Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New amp choice for my Sierra 2ex

Default Re: New amp choice for my Sierra 2ex

Thanks for that. I will see how that can be done. If I don't have the resources I can at least spend time with each using a dB meter. That won't be instantaneous but I do know that levels can deceive you into thinking it sounds better.

I’m probably a bit late to a decision being made, but if possible cost permissible you can look into getting a pair of mono-block amps. You’ll have a high quality setup then.

I would say which brands you can look into, but I don’t know many other than the 2 Emotiva PA-1 amps I currently have.

So, the NAD got fried after approx 3 hours.... what the heck?!?!?!?!? (Details below.)

Thanks choirbass! Mono Blocks are certainly a great set up. My Nikko Alpha 120 was a dual mono in that it has two separate transformers inside. It is a really clean design but it'll be off to a repair shop in the next few weeks followed by a few moths backlog schedule.

I received both the NAD C 268 and the Parasound Halo A23+.

I set up the NAD first. We listened to program material from Netflix and it was a nice clean listening experience. I had my db meter on and it was hovering right around 67 db. The noise from my speakers were noticeably less than the Alpha. I attribute the remaining noise from the Nikko Beta 20. (I will stick with this pre amp for a while since it has a mc and mm phono pre amp.)

This morning we were having our coffee watching tv at a low volume. The NAD clicked off for what I at first perceived to be going into protection. I thought though....from WHAT?? I would imagine the db was more around 50 this morning. But then, after the amp turned off and the blue light turned red, there occurred VERY loud clicks from inside the amp. Then the smell!!! Something got fried! This was a refurbished amp from NAD. I guess they didn't refurbish it enough??

Ugh.

So I guess the choice between the NAD and the Parasound was taken away from me.

I'll be hooking up the Halo today.

I'm glad I was at least able to hear the NAD a little!

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    So, the NAD got fried after approx 3 hours.... what the heck?!?!?!?!? (Details below.)

This morning we were having our coffee watching tv at a low volume. The NAD clicked off for what I at first perceived to be going into protection. I thought though....from WHAT?? I would imagine the db was more around 50 this morning. But then, after the amp turned off and the blue light turned red, there occurred VERY loud clicks from inside the amp. Then the smell!!! Something got fried! This was a refurbished amp from NAD. I guess they didn't refurbish it enough??

Ugh.

So I guess the choice between the NAD and the Parasound was taken away from me.

I'll be hooking up the Halo today.

I'm glad I was at least able to hear the NAD a little!
    Yeah, my dad tried a refurbished NAD integrated amplifier and it lasted a few minutes before going up in smoke as well. The amp stage was toast. The company he bought it from gave him a full replacement, and that unit worked just fine. This was a few years ago…just the “luck” of the draw I suppose as I’m sure there are happy refurb owners out there.

I had an earlier generation Parasound Halo A23 a few years ago and I thought it worked well and sounded great. They were also very responsive and had great customer service on some integration questions (ground loop prevention, etc for my house and media room). The only reason I sold it was to move to more of a multichannel amp setup using a now discontinued Anthem PVA 5 series.

Good luck on your audio journey!
    Last edited by Robert; 09-03-2021 at 05:27 AM.

Yes, hit or miss. NaD great design but iffy QC.

Nice to know you had decent experience with the earlier 23. Thanks!

I'm now messing with the left and right gain settings on the Parasound. I'm thinking I should set it high for my unbalanced RCA interconnects.

New gear is fun!

Just to update my journey....and share a positive regarding Safe and Sound Audio. I settled on the Halo 23+ but allas, I had the silver. It looks nice but everything else I have is black. I went back to Safe and Sound's site and saw a black open box 23+. I decided to call and ask if I could exchange my silver for the black. They said yes and sent an additional prepaid label. So now I have the black version and it's not going anywhere. They are a pleasure to work with and would not hesitate to but from them again.

I also bought another open box demo item; The Parasound ZPRE3. They're out of stock everywhere with a January 2022 expectation date. I snagged one off of Audio Advisor and it'll be at my door this week sometime.

It will be a nice change to have more modern equipment with a dedicated remote. I've been using an attenuator devise with its remote between my Modi DAC and the tape input of the Nikko pre but it that requires the pre amp volume be pushed up towards 2:00 o'clock (Which is LOUD). The device attenuates DOWN with the remote. (it's really not a true volume control.....great substitute for vintage gear if you want to control volume from the couch!) BUT.....If you ever use one of these devises, watch out! If you select another component other than the tape input and forget to turn down the preamp volume you will know it!

Next, I will be buying a Moon 110LP v2 phono stage.
    Last edited by rifmon; 09-20-2021 at 04:35 AM.