Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    RAAL prices continue to rise (like everything else) and shipping costs are crazy right now. Looking at the numbers and assuming we keep to our absurdly low profit margins, we would be looking at somewhere between $2800 - 3K per pair.
    Would this outperform the Sierra towers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter in any areas? Or would this bookshelf speaker be for those that want a bit more performance than the Sierra 2EX, but still need the form factor of a bookshelf speaker?

Exclamation Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

The Salk Silk (stock 70-20xr + 5 1/2" Scan Illuminator woofer) is now retailing for $3900 /pair. Our version would use our custom 70-20xram (am = amorphous core transformer, quite a bit more expensive) + Our 6" EX woofer which is basically the direct competitor and very similar pricing to the Scan Illuminator series) + our bamboo cabinet vs MDF+Veneer cabinet. Price I quoted for our version of this speaker is still quite a bargain
    Absolutely Dave! Having heard, owned and experienced the last 3 Sierra iterations these past 10 years, I've no doubt it (a Sierra-3EX ?) would be as you stated in post #21, [...indeed an "end game" bookshelf speaker]!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

The Salk Silk (stock 70-20xr + 5 1/2" Scan Illuminator woofer) is now retailing for $3900 /pair. Our version would use our custom 70-20xram (am = amorphous core transformer, quite a bit more expensive) + Our 6" EX woofer which is basically the direct competitor and very similar pricing to the Scan Illuminator series) + our bamboo cabinet vs MDF+Veneer cabinet. Price I quoted for our version of this speaker is still quite a bargain
    Yeah even at $2800-$3000 I think there would still be interest. I imagine it would favor well against something like the Revel M126BE which retails for $4400/pair.

Quote Originally Posted by RMW View Post
    Yeah even at $2800-$3000 I think there would still be interest. I imagine it would favor well against something like the Revel M126BE which retails for $4400/pair.
    I am confident it would outperform the M126BE in many aspects. There is one problem I need to find a solution to in order to offer this as a standard product. With our current cabinets and with the massive size of the 70-20, it doesn't fit into the cutout without hitting the port tube, which requires us to make modifications. For a standard product, modifications like this become problematic. I am going to add this to my ToDo list....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Would this outperform the Sierra towers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter in any areas? Or would this bookshelf speaker be for those that want a bit more performance than the Sierra 2EX, but still need the form factor of a bookshelf speaker?
    From a technical standpoint, no. However, there are many consumers who prefer the much smaller size and coherency of a 2-way bookshelf speaker.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

No doubt Dave, was just comparing them to the towers if someone were on the fence due to cost. I have no doubt they would compare favorably to the Silk and other offerings in that price range as far as monitor speakers go.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    (and around 63% less than the Sierra-2di)!!!

Ted
    I have had our Klippel NFS working overtime for a while now on evaluating the SEAS Diamond Tweeter to try and determine what give it such a unique and transparent sound....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thumbs up Re: Sierra-2EX to Sierra Diamond conversion?

I have had our Klippel NFS working overtime for a while now on evaluating the SEAS Diamond Tweeter to try and determine what give it such a unique and transparent sound....
    Hope the Klippel NFS measurements can validate criteria that would pinpoint "why" the diamond sounds so good!!
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I am confident it would outperform the M126BE in many aspects. There is one problem I need to find a solution to in order to offer this as a standard product. With our current cabinets and with the massive size of the 70-20, it doesn't fit into the cutout without hitting the port tube, which requires us to make modifications. For a standard product, modifications like this become problematic. I am going to add this to my ToDo list....
    Along with the design considerations, if this becomes a product that becomes an official offering, it's going to need a name. Time for a name the new speaker thread, maybe something like a Sierra-2 Summit?

Jay

It does have a nice ring to it: "Ascend to the (Sierra-2) Summit" 😁