Thread: In search of stereo perfection w/Sierra-2 EX? Praise for the CBM-170SE

Default In search of stereo perfection w/Sierra-2 EX? Praise for the CBM-170SE

Should I buy a pair of Sierra-2 EX’s for my living room stereo, or should I wait until I’ve used up the honeymoon period on my CBM-170SE’s?

Background
    =========
    I just setup the Living Room system today, starting with CBM-170SE’s.

For several years I’ve used Ascend speakers in my basement surround system. RAAL Tower fronts, Sierra-2 Center. Rears were initially CBM-170SE, until one fell six feet to the floor breaking off the binding posts :-(. As a quick fix, I bought a pair of HTM-200SE to fill in. A very good choice I might add. I finally fixed the broken 170, and set them up in in a new Living Room stereo configuration. Holy crap, these speakers sound amazing by themselves, not just as rears!

Now, this presents a challenge to me. If the CBM-170SE is this good, how stellar must be the Sierra-2 EX!

I am seriously tempted.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve
    Last edited by Sbrom; 11-15-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Default Re: In search of stereo perfection w/Sierra-2 EX? Praise for the CBM-170SE

Have you try running your RAAL towers in your living room stereo setup? If it is easy enough to move from your basement, it might give you a closer sense of what 2EX can do, but the danger is wanting another RAAL towers as your 2 channel living room system.

If you are heavy in 2 channel listening, another option is consider a pair of 2EX's as front mains in the surround system, and move the RAAL towers to the stereo system.

What source do you use to feed your stereo system?

Default Re: In search of stereo perfection w/Sierra-2 EX? Praise for the CBM-170SE

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    Have you try running your RAAL towers in your living room stereo setup? If it is easy enough to move from your basement, it might give you a closer sense of what 2EX can do, but the danger is wanting another RAAL towers as your 2 channel living room system.

If you are heavy in 2 channel listening, another option is consider a pair of 2EX's as front mains in the surround system, and move the RAAL towers to the stereo system.

What source do you use to feed your stereo system?
    Great suggestion and question!

1. I’m will consider your suggestion to move my RAAL Towers upstairs. The prospect is physically daunting but do-able. My original thought for the Living Room system was casual listening, hence the CBM170’s. However my excitement at hearing decent sound in the more casual living room environment has me yearning for more. RAAL Towers could provide the “more”, especially fitting because there are no subwoofers upstairs.

2. Source for the Living room is a work in progress. Right now during experimentation I’m using an old Pioneer AVR as a stereo amp (60 W/ch @ 8 Ohms), and Apple Music streaming (CD quality). This will migrate to an integrated amp or receiver (80-100 W) supporting DLNA from my NAS, Apple Music, and Sony SACD/BR player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbrom View Post
    Great suggestion and question!

1. I’m will consider your suggestion to move my RAAL Towers upstairs. The prospect is physically daunting but do-able. My original thought for the Living Room system was casual listening, hence the CBM170’s. However my excitement at hearing decent sound in the more casual living room environment has me yearning for more. RAAL Towers could provide the “more”, especially fitting because there are no subwoofers upstairs.

2. Source for the Living room is a work in progress. Right now during experimentation I’m using an old Pioneer AVR as a stereo amp (60 W/ch @ 8 Ohms), and Apple Music streaming (CD quality). This will migrate to an integrated amp or receiver (80-100 W) supporting DLNA from my NAS, Apple Music, and Sony SACD/BR player.
    1. It will be good to hear your feedback if you decide to give this a try. Just be mindful that once we get to hear something better, it is hard to undo that feeling, and you could be thinking about having the RAAL towers for the stereo setup in the end.

2. As you continue to improve the source, RAAL tower should continue to scale with it, so enjoy the journey.
    Last edited by elan120; 11-16-2021 at 06:57 AM.