Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

Default L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

I've had my Sierra-1 L/R for probably 12 years. I love them, they're super smooth, slightly laid back, inoffensive, slightly warm, and very forgiving. But I moved my setup to a larger room and I'd like something with greater dynamics (The S1 will get moved to my computer/office room). I get upgraditis every couple years but I always chicken out because I'm worried I wont like whatever I buy as much. So I've come to farm your input again

• L/R Budget: $2000
    • Receiver: Denon X3500
    • Center: Emotiva C2+
    • Surrounds: Ascend HTM 200-SE
    • Sub: TBD
    • Display: 75" Sony 900H
    • Distance from my ears to the display: ~9-10ft
    • Listening volume at that distance for music: 75-80dB
    • Music genres: Synthwave, alternative-rock, metal, witch house, trip-hop, electronic
    • Signature preference: liquid smooth mids/treble, forgiving, musical, rich/sweet, full, dynamic, non-fatiguing
    • Dislikes: bright, forward, analytical, harsh, thin, edgy treble

I know we all have a slight bias for Ascend speakers, but these are the options I've been considering so far:

1. Revel F36 $1550: I auditioned the F16 from Crutchfield for a bit and really liked it. Seemed to have more clarity than my Sierra-1, though less bass. The F16 didn't quite fill my room but I wanted to get a sense of the sound signature. I've read a lot of comments like ""ear bleeding / screaming / bright / unforgiving / lean" though when the F36 comes to metal/rock/synthwave music (for Audioslave - Like a Stone, for example). So I'm of course scared of trying it now (I unfortunately didn't test the F16 for much rock when I had them).

2. Wharfedale EVO 4.4 $2000: I auditioned the EVO 4.2 from Crutchfield too. Liked it a lot, but found it a tad dark/intimate/veiled and not as "free" or immersive when rocking out as the F16 or Sierra-1. Definitely non-fatiguing though. But I'm hesitant to dive into getting the towers because of these concerns.

3. Revel M106 $2000: I've read it has a much more smoother/refined sound compared to the F16 but it's been difficult to find direct comparisons. And it's still a pair of bookshelf speakers for $2000 which seems kind of expensive. Would love to read more about it though.

4. Ascend Sierra-2EX ~$1600: Since it's announcement/release, I've been reading as much as I can about it, notably because it's been described as more rich/warm compared to the Sierra-2. But I still see some accounts of it being a bit bright (though still very non-fatiguing), sounding a bit lean for metal/synthwave, and not being super forgiving due to no treble roll-off unlike some soft-dome speakers. I'm still completely engrossed by them, but they're still bookshelf speakers - will they give me the increase in dynamics that I want? And if I found them not ideal for the music I like, return shipping from Fresno would hurt a tad.

That's kind of where I am at the moment. Anyone have any comments on the new Polk Reserve towers, Aperion towers, comparable Dynaudio bookshelfs, BMRs, or anything else? I've largely eliminated the likes of KEF, Monitor Audio, SVS, B&W, Dali, Focal, etc because it seems like those have a more trebly-forward sound or are on the brighter side of neutral.
    Last edited by edgeh2o; 11-30-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    Home - Sony 75" 900H, Denon X3500, Sierra-1 L/R, Emotiva C2+ Center
    Car - Arc Audio KS 300.2, 300.4, 2500.1; Arc Audio Black 6.2; (2) Arc Audio Black 12's; Audison BitOne

Exclamation Re: L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

EH,

After reviewing Your Preferences/Dislikes list, if you liked the Sierra-1's as mains before, believe you will LOVE the Sierra-2EX's!!! IMHO, they Well Exceed the sonic prowess that the S-1 is known for!

Of door #1-#3, I've heard the Revel M106...nice speakers but to my ears, they are no competition to the Sierra-2EX, which easily compete with very competent Retail Monitors in the market place that are 4X+ the asking price of the S-2EX!

