Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for compact receiver on a desk setup with lunas

Question Recommendation for compact receiver on a desk setup with lunas

I have a pair of Luna speakers still boxed from a recent move. I would like to put them on my desk for a simple 2.0 setup. I have an older Orb Audio subwoofer, but will probably not use it. Not interested in over-the-air radio. Will be used mostly for MP3/flac. Internet radio would be a plus.

Recommendations for a compact receiver drive these 2 lunas?

Default Re: Recommendation for compact receiver on a desk setup with lunas

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post
    I have a pair of Luna speakers still boxed from a recent move. I would like to put them on my desk for a simple 2.0 setup. I have an older Orb Audio subwoofer, but will probably not use it. Not interested in over-the-air radio. Will be used mostly for MP3/flac. Internet radio would be a plus.

Recommendations for a compact receiver drive these 2 lunas?
    I have had a good experience with this slimline model:

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Audio...dp/B01LWPQFFF/
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

thx, this is definitely in the neighborhood of what I was looking for.

It's funny, but I got an email stating that choirbass had responded to this thread, but I don't see it here. This is what choirbass recommeded: "For 2 channel stereo I wouldn't go other than an external DAC. The RME ADI 2 DAC on Amazon is a pretty good choice. Its smaller than most if not all AV Receivers. It's cost is $1049."

I did spend some time looking at DACs and compact amps with integrated DACs. Anyone have any experience with the Bluesound Powernode?

Since you didn't mention a preferred budget, not sure this equipment will interest you, but this manufacturer was mentioned in another thread. I started reading about the design philosophies/techniques used, and this stuff looks really good to me although I don't currently own any of their gear.

https://www.cherryamp.com/

I have also been considering a Bluesound Node, the newest model looks to have a very high performance to price ratio, and the Cherry site actually carries it as a source device.

Jay

Here's another candidate to chew on:
    https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-...ated-amplifier
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I'm using the 1710 because of its slim compact design...to drive all my speakers with no sweat. Perhaps look into the 15xx series> I like the Heos app...for music playback plus all the extra features of a surround receiver.

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/produc...ceivers/nr1510
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Thanks folks for some great ideas. Here are my thoughts about your suggestions:

petmotel - Loved the cherryamp website, but their prices are little rich for my blood. Trying to keep this project sub-$1000 as this is for casual music while working in my home office.
    davef - the pioneer this is in my top 2 list. A few bitter complaints about bluetooth streaming out there, but this would be a clean easy solution.
    mag_neato - Emotiva has preamp, DAC and bluetooth - check, check, check. This one looked pretty good, but no low pass filter? I know I said I wasn't going to use a sub, but I could change my mind.
    mag_neato - SVS Wireless Soundbase - lots of reviews liked the beefy power. a few mixed reviews on sound quality, great price point! Tempting. Requires the DTS fi-play app, but I am not familiar with it.
    billy p - My main receiver is a Marantz that has HEOS, so your suggestion for this slim unit is a good one for me. There is also a 2 channel model with HEOS, the NR1200 but it looks like it is out of stock right now.

I just ran across the Sonos Amp and I have a couple of Sopos Play3 speakers in other parts of the house. I could use a Sonos Amp to drive the two lunas, but I don't think they support any high res formats (other than their HD streaming service).

I know this is a lot of agita about a minor decision, but I want to do those lunas justice! I'll let you know what I end up with.

Loafer, the Emotiva does have low & high pass filters

rjkruk beat me to it. It's a fixed high and low filter at 90hz and should be fine. If you want more flexibility and can max the budget adding for shipping/tax, Outlaw Audio has a nice 2 channel receiver.