Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Iirc...that driver was designed specifically for the S2ex to work alongside with the smaller 64-10 RAAL..in doing so making the S2 redundant.

I also recall or reading that the curv mid driver would not benefit the towers greatly because of the larger and more internal volume with the tower and use of the 70-20xr.

A newer tower would be very intriguing idea...thou.
    Actually, the EX woofer was developed to work specifically with the SEAS White Diamond tweeter, but after hearing of the incredible performance it offered all of us Sierra-2 owners asked about its use with the S2 RAAL, and thus Dave created a crossover to allow that. That is how the Sierra-2EX was born.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Exclamation Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I would be curious what that would cost as well. Although the tower's mid would not be a cost, I'm thinking that the EX woofer may cost more than both the tower's woofers combined.
    Agreed Ed! I also believe the 2EX Curv mid/woofer (designed to partner with the Seas Diamond Tweeter in the S2di) is at least equal cost to the two tower woofers, thus a wash in a RAAL Tower/3EX comparison!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Right...sorry for the confusion...that new curv though starting my gears thinking of what if Dave somehow finds a better alternative to an already well designed and throughout mid bass unit in the current towers.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for the detailed pics, information, and Klippel charts displaying the performance gains by substituting the RAAL 70-20XRAM for the 64-10 in a Sierra-2EX, Very Interesting!! Would that then be called a "Sierra 3-EX"?!!

Curious, what would a Sierra EX with the RAAL 70-20XRAM cost...Inquiring minds would like to know (SWAG method calculation roughly 25% less than the RAAL Towers)?!?

Ted
    RAAL prices continue to rise (like everything else) and shipping costs are crazy right now. Looking at the numbers and assuming we keep to our absurdly low profit margins, we would be looking at somewhere between $2800 - 3K per pair.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Agreed Ed! I also believe the 2EX Curv mid/woofer (designed to partner with the Seas Diamond Tweeter in the S2di) is at least equal cost to the two tower woofers, thus a wash in a RAAL Tower/3EX comparison!

Ted
    Not quite, the Sierra-2EX woofer costs us more in the range of 4 of the tower bass woofers! If sold retail, it would be in the $350-$450 range....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Honestly, I don't know how Dave can still hold the RAAL upgrade on the towers at only $700, but then I do not have insight to his actual costs.
    At this point, we really can't. The only reason we haven't increased pricing is due to our backorder. Once we are caught up, we absolutely must increase this pricing. RAAL has increased pricing multiple times now, add to that increased freight prices and the dollar's recent falling against the Euro, we are left with no choice.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    RAAL prices continue to rise (like everything else) and shipping costs are crazy right now. Looking at the numbers and assuming we keep to our absurdly low profit margins, we would be looking at somewhere between $2800 - 3K per pair.
    Looks like it would not be very cost effective at this point with current RAAL Tower pricing. For a few hundred dollars more you can still get the towers until the pricing needs to be adjusted.

I had that price range in the back of my mind as it seemed to make sense, but was also thinking it could not be that close to the tower pricing. Guess my hunch was accurate.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Not quite, the Sierra-2EX woofer costs us more in the range of 4 of the tower bass woofers! If sold retail, it would be in the $350-$450 range....
    Wow! I am often surprised at the real world cost of the components you use, Dave, and underestimate the incredible purchasing leverage you enjoy due to your strong relationships with your vendors.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Thumbs up Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

We have made this exact speaker for several customers. It requires extensive internal cabinet modifications to fit the huge 70-20, as well as a custom crossover - but it is indeed an "end game" bookshelf speaker at a significantly lower cost than the diamonds...
    Thanks for the clarifications Dave, very understandable! Still, a "Sierra-3EX" would easily be a market top end performing stand monitor (and around 63% less than the Sierra-2di)!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Looks like it would not be very cost effective at this point with current RAAL Tower pricing. For a few hundred dollars more you can still get the towers until the pricing needs to be adjusted.

I had that price range in the back of my mind as it seemed to make sense, but was also thinking it could not be that close to the tower pricing. Guess my hunch was accurate.
    The Salk Silk (stock 70-20xr + 5 1/2" Scan Illuminator woofer) is now retailing for $3900 /pair. Our version would use our custom 70-20xram (am = amorphous core transformer, quite a bit more expensive) + Our 6" EX woofer which is basically the direct competitor and very similar pricing to the Scan Illuminator series) + our bamboo cabinet vs MDF+Veneer cabinet. Price I quoted for our version of this speaker is still quite a bargain
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com