Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub is Down

Default Sub is Down

For some reason, my subwoofer (Rythmik F12) has quit working. I have the RAAL Towers with a Yamaha A-S2200 and I'm actually questioning the need for a sub with this setup. I stream nearly all of my music using Apple Music to a Node --> Schiit Bifrost 2 --> amp. The music sounds wonderful without the sub! Of course I'll contact Rythmik, but I'm not in such a rush now. These speakers are so impressive!
    Yamaha A-S2200 Integrated Amp, Sierra EXL Towers (RAAL), Node Streamer, Bifrost 2 DAC, Old Ears

Default Re: Sub is Down

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    For some reason, my subwoofer (Rythmik F12) has quit working. I have the RAAL Towers with a Yamaha A-S2200 and I'm actually questioning the need for a sub with this setup. I stream nearly all of my music using Apple Music to a Node --> Schiit Bifrost 2 --> amp. The music sounds wonderful without the sub! Of course I'll contact Rythmik, but I'm not in such a rush now. These speakers are so impressive!
    Is the sub power went to off somehow or fuse blow? If sub power if fine, is it possible to change the signal output from Yamaha to see if the signal input to the sub is working correctly?

elan120, I did swap the fuses in the sub and tried a different set of RCA cables. The power light in the sub does not come on when plugged in and the switch is moved between positions. Seems like its an amplifier problem or something wrong with amp output. There are only L/R Preout/Subwoofer ports (RCA's) on the back of the amp. I don't know how to change the signal from the amp. Thank you for the suggestions.
    Yamaha A-S2200 Integrated Amp, Sierra EXL Towers (RAAL), Node Streamer, Bifrost 2 DAC, Old Ears

elan120, I did swap the fuses in the sub and tried a different set of RCA cables. The power light in the sub does not come on when plugged in and the switch is moved between positions. Seems like its an amplifier problem or something wrong with amp output. There are only L/R Preout/Subwoofer ports (RCA's) on the back of the amp. I don't know how to change the signal from the amp. Thank you for the suggestions.
    If the power light in the sub doesn't come on when plugged in, it is likely the amplifier for the sub is now defective.

As for the amp output, I was refer to the "Line2" input/output (next to the "Main in / Pre out" ports for troubleshooting.

I never thought about the Line 2 Out as an option. Thank you again for that tip.

Curious now, could a center speaker be plugged into that Line 2 Out ?

Yes, but with an amp in between, unless it is an active center speaker.

Although it can be done, it would be somewhat interesting how this setup will sound like. Were you thinking about having a "stereo" center channel speakers setup?

You know, for a lot of my music I think I'd have to agree a sub isn't absolutely necessary with the towers. I've flipped back and forth a few times across several albums and the difference is subtle until you get into some deeper bass tracks from the likes of Korn, No Doubt, Jinjer or Chevelle. I still prefer having my subs in play, but could live without them for a chunk of my music.

I agree with you, Pogre. I'd rather have my sub working than not. On the other hand, I listen to at at least 95% music and no pipe organ music. The sub is nice for the occasional movie. There is an equalizer in Apple Music with many settings. I've been trying them out and the Increase Bass setting gives a +6 dB boost to the lowest frequency range and it sounds really good. There is plenty of deep bass. My purpose in this post was/is to express my extreme happiness with sound quality of the Towers.