Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Sierra Towers with EX woofer

Question Question: Sierra Towers with EX woofer

My apologies if this question has been asked before.

I recently upgraded my Sierra 1 speakers to the Sierra-2EX. As expected, the improvement in the mids is substantial.

Now I’ve been looking at the Sierra Tower speakers. These contain a better ribbon speaker than the Sierra-2EXs. But the mids appear to be the same as those found in the Sierra 1. Why don’t they use the better performing mids from the 2EX? Are there any plans to upgrade the towers to use the 2EX mids?

Default Re: Question: Sierra Towers with EX woofer

I don't recall seeing any posts regarding using the S2EX woofer for the Tower Woofers (of which there are two). Dave would need to confirm whether the S1 woofer is the same as the Tower woofers - descriptions are very similar, if not identical. The S1, S2 and S2EX are two way whereas the Towers are 3 way with a dedicated midrange woofer. The Tower cabinets would need to be redesigned, I think, to accomodate the S2/S2EX woofer due to the size difference.

I know Dave has covered this somewhere, just don't know where........

Since the tower has a dedicated mid driver, it is optimized for the mid-range without needing to try covering the lower frequencies, so it uses a lighter cone than the EX. This gives the advantage to the tower mid. The woofers in the tower, though they LOOK identical to the Sierra-1 woofer, are not the same at all. They are actually 2 different woofers in the tower itself (Dave...correct me if I'm wrong), but neither one is the same as what's in the Sierra-1. Also, the larger RAAL in the tower allows it to be crossed lower than the smaller RAAL used in the Sierra-2 & EX.

Remember, the EX woofer was developed by SEAS for Dave to use with the very expensive SEAS White Diamond tweeter (@$6K for a pair).
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I know Dave has covered this somewhere, just don't know where........

Since the tower has a dedicated mid driver, it is optimized for the mid-range without needing to try covering the lower frequencies, so it uses a lighter cone than the EX. This gives the advantage to the tower mid. The woofers in the tower, though they LOOK identical to the Sierra-1 woofer, are not the same at all. They are actually 2 different woofers in the tower itself (Dave...correct me if I'm wrong), but neither one is the same as what's in the Sierra-1. Also, the larger RAAL in the tower allows it to be crossed lower than the smaller RAAL used in the Sierra-2 & EX.

Remember, the EX woofer was developed by SEAS for Dave to use with the very expensive SEAS White Diamond tweeter (@$6K for a pair).
    I'll have to go the the Tower development thread to confirm, but I don't remember the woofers in the Towers having different specs (from one another). But since they are only covering the frequencies below the mids, they were specifically designed for that purpose.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 10-07-2021 at 07:23 AM.

(2) Proprietary 5.25” long throw mineral-filled polypropylene cone woofers. Features non-resonant cast aluminum frame, copper shorting rings, low-inductance motor assembly, vented pole-piece and vented spider.

Above is the description of the woofer on the Tower specifications page.

As far as the EX woofer in a Tower, since it is designed for a broader frequency range, it would not be appropriate for that application. I do wonder though if a woofer with the larger 6" cone and the more powerful motor structure similar to the EX could be customized for even better low frequency performance.

The EX woofers are expensive, I would think that the upgrade (if possible) which would require the two woofers, and likely a crossover would come at a hefty cost. Considering the ability of the EX woofers, I believe it would be possible to design an application specific woofer that digs deeper than the current 5-1/4" speakers, not sure they would be much more dynamic, the Towers already are excellent in that regard.

As well as the Towers/Horizon already perform, and especially if a sub is used in the system, I don't see a good value (cost/performance ratio) as a result of such an upgrade.

Hopefully Dave might respond with some insight here, I'm just thinking aloud.

Jay

The midrange driver used for the towers is completely different from the one used in the S1, but the bass drivers do look very similar. I do remember reading something in the tower thread to the effect that they aren't same tho.

Also remember seeing something about the tower mid being made by Tang Band, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    The midrange driver used for the towers is completely different from the one used in the S1, but the bass drivers do look very similar. I do remember reading something in the tower thread to the effect that they aren't same tho.

Also remember seeing something about the tower mid being made by Tang Band, iirc.
    While the bass drivers (Tower/S1) look similar, they are different. That I know for sure.

The mid in the Tower, not sure, but I think it is a collaboration of parts from different manufacturers, and then final assembly at one of them. The woofs in the S2 and EX are made by SEAS.
    Last edited by curtis; 10-07-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by bluepara View Post
    My apologies if this question has been asked before.

I recently upgraded my Sierra 1 speakers to the Sierra-2EX. As expected, the improvement in the mids is substantial.

Now I’ve been looking at the Sierra Tower speakers. These contain a better ribbon speaker than the Sierra-2EXs. But the mids appear to be the same as those found in the Sierra 1. Why don’t they use the better performing mids from the 2EX? Are there any plans to upgrade the towers to use the 2EX mids?
    Pleased to hear that you are enjoying the Sierra-2EX!

The midrange driver in our tower is a highly specialized custom midrange. This is not used in the Sierra-1, or any other speaker in our lineup besides our Horizon center.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    The Tower cabinets would need to be redesigned, I think, to accomodate the S2/S2EX woofer due to the size difference.
    That was actually part of the magic Dave performed when he designed the S2, those 6" drivers were physically direct replacements for the 5.25" drivers found in the S1s. This was done to be able to use the same cabinets for either configuration. Likewise, the custom RAAL driver and custom faceplate were designed to be interchangeable with the S1 tweets.

If you buy the S1 to S2 or S-2EX, upgrades you get the drivers and crossovers and no cabinet alterations are required. Never tried it, but I'm relatively certain both the 5.25", and 6" bookshelf drivers would slide right in a Tower woofer hole. And ya really want to be careful about what you're sliding into woofer holes, those S-2EX (AKA SEX) drivers are quite naughty!

Jay

Just to clarify,

The bass drivers in the towers use the same cone, surround, and cast basket as the bass driver in the Sierra-1 - that is why they look the same.

However, the magnet system, voice coil and spider are very different.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com