Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

Thumbs up Re: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    Ted,

The new year is off to a great start and hopefully it is for you as well. I ended up returning the 2EX and purchased a pair of Heritage Specials. The decision was based on the appearance of the Dynaudio. I loved that vintage looking American walnut. I also found the sound a little warmer than the 2EX. Where the Heritage Specials fall short is in the bass extension and I do miss that.

I love the Dyns but I am thinking seriously about fulfilling a dream that I have long had, which is buying a pair of Martin Logans. I am also waiting to see what the BIG news is. Might be an updated Tower.

Konrad
    Konrad,

Now, you have answered your own original question of comparison! I agree the Heritage cabinets are beautiful but for me, would not have spent $4X the investment, especially after the 2EX break-in time frame (150-200 hours for me), where they Really come in to their Sonic Glory!! However, understand that visual aesthetics are a strong priority...You did Good!

FWIW, I got to hear a demo of the ML Classic ESL 9's (Magnolia Audio) in N.O. In the sweet spot, preferred their tonality, balance, dynamics and clarity over the much larger Magnepan 1.7i electrostatic panels. However, neither the ML's or Maggies "Soundstages" would extend very deep Or to the outside of speakers, just a diffused sound with bloated imaging between the speakers. No doubt I was hearing poor setups, but I've read too many times at the difficulty of getting them dialed-in properly to various room arrangements!?!

Good luck on your continued speaker quest!!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 03-12-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    RRT-NPS,
    IMHO, just get 50-100 hrs of music break-in before passing judgement...believe you won't be disappointed.!
    Do they really change that much? I thought my speakers sounded awesome right out of the box and can't say I noticed any changes. I definitely didn't measure any differences. I've always thought of break in as more for the listener breaking into the new sound than any real change in performance, and most speakers are broken in after the first couple of minutes. I'm pretty far from having any expertise on the subject tho and acknowledge I could be totally wrong.

There might be something to it, but I'm unconvinced. I'd be curious to see what Dave has to say about it.

Exclamation Re: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Do they really change that much? I thought my speakers sounded awesome right out of the box and can't say I noticed any changes. I definitely didn't measure any differences. I've always thought of break in as more for the listener breaking into the new sound than any real change in performance, and most speakers are broken in after the first couple of minutes. I'm pretty far from having any expertise on the subject tho and acknowledge I could be totally wrong.

There might be something to it, but I'm unconvinced. I'd be curious to see what Dave has to say about it.
    Pogre,

IME, every new speaker system has been different. Over the past 42 years, the Sierra 2EX were my 6th pair of New Speakers (3-ADS, 1-AV123, 3-Ascend Acoustic)! Balanced low-mid bass outputs came around within a few hours, to a day or so. However the 2EX, whose fast-tight-punchy and articulate deep bass potential took over 100 hours of normal music playback to really shine. During that break-in period, bass and lower midrange just got better and better!!

Maybe little of both...breaking in the tight tolerance/high end SEAS EX custom 6" mid/woofer + My Ears?!? The 2EX started out Really Great but now, their presentation with my music genre is just wave after wave of mind-blowing top-to-bottom Live Auditory Nirvana!

Ted

Blow My Mind.png
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!