You probably have but if not, review the Sierra-2EX Verified-User thread reviews...plenty of solid testimonials that may assist your selection!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

If you aren't set on moving the S1's to the computer room/office, maybe just upgrade the S1's to S2EX? The kits are 538/each, so probably around 1100 with shipping. That leaves 900 for a sub (look at the Rythmiks - very musical and clean bass - which one depends on your room size). Then maybe pick up a pair of HTM200's for the computer room/office if you need new speakers for there.

theophile - good to hear about the M106. I definitely think the Sierra-2EX is the only bookshelf I'd consider at this point. I've never had towers though, or even listened to music on towers, so that's what I'm definitely wrestling with, but sonic signature is still my top priority.

racrawford - I've thought about the upgrade kit since it was announced but I love the S1 so much that I def want to keep them in some form, either in my office or in my bedroom. For the sub, it will def be between Rythmik and PSA.
    Car - Arc Audio KS 300.2, 300.4, 2500.1; Arc Audio Black 6.2; (2) Arc Audio Black 12's; Audison BitOne

Quote Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post
    I've had my Sierra-1 L/R for probably 12 years. I love them, they're super smooth, slightly laid back, inoffensive, slightly warm, and very forgiving. But I moved my setup to a larger room and I'd like something with greater dynamics (The S1 will get moved to my computer/office room). I get upgraditis every couple years but I always chicken out because I'm worried I wont like whatever I buy as much. So I've come to farm your input again

• L/R Budget: $2000
    • Receiver: Denon X3500
    • Center: Emotiva C2+
    • Surrounds: Ascend HTM 200-SE
    • Sub: TBD
    • Display: 75" Sony 900H
    • Distance from my ears to the display: ~9-10ft
    • Listening volume at that distance for music: 75-80dB
    • Music genres: Synthwave, alternative-rock, metal, witch house, trip-hop, electronic
    • Signature preference: liquid smooth mids/treble, forgiving, musical, rich/sweet, full, dynamic, non-fatiguing
    • Dislikes: bright, forward, analytical, harsh, thin, edgy treble

I know we all have a slight bias for Ascend speakers, but these are the options I've been considering so far:
    I have the 2EXs and BMRs. I also have the Denon X3500. I think the BMRs sound better but the difference is not that great. Most of the difference is due to BMR being a 3-way speaker. If smaller size matters, the BMR is ~5-1/2” taller. The 2EXs have a warranty. Ascend customer service is exceptional. There is no warranty mentioned on the BMR website. It would also be April before it is available if ordered now. With all that said, I will never sell the 2EXs.
    Last edited by ahender; 12-05-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    I have the 2EXs and BMRs. I also have the Denon X3500. I think the BMRs sound better but the difference is not that great. Most of the difference is due to BMR being a 3-way speaker. If smaller size matters, the BMR is ~5-1/2” taller. The 2EXs have a warranty. Ascend customer service is exceptional. There is no warranty mentioned on the BMR website. It would also be April before it is available if ordered now. With all that said, I will never sell the 2EXs.
    The larger size wouldn't bother me, though it wouldn't look as seamless as the 2EX on my Ascend speaker stands. Nor would the wait time, I feel like this has been a 5 year decision in the making for me as it is. As far as treble smoothness and overall 'sweetness' to the sound goes, how do they compare?

I've started going back reading more Sierra-2/Sierra-2EX vs Ascend Towers (without RAAL for budget-purposes) comparisons. My concern with the NrT tweeter (and the reason why I never did the NrT upgrade for the Sierra-1) is the increased brightness of it. I wonder though with the towers having that dedicated midrange, if the NrT tweeter would be less bright as it would be playing a more narrow bandwidth verses the Sierra-1 w/ NrT upgrade. I also wonder what the Ascend Tower would be like with the Sierra-1 original tweeter.

The Wharfedale EVO just sounded a bit smeared and veiled, but I did appreciate the nonfatiguing sound. I was worried about the Revel M series with the metal tweeter, but I unfortunately never tested much rock/alternative music on it as I got busy with other things during the time I had it. Just really trying to make this next decision "the one".

