Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2EX Crossover Recommendation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Sierra-2EX Crossover Recommendation?

I have 5 Sierra-2EX speakers, 4 Sonance ceiling VP62R speakers, and 1 Rythmik L12 subwoofer in a 5.1.4 configuration, being driven by a Marantz SR-6015 receiver.

When I ran the Audyssey calibration, it considered the front speakers "Full", and the surround speakers "Small" with a crossover of 80. Auydyssey set the crossover for the Sonance ceiling VP62R speakers at 100.

For now, I changed all 5 of the Sierra-2EX speakers to "Small" with a crossover of 80, and left the Sonance VP62R crossover at 100.

The subwoofer is using LFE, and I left its LPF crossover at 100.

Recommendations for the crossover setting for the Sierra-2EX, Sonance VP62R speakers and the Rythmik L12 subwoofer?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX Crossover Recommendation?

I do not have the same speakers you have, but I do have the L12.

Be aware that when using the LFE input it is your pre/pro/AVR setting the xover frequency.

From the L12 quick guide:

"Line Level inputs

For sub output from HT receiver/processor, one can use either of the two (R+L) line level inputs with 12db LPF SLOPE switch setting, or just LFE IN. When using LFE IN, phase control and crossover control have no function."

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have the Marantz Sub 1 output physically connected to the LFE input connector on the subwoofer. Nothing is connected to the subwoofer's R+L connectors.

To clarify the original post, the LFE crossover setting of 100 is in the Marantz, and as you noted, in this configuration, the subwoofer's phase control and crossover control are ignored.

The motivation for the original post is:
    1. Any noticeable benefit to going lower than 80 for the crossover for the 5 Sierra-2EX speakers?
    2. Should I leave the Sonance ceiling speakers crossover at 100?
    3. Given the answers for 1 and 2, should I lower the configuration in the Marantz for the LFE subwoofer crossover from 100 or will it not make an appreciable difference?
    Thanks

In my opinion, I'd leave the S2EX at 80 hz and let the sub handle from there on down.
    You could try the Sonace at 80 as well and see if you can hear any difference.
    I'd leave the LFE in the Marantz at 100 or even try bumping it up to 110 or 120 to see if you hear a difference. LFE is for movies only and there can be some content up to 120 (although probably not much).

ok, I will try a couple of tests. You confirmed one of my thoughts which is to try the Sonance speakers at 80, even though their tweeters are nothing like the RAAL. These changes are pretty small, but I am always trying to optimize the experience! Thanks...

No worries. Let us know what you decide

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post
    I have 5 Sierra-2EX speakers, 4 Sonance ceiling VP62R speakers, and 1 Rythmik L12 subwoofer in a 5.1.4 configuration, being driven by a Marantz SR-6015 receiver.

When I ran the Audyssey calibration, it considered the front speakers "Full", and the surround speakers "Small" with a crossover of 80. Auydyssey set the crossover for the Sonance ceiling VP62R speakers at 100.

For now, I changed all 5 of the Sierra-2EX speakers to "Small" with a crossover of 80, and left the Sonance VP62R crossover at 100.

The subwoofer is using LFE, and I left its LPF crossover at 100.

Recommendations for the crossover setting for the Sierra-2EX, Sonance VP62R speakers and the Rythmik L12 subwoofer?
    Hi Loafer,

I recommend setting all the speakers to 80Hz. If you are finding you want a bit more midbass, then set the Sierra-2EX to 60Hz and the Sonance to 80Hz.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

ok, after running a bunch of tests changing crossovers on everything (more fun than weekend chores) I ended up with:

Sonance VP62R at 80
    Sierra-2EX at 60
    Subwoofer LFE at 100

I may change the Sierras back to 80, but I am going to run them at 60 for a few days.

Subwoofer LFE should be 120hz. That way you get all the LFE channel content in movies.

For speaker crossover, the best way is to take measurements. It’s not always about the speakers native capabilities and how low they can go. For example, due to speaker placement you may have SBIR that creates a huge dip in 80hz for your speaker response. You may be able to cover that up with your subs based on their placement so maybe you want to set the crossover higher to 100hz or something. But you won’t know unless you measure (or your ears are good enough to discern this).

Denon/Marantz receivers almost always set a lower crossover than I'd want to use, or none at all for some reason. I think it's because they don't wanna insult anyone by telling them their speakers are "small"...

By and large 80 hz is universally recommended (unless you have bass limited speakers or conversely very bass capable speakers) and I find that has worked for me through a few different sets of speakers. That's 80 hz under "crossovers", not under "bass - LPF for LFE". That setting is for .1 material in multi channel mixes and should be left at 120 hz.

Also I leave my subwoofer mode on LFE, not LFE + Main, FWIW. LFE + Main bypasses the high pass filter on your main speakers and defeats the crossover. Aka "double bass" by some manufacturers. Your sub still plays bass below the crossover point, along with your main speakers and can result in bloated or muddy bass. This is not to say you can't have good results using LFE + Main, but in general I don't recommend it unless you're a more advanced user.