Thread: Ascend CBM-170SE for surround speakers

Default Ascend CBM-170SE for surround speakers

I was wondering how well the the 170s would do hung on a wall for surround speakers? I know they are rear ported speakers. Now sure how they would be effected if put up against the wall. I have the CTM-340se as my LCR. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Default Re: Ascend CBM-170SE for surround speakers

I think you'll need to space them off the wall, at least equal to the port diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I think you'll need to space them off the wall, at least equal to the port diameter.
    If running full range, definitely. But would that matter with a sub, if setting the crossover at the typical 80Hz?

You'd still get output below 80 hz as that's about where the bass starts to roll-off. How fast would depend on the design of the cross-over (eg, like a cliff or lesser slope). So, I think it is still necessary as there will be airflow out of the port (perhaps at a lower flow-rate).

Quote Originally Posted by lairz0907 View Post
    I was wondering how well the the 170s would do hung on a wall for surround speakers? I know they are rear ported speakers. Now sure how they would be effected if put up against the wall. I have the CTM-340se as my LCR. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    I believe I replied to your email regarding this, but it might have been a different customer. 170's are fantastic as surrounds with 340's as fronts. If running them crossed at 80Hz with a sub (recommended) - only 1" of clearance behind them is needed...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com