Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

Default Re: L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

Quote Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post
    For the sub, it will def be between Rythmik and PSA.
    The PSA subs are not all all known for being articulate. Rythmik’s are an excellent match, which is why you can also purchase them through Ascend. If price is an issue Monolith subs for some strange reason don’t seem to have been affected by price increases yet, which has affected just about every other manufacturer. They have excellent group delay measurements as well. This might be overblown but I’ve heard of several at AVS having amp failure, maybe not more frequent than any other manufacturer, but Monoprice wants you to ship back the entire subwoofer, which doesn’t sound all that easy. If you read on the Rythmik AVS thread you will see their excellent customer service if an amp needs to be replaced where they quickly just send a new amp, sometimes even outside of the warranty period.

I was never happy with my Outlaw subwoofer, since I had to set it’s crossover far too low, since the bass in the 50 to 80 Hz region isn't nearly as tight as the Sierra 2s. Setting the crossover that low for movies is not a great idea with the Sierra 2s. After upgrading to a pair of Rythmik’s I can set the crossover at 80 Hz now and the subwoofers are as articulate as the Sierra 2s in the 50 to 80 Hz range. I think you would have the same problem with the PSA subs as I had with the Outlaw subwoofer.
    Last edited by N Boros; 12-18-2021 at 06:22 AM.

I would agree in part with the above post regarding the PSA and drivers used in the past...having owned one of their dual opposed designs...I do think with them switching over to the new iPal they should be significantly better in the mid bass region based on measurements at DB....but if your looking for presice and articulate bass Yea...go with the rythmik for reasons outlined above or get the best of both worlds mid bass and lower LFE...but spend a lot more and buy a funk audio 18.0...just on my own experiences and people's testimonials...the Rythmik is about as close to a funk as any sub out there...to bad their 18s where in the prototype phase when I moved away from my PSA....else I'd likely be an owner a f18...now..
    But I have zero buyers remorse...in my final decision.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I would agree in part with the above post regarding the PSA and drivers used in the past...having owned one of their dual opposed designs...I do think with them switching over to the new iPal they should be significantly better in the mid bass region based on measurements at DB....but if your looking for presice and articulate bass Yea...go with the rythmik for reasons outlined above or get the best of both worlds mid bass and lower LFE...but spend a lot more and buy a funk audio 18.0...just on my own experiences and people's testimonials...the Rythmik is about as close to a funk as any sub out there...to bad their 18s where in the prototype phase when I moved away from my PSA....else I'd likely be an owner a f18...now..
    But I have zero buyers remorse...in my final decision.
    I’m not sure what it is about the PSA subs where they are not as precise and articulate as others, especially the sealed designs. The only thing we can look at on data-bass, as far as transient response, is the group delay which looks great. Perhaps an impulse response or cumulative spectral decay plot would tell us more. But, I’ve heard several reviewers mention this in addition to many on AVS all talking about this with the PSA subs, which is why I steered clear of them.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    IÂ’m not sure what it is about the PSA subs where they are not as precise and articulate as others, especially the sealed designs. The only thing we can look at on data-bass, as far as transient response, is the group delay which looks great. Perhaps an impulse response or cumulative spectral decay plot would tell us more. But, IÂ’ve heard several reviewers mention this in addition to many on AVS all talking about this with the PSA subs, which is why I steered clear of them.
    Well I had both variations of the xs30e dual opposed...the original was a big let down for me...because I was coming from a diy acoustic elegance av driver built by Nathan Funk. I shortly after switched over to the eminence which was much better but not really blown away....why I eventually sold it and started on my trek to larger 18s...as I had mentioned before Rythmik was on my radar but still in prototype phase and why I just splurged for the funk. One question I was asked over and over again via PM or in the PSA thread on AVS why and what's the difference...it's hard to describe when you hear it... it's obvious...mid bass clean and snappy with no overhang on notes as you noted above...my xs30....was sloppy and really lacked impact or visceral effects...I pretty much told them...I suppose, now the majority of PSA owner... switched over to the iPal...can sort of understand what I'm talking about...if I where hastened to guess the Rythmik paper n aluminum cone blended together would sound like the carbon fiber TSAD....funk uses...iirc... Rythmik was looking into CF because it's light weight and can take a beating but trying to incorporate that design into a single woofer won't be a cheap endeavor...but that's why they(Rythmik) offers current options to keep the cost down for them as well as their customers...
    Last edited by billy p; 12-24-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.