Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I have been thinking about this for sometime now and we can implement it as a lower priced option compared to the 70-20xram ribbon. Our landed cost for our NrT dome and the 64-10x are similar, so retail pricing of a 64-10x version of our tower would basically be the same as the NrT version. Personally, I don't think the cost savings would be worth it - consumers really like to turn the volume up loud with towers.
    Speaking of sensitivity, how does a Sierra Summit stack up to a 2EX in that area? Would a Summit be capable of more volume due to the capabilty of the big RAAL?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Speaking of sensitivity, how does a Sierra Summit stack up to a 2EX in that area? Would a Summit be capable of more volume due to the capabilty of the big RAAL?

Jay
    Read this post for the differences between RAALs
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...7453#post67453
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Smile Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Jay
    Jay,

Well in the Sierra2di, the EX woofer/mid was designed to keep up with the world-class Seas Diamond Tweeter's capabilities! IMO, I'd expect no less of the EX woofer in keeping up with the RAAL 70-20XRAM capabilities! Final Answer in Dave's Court!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Read this post for the differences between RAALs
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...7453#post67453
    "The 70-20 also has significantly higher power handling capabilities combined with much higher max SPL."

From that post is the above quote, which is why I'm wondering about the max SPL, and sensitivity of the speaker as a whole.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by RandomName View Post
    How much more pain would I be in for if I wanted satin white domestic cabs (like my sierra-2s) with magnets. Any chance it’s more viable since the cabinet gets modified anyway? Or is it all done post exterior finish?

I’ve been dying to get the magnet faced cabs for my bookshelves, but it’s soooo much more than just doing the 2EX upgrade… but if we are talking about swapping to better tweeters to match my towers and it already requires a cabinet mod… somehow it’s easier to sell in my head.

The sad part is I’d still totally upgrade my 2s to 2EX anyway, there would be sooo many different ways to set it up. I could use em as dedicated/b speakers for HT to be paired with subs and do towers just for music, though that’s wasteful, I could rotate one tweeter and try it as a center even if I hate that lopsided look. I could try em as wides. Just so many options.

I’ve also been contemplating lunas and/or duos for front/rear heights but can’t decide if that would make the room feel oppressing lol. (Every speaker would be maybe 8-10ft from me at best lol, well maybe the wides would make it to 12/14).

But figuring out the next upgrade for my Sierra-2s (and adding Luna LCR center) are at the top of my “critical HT upgrades” list.

I wonder if shipping will ever go back down >_<. I could be way off on the pricing, but in my head I almost feel like you could fly them here to Seattle for less than shipping them these days lolol.
    Please contact us via email to discuss this, thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Jay
    For nearly all speakers, sensitivity will be determined by the woofer. Tweeters are inherently higher efficiency transducers compared to a woofer. With that in mind, a Summit would have the same sensitivity rating as the S2 EX.

As far as max SPL, there are many variables to this. If running the speakers crossed at 80Hz, the Summit would be capable of considerably higher SPL's. If running full range, it then all depends on the source material as the excursion of the EX woofer would then be the primary factor.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    For nearly all speakers, sensitivity will be determined by the woofer. Tweeters are inherently higher efficiency transducers compared to a woofer. With that in mind, a Summit would have the same sensitivity rating as the S2 EX.

As far as max SPL, there are many variables to this. If running the speakers crossed at 80Hz, the Summit would be capable of considerably higher SPL's. If running full range, it then all depends on the source material as the excursion of the EX woofer would then be the primary factor.
    Dave, aside from the ability to play louder given an 80hz, etc. crossover, what sonic qualities at sane listening levels set the 70-20 apart from the 64-10? You mentioned the lower crossover to allow some of the midrange to be handled by the 70-20, and the slight drop off in off axis response vs the 64-10 that can seem bright. In your listening experience what really strikes you and says "Hey, I'm the 70-20, not my little bro!"?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Exclamation Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Dave, aside from the ability to play louder given an 80hz, etc. crossover, what sonic qualities at sane listening levels set the 70-20 apart from the 64-10? You mentioned the lower crossover to allow some of the midrange to be handled by the 70-20, and the slight drop off in off axis response vs the 64-10 that can seem bright. In your listening experience what really strikes you and says "Hey, I'm the 70-20, not my little bro!"?
    Good question Ed! I'm also curious, as I really feel I'm Missing NOTHING in my current Sierra-2EX 2.1 dedicated music room system (HP & LP set at 50Hz)!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Good question Ed! I'm also curious, as I really feel I'm Missing NOTHING in my current Sierra-2EX 2.1 dedicated music room system (HP & LP set at 50Hz)!

Ted
    Ted, my questions are mostly an attempt at justifying me spending that kind of money to chase the golden ring, and if it would be a good return on my investment. I also ask some of these questions just so the info is available to anyone who is also contemplating this upgrade. I hope I don't make Dave nuts by asking some of these, which I'm sure seem redundant at times, but this is a substantial pill to swallow financially...... at least for some of us!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Thumbs up Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Ted, my questions are mostly an attempt at justifying me spending that kind of money to chase the golden ring, and if it would be a good return on my investment. I also ask some of these questions just so the info is available to anyone who is also contemplating this upgrade. I hope I don't make Dave nuts by asking some of these, which I'm sure seem redundant at times, but this is a substantial pill to swallow financially...... at least for some of us!
    I hear you Ed, and understand...we're paddling the same canoe!

Because of my stereo 2.1 (not home theater) music listening habits (80-85db continuous), genre of musical taste (99% acoustical) and 2EX high passed at 50Hz and up (allows extra amp headroom), I'm nor sure I'd hear the benefits of mating the EX w/the 70-20XRAM in my setup!?!

For those who have the need, I've no doubt that the 70-20XRAM would get very close to the 2di diamond tweeter in output, agility and dynamics...but at a greatly reduced investment cost!!

Ted