Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speakers for People with Tinnitus

Exclamation Re: Speakers for People with Tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Yes, definitely! I've given that some thought on the Lunas and may pull my Lunas used as surrounds in for a temporary demo at his place. He likes bass and the Lunas may not satisfy him enough due to their size and bass output capabilities. His seating distance is about 8ft away in that 10'x10'x9' room. He is warm & cold on subwoofers, which would be an area to tread carefully. He finds subwoofers inconsistent when it comes to performance. A few of the subwoofers he has tried were not placed in the best spot along with no assistance from any room correction. He comes from an audio era where subwoofers just weren't a thing.
    Hi Robert,

After reading your situation, believe I parallel your dad's musical taste, listening environment and hearing issues. I have a dedicated 2-channel listening room that is 9'W x 10'L x 11'H. Although I compliment the Sierra-2EX with a sub (love pipe organ), these 2EX monitors' bass dig real deep (around 32Hz in my room response) and could easily satisfy my symphonic, choral, instrumental, jazz and ensemble acoustical (non-amplified) music by themselves!! As per my post #18 above, their treble presentation is extremely smooth, accurate, precise and detailed (like the RAAL Towers), with a laid back, not-in-your-face crystal clear and naturalistic tonality...just what the audio doctor ordered to sooth my tinnitus!

Not to be left alone in desperation, the midrange bandwidth is what Really Shines in the 2EX. Vocals, strings, keyboard and any well recorded genre come alive with vibrancy, clarity, warmth and realism. Overall soundstage presentation (imaging, depth, height, width) is Huge and once setup placement in a room is dialed in, the 2EX totally disappear. Those who have heard both state that the 2EX are close to the balance and accuracy of the RAAL Towers!!

No doubt the Lunas are a very fine and compact stand monitor, but IME to match the Sierra-2EX sonic virtues, you'd have to spend at least 3-4X their price in the retail speaker market!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: Speakers for People with Tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Hi Robert,

After reading your situation, believe I parallel your dad's musical taste, listening environment and hearing issues. I have a dedicated 2-channel listening room that is 9'W x 10'L x 11'H. Although I compliment the Sierra-2EX with a sub (love pipe organ), these 2EX monitors' bass dig real deep (around 32Hz in my room response) and could easily satisfy my symphonic, choral, instrumental, jazz and ensemble acoustical (non-amplified) music by themselves!! As per my post #18 above, their treble presentation is extremely smooth, accurate, precise and detailed (like the RAAL Towers), with a laid back, not-in-your-face crystal clear and naturalistic tonality...just what the audio doctor ordered to sooth my tinnitus!

Not to be left alone in desperation, the midrange bandwidth is what Really Shines in the 2EX. Vocals, strings, keyboard and any well recorded genre come alive with vibrancy, clarity, warmth and realism. Overall soundstage presentation (imaging, depth, height, width) is Huge and once setup placement in a room is dialed in, the 2EX totally disappear. Those who have heard both state that the 2EX are close to the balance and accuracy of the RAAL Towers!!

No doubt the Lunas are a very fine and compact stand monitor, but IME to match the Sierra-2EX sonic virtues, you'd have to spend at least 3-4X their price in the retail speaker market!

Ted
    Hi Ted,

Glad you enjoy your setup! I agree with your above comments. It sounds similar to your situation. My dad is open to change.....he is liking the Node 2 I handed down to him when I moved to the NODE (latest after the Bluesound 2i, but they decided to go back to Node).

I also really think a good subwoofer integration would do well for him. We'll give the Lunas a go first as I have them in my setup. I'll probably just buy a subwoofer for him as a gift to try out. I believe I may have already mentioned that my dad can be a bit fickle.
    Last edited by Robert; 09-09-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: Speakers for People with Tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Yes, definitely! I've given that some thought on the Lunas and may pull my Lunas used as surrounds in for a temporary demo at his place. He likes bass and the Lunas may not satisfy him enough due to their size and bass output capabilities. His seating distance is about 8ft away in that 10'x10'x9' room. He is warm & cold on subwoofers, which would be an area to tread carefully. He finds subwoofers inconsistent when it comes to performance. A few of the subwoofers he has tried were not placed in the best spot along with no assistance from any room correction. He comes from an audio era where subwoofers just weren't a thing.
    A pair of L12’s would be perfect in that room. It has only been a year since I upgraded from a single Outlaw subwoofer to a pair of Rythmik subwoofers. It was a huge upgrade going from Outlaw to Rythmik, but half of that performance upgrade is most likely due to having two subwoofers properly placed across the room from each other. I moved my Outlaw subwoofer to the living room setup (the Rythmiks are in my theater room area) and the bass aggregates me. It is not smooth and even like in the theater room. I’m already planning to make sure I get a pair of subwoofers in the more casual living room setup too. Once you experience the difference it is pretty night and day.