Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sub is Down

Default Re: Sub is Down

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I agree with you, Pogre. I'd rather have my sub working than not. On the other hand, I listen to at at least 95% music and no pipe organ music. The sub is nice for the occasional movie. There is an equalizer in Apple Music with many settings. I've been trying them out and the Increase Bass setting gives a +6 dB boost to the lowest frequency range and it sounds really good. There is plenty of deep bass. My purpose in this post was/is to express my extreme happiness with sound quality of the Towers.
    I'm mostly music and super happy with my towers too, but I do prefer the subtle difference my subs make even with music that doesn't dig overly deep. I have them dialed in really tight and they add just a little bit more depth and weight to stuff like bass guitars, kick drums and lower tuned toms. "Hotel California" off the Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" live disc is one of my favorites for showing off my system. There's a very deep tom in that version and it really wakes up and adds depth to the song when the subs are on. Bands like TOOL, Soen and Porcupine Tree that have some decent bass, even if not real deep, just seem bigger and fuller.

Admittedly sometimes it's not always easy to tell the difference tho, and the towers really do make a good showing even when my subs are off. It doesn't hurt either that I have a MiniDSP for my subs and have a lot more eq control over their fr than the towers.

I would also strongly endorse "Hotel California" from "Hell Freezes Over" as great demo tune.
    Yamaha A-S2200 Integrated Amp, Sierra EXL Towers (RAAL), Node Streamer, Bifrost 2 DAC, Old Ears

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I would also strongly endorse "Hotel California" from "Hell Freezes Over" as great demo tune.
    I first heard it on a pair of B&W 802 D3s with perfect placement in an acoustically treated room at a b&m av store called "Bjorn's" in San Antonio Texas. It was their flagship system and they had it dialed in, powered with a big ol' stack of Mac gear. I was just floored at how clean that track is and immediately had to find a copy, lol.

I'm not normally a huge fan of B&W, but the 802 D3s blew me away. At almost $20k tho, too much for me. Gimme my Sierra ribbons and a few subwoofers and I'm pretty much there at a fraction of the cost.

Another good one for showing off your speakers is a live Nils Lofgren acoustic guitar recording of "Keith Don't Go". He's a very talented guitarist and that recording is just so clean. You can hear every fret tap, finger slide and the natural ring of the guitar strings. It's really well mic'ed and recorded.

I found it on yt and it actually isn't bad, but the higher res version is even better.

Last edited by Pogre; 11-21-2021 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

Yes, another great song and album.
    Yamaha A-S2200 Integrated Amp, Sierra EXL Towers (RAAL), Node Streamer, Bifrost 2 DAC, Old Ears

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Another good one for showing off your speakers is a live Nils Lofgren acoustic guitar recording of "Keith Don't Go". He's a very talented guitarist and that recording is just so clean. You can hear every fret tap, finger slide and the natural ring of the guitar strings. It's really well mic'ed and recorded.
    Thank you for the recommendation. Just added this one to my album folder, and it is indeed very well recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I first heard it on a pair of B&W 802 D3s with perfect placement in an acoustically treated room at a b&m av store called "Bjorn's" in San Antonio Texas. It was their flagship system and they had it dialed in, powered with a big ol' stack of Mac gear. I was just floored at how clean that track is and immediately had to find a copy, lol.

I'm not normally a huge fan of B&W, but the 802 D3s blew me away. At almost $20k tho, too much for me. Gimme my Sierra ribbons and a few subwoofers and I'm pretty much there at a fraction of the cost.

I found it on yt and it actually isn't bad, but the higher res version is even better.

This is a standard at audio shows, we use it for demos at our office.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just a follow-up here. I did contact Rythmik and Brian said to send in the F12's amp. He sent a very complete email with pictures on how to remove the amp and package it to survive shipping. The email also contained a UPS shipping label. The amp was going into protection mode due to a failing transistor and is now being shipped back to me. It should arrive midweek. Notice that Rythmik paid for shipping both ways! That's customer support! I was in month 30 of a 3 year warrantee on the sub's electronics. However, I was never asked to show proof that I was the original owner. I assume they knew that from their records.

I just wanted to let folks know how this went. The main intention of this thread was to express my amazement as to how good the Towers sound without a sub for music.