Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

Default Re: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Very happy to hear that you are enjoying the speakers!

Regarding the finish, first off - it is very important to understand that these are fully hardwood cabinets. These are not veneered cabinets, whereby a thin (often 2-4mm thick) layer of hardwood is glued / adhered to MDF or plywood.

With real hardwood furniture, there are 2 types of finishing. Filled grain and unfilled grain. With filled grain, the texture of the wood grain is "filled" with layers of clear coat. This often takes many layers of clear. With unfilled grain, there is still clear coat layers, but it is not applied as heavily so that the actual texture of the grain remains. Both types of finishing methods are considered furniture grade, in fact - with actual hardwood furniture, unfilled grain is more common as consumers generally want that unique quality (every piece is different). Our domestic cabinets are an unfilled grain finish, while our standard cabinets are a filled grain.

If you prefer a more consistent finish whereby there is no actual grain texture, you will need to go with a standard cabinet. As I understand it, you are already working with Dina regarding this.

It is simply not possible to have any type of consistency with regard to real wood grain, mother nature is not consistent and the grain itself runs through the entire cut of wood (bamboo) rather than the much lesser expensive option of simply using a veneer.

I hope this makes sense...
    Thanks and that actually does make sense. Dina explained it via phone but I was driving and it didn't hit home like it did reading it here. It seems I do prefer a filled grain but at the same time I prefer magnetic grills. Am I right in assuming that the grain probably isn't as noticeable visually in the natural bamboo?

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    Thanks and that actually does make sense. Dina explained it via phone but I was driving and it didn't hit home like it did reading it here. It seems I do prefer a filled grain but at the same time I prefer magnetic grills. Am I right in assuming that the grain probably isn't as noticeable visually in the natural bamboo?
    The grain/bamboo is the most visible with the natural bamboo finish(I love my natural bamboo finished cabinets). Is it the visual that bothers you or the physical texture?

You can see renderings of the finishes here:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...srm2exgal.html
    Last edited by curtis; 10-29-2021 at 08:29 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The grain/bamboo is the most visible with the natural bamboo finish(I love my natural bamboo finished cabinets). Is it the visual that bothers you or the physical texture?

It's actually the consistency or lack thereof. I realize this is normal. I also know that I am uber picky. Family and friends often describe me as "particular". Some even say difficult.

Exclamation Re: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

It's actually the consistency or lack thereof. I realize this is normal. I also know that I am uber picky. Family and friends often describe me as "particular". Some even say difficult.
    Your ears, your setup, your taste and Your $$$...being picky Is Your Privilege!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Visual consistency or physical/textural consistency?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

For many years my favorite finish was piano black. However, I would say for the past 6-7 years, I now much prefer the natural unfilled grain look of our domestic cabinets. Each cabinet is somewhat unique and without question, the domestic natural finish is my absolute favorite.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

We are happy to work with you on this, just please keep in touch with Dina so we can get this resolved.

The grain is visually more noticeable, but the texture is less noticeable. Darker colors reveal less grain but reveal more texture, while lighter colors show more grain, but the texture is less noticeable.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We are happy to work with you on this, just please keep in touch with Dina so we can get this resolved.

The grain is visually more noticeable, but the texture is less noticeable. Darker colors reveal less grain but reveal more texture, while lighter colors show more grain, but the texture is less noticeable.

Thank you. At this point I am just listening daily trying to determine if the amazing sound eclipses the concerns I have about the finish. That being said, they sound amazing. I wasn't prepared for the midrange to sound as great as it does. At the same time, I look at speakers as furniture that make music and I want them to be something I love looking at daily.

Thumbs up Re: Anyone compared the EX to Dynaudio Special 40 or Heritage Special?

Thank you. At this point I am just listening daily trying to determine if the amazing sound eclipses the concerns I have about the finish. That being said, they sound amazing. I wasn't prepared for the midrange to sound as great as it does. At the same time, I look at speakers as furniture that make music and I want them to be something I love looking at daily.
    RRT-NPS

Soooo, has the 2EX Auditory Prowess yet eclipsed the domestic finish concerns?

Hope the new year finds you and yours well!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    RRT-NPS

Soooo, has the 2EX Auditory Prowess yet eclipsed the domestic finish concerns?

Hope the new year finds you and yours well!

Ted
    Ted,

The new year is off to a great start and hopefully it is for you as well. I ended up returning the 2EX and purchased a pair of Heritage Specials. The decision was based on the appearance of the Dynaudio. I loved that vintage looking American walnut. I also found the sound a little warmer than the 2EX. Where the Heritage Specials fall short is in the bass extension and I do miss that.

I love the Dyns but I am thinking seriously about fulfilling a dream that I have long had, which is buying a pair of Martin Logans. I am also waiting to see what the BIG news is. Might be an updated Tower.

Konrad