Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sierra-2EX Crossover Recommendation?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX Crossover Recommendation?

DjDanny and Pogre - thanks for you inputs. I am definitely not using LFE + Main for exactly the reason you stated, aka the double bass. Just using LFE via Marantz configuration and via cable connection. I had the LFE crossover set at 100hz in the Marantz because I didn't think it was necessary for sub to operate higher as the surrounds were already operating below that. I wasn't thinking about the LFE channel itself. Now I get what racraford was talking about in an earlier post to this thread. Just made the config change in the Marantz to set the LFE crossover to 120.

djDanny - what do you use to take measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post
    I use a Umik-1 and REW. Really simple once you have it set up. If you feel your AVR set up the distances (delays) properly, you just run sweeps at each crossover and see which one gives you the smoothest frequency response. If you’re more adventurous, you can check to make sure the AVR calibration worked properly and gave you the best delays.

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post
    DjDanny and Pogre - thanks for you inputs. I am definitely not using LFE + Main for exactly the reason you stated, aka the double bass. Just using LFE via Marantz configuration and via cable connection. I had the LFE crossover set at 100hz in the Marantz because I didn't think it was necessary for sub to operate higher as the surrounds were already operating below that. I wasn't thinking about the LFE channel itself. Now I get what racraford was talking about in an earlier post to this thread. Just made the config change in the Marantz to set the LFE crossover to 120.

That LPF for LFE thing has confused so many people, myself included when I first started really rolling my sleeves up and getting into optimization. Like Danny, I use a Umik mic and REW to measure and tweak my fr. I have a MiniDSP 2x4 HD for my subs, but the editor app for Audyssey MultEQ XT32 can work just as well. If that app was out at the time I probably woulda skipped buying the Mini.