The larger size wouldn't bother me, though it wouldn't look as seamless as the 2EX on my Ascend speaker stands. Nor would the wait time, I feel like this has been a 5 year decision in the making for me as it is. As far as treble smoothness and overall 'sweetness' to the sound goes, how do they compare?

I've started going back reading more Sierra-2/Sierra-2EX vs Ascend Towers (without RAAL for budget-purposes) comparisons. My concern with the NrT tweeter (and the reason why I never did the NrT upgrade for the Sierra-1) is the increased brightness of it. I wonder though with the towers having that dedicated midrange, if the NrT tweeter would be less bright as it would be playing a more narrow bandwidth verses the Sierra-1 w/ NrT upgrade. I also wonder what the Ascend Tower would be like with the Sierra-1 original tweeter.

The Wharfedale EVO just sounded a bit smeared and veiled, but I did appreciate the nonfatiguing sound. I was worried about the Revel M series with the metal tweeter, but I unfortunately never tested much rock/alternative music on it as I got busy with other things during the time I had it. Just really trying to make this next decision "the one".
    Edgeh2o,

You may want to check Dave F.'s comments that start in the second paragraph of post #7 for http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...the-NrT-towers. He goes through the comparative sound signatures of the Sierra-1 NrT, Sierra-2, and the Ribbon/Dome towers (since this is from 2015, the Sierra-2EX was not out yet).

Ascend0577

Quote Originally Posted by Ascend0577 View Post
    Edgeh2o,

You may want to check Dave F.'s comments that start in the second paragraph of post #7 for http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...the-NrT-towers. He goes through the comparative sound signatures of the Sierra-1 NrT, Sierra-2, and the Ribbon/Dome towers (since this is from 2015, the Sierra-2EX was not out yet).

Ascend0577
    Thanks! That was enjoyable to read. If the Towers are between the S1-NrT and S2 in terms of forwardness... I wonder if the S2EX would be between the S2 and original S1, since Dave has said the S2EX is more warm and sweet than the S2.

I probably look at the 2EX and RAAL Tower product pages every other day haha. And I check the B-Stock listing regularly. I think it would be irresponsible of me to buy the RAAL Towers, though it has been a while since I made a large purchase for myself. I actually wonder if I'd prefer the sound signature...the extra sweetness/warmth of the S2EX over the Towers. I just worry if the S2EX would be noticeably more dynamic/larger sounding than my current S1.

I think in terms of budget, it's between the S2EX, Revel F36, and Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 for the "sound" I'm looking for... super smooth, neutral or slightly laid-back, and nonfatiguingly musical. Perhaps ELACs would work too. Because when I read about KEF, B&W, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, Focal, Dali, SVS, Paradigm, Polk Reserve, etc... there's always something that concerns me in the budget bracket I'm looking at.

Prior to the Sierra-1, I had AV123 ELT525 and X-LS Encore speakers which I also liked. The S1 took what I liked about those speakers to another level. Simply, musical enjoyment. Emotion verses analytic. And that's the route I'm trying to continue pursuing.

You're welcome!

I think in terms of budget, it's between the S2EX, Revel F36, and Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 for the "sound" I'm looking for... super smooth, neutral or slightly laid-back, and nonfatiguingly musical. Perhaps ELACs would work too. Because when I read about KEF, B&W, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, Focal, Dali, SVS, Paradigm, Polk Reserve, etc... there's always something that concerns me in the budget bracket I'm looking at.

Prior to the Sierra-1, I had AV123 ELT525 and X-LS Encore speakers which I also liked. The S1 took what I liked about those speakers to another level. Simply, musical enjoyment. Emotion verses analytic. And that's the route I'm trying to continue pursuing.
    Based on your comments, I feel the Sierra-2EX are *exactly* the speakers you are looking for
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com