Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Grill or not to Grill

Default Re: To Grill or not to Grill

No grills here.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I have always kept the grilles on with my Ascend speakers. I hear no difference, and I felt safer when my kids were younger (I never showed them what was underneath).

Now they are much older, and it is just habit. I would rather the grilles get dusty and not have to dust the drivers.
    You know what works great for dusting speakers? Good ol' swiffer wand. Works great for gloss finishes and dusty speaker grilles too! I can dust my whole front stage in about 2 minutes and never worry about micro scuffs and scratches.

Since my EX's are in a dedicated listening room with no kids/pets running around, I leave the grills off. I can admire the copper phase plug and RAAL ribbon while enjoying the sound!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Red face Re: To Grill or not to Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Since my EX's are in a dedicated listening room with no kids/pets running around, I leave the grills off. I can admire the copper phase plug and RAAL ribbon while enjoying the sound!
    Like Ed, I also have a dedicated sound room, but sometimes forget to keep the door closed when the grandsons are around (they know the rules, but 7 year olds quickly forget)...thus, Grills On!!

Yes, the Sierra-2EX are Very Cool to look at (and take pics of). However, when listening to my music library, my visual attention is usually tuned to the huge live venue ambiance of the soundstage, as I can easily visualize the musician and singer placements, spacial clues, and physical presence in the deep and wide holographic presentation that the 2EX portray! What I See (stereo & small room) vs What I Hear (Stepping Into Carnegie Hall) is simply...Mind Blowing!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    You know what works great for dusting speakers? Good ol' swiffer wand. Works great for gloss finishes and dusty speaker grilles too! I can dust my whole front stage in about 2 minutes and never worry about micro scuffs and scratches.
    Got it. But what's better is if you have no reason to dust it.

OK...I hate house cleaning!
    -curtis

When it's just music, I get so caught up in it, I often close my eyes and imagine the venue and the musicians.

Of course when a movie is playing, not looking at the speakers then either. Clothed or naked I love how my Ascends look and especially how they sound, stunning either way!

Jay

Grill off if kids-pets-spouse aren't issue. Shows more finished cabinet and just looks nicer. In fact, I only considered speakers that were finished in the front since I think it looks nicer.

Amazing how important aesthetics are. The basement is supposed to be "mine" but it is still subject to spousal design standards (SDS). I think the Sierra2EX speakers look very sharp with the grill covers on. They look a bit more "industrial" with them off, even with the new woofer, but that would not pass the SDS. Regarding sound quality, I am going to try an A/B test just for fun, but I am predicting that I will not be able to tell the difference. +1 to Pogre for swiffer idea.

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post
    Amazing how important aesthetics are. The basement is supposed to be "mine" but it is still subject to spousal design standards (SDS). I think the Sierra2EX speakers look very sharp with the grill covers on. They look a bit more "industrial" with them off, even with the new woofer, but that would not pass the SDS. Regarding sound quality, I am going to try an A/B test just for fun, but I am predicting that I will not be able to tell the difference. +1 to Pogre for swiffer idea.
    This was the my favorite response thus far. I too am subject to similar SDS's. The kitchen is not subject to my SDS though LOL.
    Yamaha CX-A5200 Rotel RMB 1075 Rotel RB-951
    Ascend Sierra2 EX & Horizon Center Mirage Subs
    Klipsch Atmos PSB & NHT surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by davethedyer View Post
    Doesn't anyone like the look of the bronze colored aluminum phase plug on the midrange?
    Probably a more relevant question would be who in their right mind wouldn't like that elegant bullet in the middle of the Tower/Horizon mid range driver or the EX woofers? EVERYONE loves those things, they are so sophisticated, they just say "I pity the driver that doesn't have a phase plug"! A bit over the top?

Jay