Thread: Just pulled the trigger...

Default Just pulled the trigger...

Well I couldn't wait for an answer to my demo request thread.

I just talked with Dave and ordered a pair of 340s with stands and an HSU VTF3 Mk II. I will be powering these with a Pioneer VSX-54TX receiver. I plan to give these a good workout over the next month. Once I'm thoroughly satisfied (probably very quickly), I will complete the setup with the 340 center channel and 340 surrounds on matching stands.

I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. Woohoo!!!

Wow....someone heading in the "go big on everything" direction!

Congrats and enjoy!
    -curtis

Congrats. It will be a nice set up.

Way to go, Jim. Post your impressions after you've had some time with the set-up. I've had my 340's for a few months and the smile still won't go away.

David

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Wow....someone heading in the "go big on everything" direction!

Congrats and enjoy!
    Yeah... I can't wait for UPS to deliver the goods. At least I'm on the west coast so delivery will be fairly quick. I was originally thinking of 170's front and rear with 340 center and VTF2. I'm sure that would be an excellent system in it's own right.

I have a fairly large room with vaulted ceiling, so I didn't want to wonder what a VTF3 would be like. $100 isn't a back breaker, so why not go for the lower extension and more output.

I wasn't willing to miss out on the 340 center, and a 340 LCR should be stunning, so why not go full tilt? I'm also starting to get into multichannel audio where 5 matched speakers can enhance the experience.

I don't generally get upgrade-itis with my hobbies. I like to do a good job the first time around to reduce/eliminate buyers remorse.

This is my first full scale HT setup. I've listened to Athena, Klipsch, B&W 600 series, Definitive Tech BP6/BP10, and Paradigm mini monitors. I liked the B&W and Paradigm the best out of those. Based on many testemonials, I hope the 340's will outdo them.
    Last edited by jimsiff; 02-10-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Jim - congrats!! Though I never did hear the B&W's, you can check out my 'review' of the Ascend speakers that I'll be posting shortly. I guarantee you won't be disappointed in them if you like an accurate speaker that is not fatiguing!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    I was originally thinking of 170's front and rear with 340 center and VTF2. I'm sure that would be an excellent system in it's own right.
    Damn straight it is.

Congrats on your purchase!! I have the VTF3-MKII with 340's across the front and 170's for surround duty in a 5.1 system. Since getting the Ascends, just for kicks I've made the rounds of all the high end shops in my town (all 3 or 4 of them) , but haven't found anything that competes with my system at anywhere near the price point. Sometime soon, I hope to order another pair of 340's and move the 170's to rear surround duty. Enjoy!!! I don't think you'll ever regret the Ascends.
    - EVH III