Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Thanks for clarifying/confirming, Dave.

As it is possible to upgrade the S2EX to the Diamond Tweeter, assuming that it would also be possible with the RAAL Towers, albeit at a substantial cost considering the Tweeter cost - correct?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Yes, we can offer this option as a kit. Unfortunately, these tweeters are insanely expensive and because we would be selling the tweeter and not a complete speaker, we would have to charge retail, or at least close to retail. Last time I checked, these tweeters were going for a bit over $6K per pair.

I can, however, include the custom crossover for free
    I had thought the woofer in the 2EX was based on the woofer in the Diamond, but not the same.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post

As it is possible to upgrade the S2EX to the Diamond Tweeter, assuming that it would also be possible with the RAAL Towers, albeit at a substantial cost considering the Tweeter cost - correct?
    I recall that the standard done tweeter can’t just have the Raal ribbon tweeter swapped in, unless you have some woodworking skills. If the diamond tweeter is the same for the bookshelf and tower, I don’t think it would fit the tower, if it is replacing the Raal ribbon tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I recall that the standard done tweeter can’t just have the Raal ribbon tweeter swapped in, unless you have some woodworking skills. If the diamond tweeter is the same for the bookshelf and tower, I don’t think it would fit the tower, if it is replacing the Raal ribbon tweeter.
    Humm....I thought the custom faceplate for all the tweeters was designed for simple drop in exchange. The lone exception where it's not recommended and wood skills are required is for the 70-20xr due to it size.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We actually made several pairs of Sierra-2EX diamonds for customers, and one pair of diamond towers. I think the way the economy is going, the market for such expensive speakers is shrinking.
    I would love to see some high resolution Klippel measurements of one of your speakers with the diamond tweeter. Hopefully someone orders another!

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Diamond tweeter will fit in the Sierra-2EX and in the Tower, regardless if the tower originally had the dome or the RAAL. However, the crossover will need to be changed to properly accommodate the diamond tweeter (for any of our speakers). Changing the crossover in the tower is complicated.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I had thought the woofer in the 2EX was based on the woofer in the Diamond, but not the same.
    I actually don't recall if we made any additional changes from the original prototype pair of EX woofers to what we ended up with. We had several rounds of samples.

It is certainly possible though, perhaps a change to the DCR of the voice coil (DC Resistance). I don't think we did, but at this point it is hard to remember.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post

Yes, it can be done with our towers but for this I recommend letting us handle it. The diamond dome is extremely fragile, and while it is protected by its own grille, a misplaced screw could spell disaster and changing the crossover in the tower is difficult and requires soldering.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

thanks, Dave. I'm quite happy with the RAALs in the Tower so will likely not do this upgrade, at least anytime soon, since I recently placed an order for a Horizon with RAAL, considering the 2EX upgrade for my S2 and in the processing of buying some land in Brazil (wife's home country).

Would the RAAL 70-20 used in the towers fit the Sierra 2EX? I know the 70-20 has some advantages over the smaller 64-10 variant, like being able to have a lower crossover and lower distortion…if there’s a desire for an “end game” bookshelf that would be more accessible to the masses, maybe that’s a modification that can be made?
    Last edited by RMW; 10-16-2021 at 09:52 AM.