Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Considering this to be an "End Game" speaker using the big boy RAAL, it should not share the "-2" designation. I agree..... it should carry the "-3" designation. That way it definitely separates it from the "-2" series. Also, if Dave ever comes out with another upgrade for the "-2EX" he could use the "Summit" designation or something similar. Upgrades for the "-3" could use similar designations, such as Summit, but having the "-3" vs. "-2" would keep them identifiable. Also, as the cabinet/porting will be different to accommodate the big RAAL the different number designation could help keep that confusion down.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 01-17-2022 at 05:41 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Cool Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Agree with Ed...let the End Game Sierra-3 Begin(is that okay, Dave?)!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Will this madness ever end?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Will this madness ever end?
    YES...when hell freezes over!
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

One of the hard lessons to learn is buy once cry once. I knew, after I received my towers no moving forward...unless I hit 7.5-10k barrier for new towers.
    Only thing that will prompt me to move up is if some way Dave's finds the time and improves the towers mids and bass units.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

With all this discussion about creating a souped up version of the Sierra-2EX with the 70-20 , what would be the thoughts about a cost reduced version of the Sierra Towers with just the 64-10? For those that don't listen super loud but would like the benefits of the midrange driver.

Would this cost even less than the standard Tower with the NRT tweeter?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hometheater View Post
    With all this discussion about creating a souped up version of the Sierra-2EX with the 70-20 , what would be the thoughts about a cost reduced version of the Sierra Towers with just the 64-10? For those that don't listen super loud but would like the benefits of the midrange driver.

Would this cost even less than the standard Tower with the NRT tweeter?

Thanks!
    I have been thinking about this for sometime now and we can implement it as a lower priced option compared to the 70-20xram ribbon. Our landed cost for our NrT dome and the 64-10x are similar, so retail pricing of a 64-10x version of our tower would basically be the same as the NrT version. Personally, I don't think the cost savings would be worth it - consumers really like to turn the volume up loud with towers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Considering this to be an "End Game" speaker using the big boy RAAL, it should not share the "-2" designation. I agree..... it should carry the "-3" designation. That way it definitely separates it from the "-2" series. Also, if Dave ever comes out with another upgrade for the "-2EX" he could use the "Summit" designation or something similar. Upgrades for the "-3" could use similar designations, such as Summit, but having the "-3" vs. "-2" would keep them identifiable. Also, as the cabinet/porting will be different to accommodate the big RAAL the different number designation could help keep that confusion down.
    I really like that, has a good ring to it. The Sierra Summit.... hmmm...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    RAAL prices continue to rise (like everything else) and shipping costs are crazy right now. Looking at the numbers and assuming we keep to our absurdly low profit margins, we would be looking at somewhere between $2800 - 3K per pair.
    How much more pain would I be in for if I wanted satin white domestic cabs (like my sierra-2s) with magnets. Any chance it’s more viable since the cabinet gets modified anyway? Or is it all done post exterior finish?

I’ve been dying to get the magnet faced cabs for my bookshelves, but it’s soooo much more than just doing the 2EX upgrade… but if we are talking about swapping to better tweeters to match my towers and it already requires a cabinet mod… somehow it’s easier to sell in my head.

The sad part is I’d still totally upgrade my 2s to 2EX anyway, there would be sooo many different ways to set it up. I could use em as dedicated/b speakers for HT to be paired with subs and do towers just for music, though that’s wasteful, I could rotate one tweeter and try it as a center even if I hate that lopsided look. I could try em as wides. Just so many options.

I’ve also been contemplating lunas and/or duos for front/rear heights but can’t decide if that would make the room feel oppressing lol. (Every speaker would be maybe 8-10ft from me at best lol, well maybe the wides would make it to 12/14).

But figuring out the next upgrade for my Sierra-2s (and adding Luna LCR center) are at the top of my “critical HT upgrades” list.

I wonder if shipping will ever go back down >_<. I could be way off on the pricing, but in my head I almost feel like you could fly them here to Seattle for less than shipping them these days lolol.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I really like that, has a good ring to it. The Sierra Summit.... hmmm...
    Dave, here's another thought.....

You could simply give the big RAAL monitor its own name, say, Ascend Everest!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6