Thread: Speaker for new home theater

Default Speaker for new home theater

I'm interested in buy speakers from my new home theater room. I have thought about buying 5 of the HTM-200SE for all my speakers or buying 3 CMT-340SE for fronts and center and HTM-200SE for surrounds. My room is 18X13X7 feet. Would a all HTM-200SE system be big enough for a room that large?

Default Re: Speaker for new home theater

How loud do you like to listen?
    Do you (or will you) get a subwoofer?
    Is the room enclosed or open to other parts of the house?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    How loud do you like to listen?
    Do you (or will you) get a subwoofer?
    Is the room enclosed or open to other parts of the house?
    I listen just under reference level. I have 2 subwoofers already. The room is enclosed.

Quote Originally Posted by lairz0907 View Post
    I listen just under reference level. I have 2 subwoofers already. The room is enclosed.
    Did you actually measure that with a SPL meter?

What speakers do you have now and what do you drive them with?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Did you actually measure that with a SPL meter?

What speakers do you have now and what do you drive them with?
    Yes with an SPL Meter. I had some older Klipsch speakers. I'm building my first decided home theater room now. I really wanted a new set of speaker to put it in.

I'd buy the best you can afford. If the options as above, I'd go with the 3 CMT + 2 HTM instead of the 5 HTMs

+1 for the 340s up front. I have them as my LR mains, assisted by a Rythmik L12 sub. My family room is almost exactly the same dimensions, but with 8' ceiling and partially open to kitchen and foyer at the two ends of one of the long walls.
    Even with that and the fairly modest horsepower of my Emotiva Fusion 8100 (2x110W or 5x80W), I am not left wanting for music and more than satisfied for movies.
    The CMT-340SE as LCR will give you more dynamic and more "body" in upper bass and mids.

Has anyone tried CBM-170SE as left and right, CBM-340SE and HTM-200 SE for rears? Does anyone know a good speaker to in ceiling speakers that timbre mater well the Ascend speakers. Thank for all your help so far.

I don't recall the brand but Dave had recommended some in this forum somewhere (I believe the brand was Sonance). Maybe someone else can confirm or you could find it via a search.

Someone also mounted the HTM200's in ceiling for ATMOS use. I use the HTM's for Atmos, but high on ceiling.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 10-24-2021 at 05:44 PM.

I have 170 SE's for left/right, 340c SE for center, and 200 SE's for rears. Dave F recommended Sonance for in-ceiling atmos, so I got VP60R's. I have a Hsu sub.

I'm sure my ear isn't as refined as most people on this forum, but I'm very happy with this setup. Movies sound terrific. I'm sure you could do better at a higher price point, but I never feel like there's anything lacking.