isn't necessary, IMO.

I like that washer trick. I may have to try that to get a bit more angle down on the heights.

Best regards,
    Robert

Morning Flyer, Robert, and anyone else following our rear speaker mounting shenanigans!!! Lol!

Up early,,,, measuring! Ha!

My Great Room, Living Room, Family Room, or whatever its called in your neck of the woods is 21' wide x 17' deep. This room isn't square, however. If your sitting on the main couch, to you right, the foyer that leads to the front door is about 11' x 9'. Ceiling is 9' throughout.

The distance from the ceiling down to the center of the rear OmniMount bracket is 17". Flyer; you got me thinking too much!! Lol! Just what my OCD needs. I downloaded a frickin' Protractor! It looks like when the 200's are mounted with their bottom edge resting gently on the wall, it will be 30 degrees or maybe, a little more.

The attached photo shows the couch in reference to the back wall & speakers above. The couch does get moved back an inch or so sometimes.

I've also decided to go ahead and replace the current 4 wall anchors with 4 of these. That should do it!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...specifications
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-27-2021 at 06:20 AM.
    - Greg

Morning Greg
    Not sure what the official name is here in Texas. I call it the den (sometimes family room). Lol

Got to thinking about your wife and the wall plates. She really shouldn’t complain - you could have run the wire across the ceiling, stapled to it, like I’ve seen others do. It’s all about perspective .😁