Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Can you Bi amp the 340's ?

I think Dave already covered this nicely here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...9&postcount=12

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    Dave,
    Since I have been following this, there has been a lot of questions, heat, confusion, all after suggesting to leave them be. Can you tell us what the % difference would be if one were to bi-wire/bi-amp/bi-whatever your speakers? Is there a big or noticable difference that would warrent the extra work and potential to damage or mess up the speakers? Not that I don't appreciate squeezing the best from what you have, but is all of this work and time and tweeking worth that effort? If it is a 25% or better difference, I will do it myself but I hate to see these guys going through this if it isn't going to produce a quantitative result that is more statistical than "might can tell a difference."
    Sorry audible, you are asking me a question which is impossible for me to answer. It is not possible to quantify any form of "percentage of performance increase" when it comes to sound quality. From a technical standpoint, it has been proven under ideal circumstances that bi-wiring can reduce intermodulation distortion. There is no way to prove that a reduction in intermodulation distortion is even audible.

The only person who can answer the questions you ask is you... We have customers who have heard a definite improvement with bi-wiring, others who have not.

Why don't you give it a try and post your results?

Remember that bi-wire and passive bi-amping are not the same thing and technically should not even be part of the same discussion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Maybe not...

Dave, I don't have the expertise to do this so I don't want to try. They sound plenty good now with two simple banana plugs going in them from my L & R spkr out so I will leave them alone. If you are willing to offer your help on the phone, I will give it a try and let you know my opinion but I don't see the point in messing with something that is pretty damn good now. If I can better benefit my sound and experience by doing so, then yes... I would be willing to give it a go b/c I love my music and the best sound is what we are striving for and why we have your speakers at our desired budget!

Hi Audible,

I only mentioned trying it because you seemed very curious about it. Depending on the cable you are using, bi-wiring can be quite simple. I would say don't even bother at this point. Just enjoy
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just to clarify...

If I take the outputs of my left/right channels, split them and run them through 2 channels each in a 5-channel amp, then remove the jumper on the back of the 340 mains and send one channel of the amp to each binding post pair, will that work? And is that bi-wiring? Does that still use the 340SEs' internal xos?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbri
    Just to clarify...

If I take the outputs of my left/right channels, split them and run them through 2 channels each in a 5-channel amp, then remove the jumper on the back of the 340 mains and send one channel of the amp to each binding post pair, will that work? And is that bi-wiring? Does that still use the 340SEs' internal xos?
    No, it's not 'bi-wiring' - that would be running two sets of cables to the same amp output, removing the jumpers and hooking them to the speakers.

Yes, it still uses the internal crossover components. The only way to avoid that is to remove the crossovers and then replicate the functionality between the pre-amp and amp (sometimes called 'active bi-amping'). Something that should only be attempted if you REALLY know what you're doing.

BTW: here's another decent write-up about bi-wiring on the Axiom site: http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_biwir..._biamping.html

DaveF: How about having a similar type of 'tips' or commentary section on the Ascend site for common questions like biwire/biamp, sub integration, room treatments, etc? The Axiom site has a good collection of topics, but lacks good meat on many areas. The AV123 forum has some good stuff under their 'Rocket science' area - much of it submitted by customers.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    No, it's not 'bi-wiring' - that would be running two sets of cables to the same amp output, removing the jumpers and hooking them to the speakers.

Yes, it still uses the internal crossover components. The only way to avoid that is to remove the crossovers and then replicate the functionality between the pre-amp and amp (sometimes called 'active bi-amping'). Something that should only be attempted if you REALLY know what you're doing.

BTW: here's another decent write-up about bi-wiring on the Axiom site: http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_biwir..._biamping.html

DaveF: How about having a similar type of 'tips' or commentary section on the Ascend site for common questions like biwire/biamp, sub integration, room treatments, etc? The Axiom site has a good collection of topics, but lacks good meat on many areas. The AV123 forum has some good stuff under their 'Rocket science' area - much of it submitted by customers.

Thanks, BradJudy.

So is running 340SEs with two separate amp channels "okay", regardless of perceived performance increases (although more power should equal more headroom)?

I agree about the FAQ. Even Fluance has a FAQ like that for bi-wire/bi-amp (I researched and found Fluance for my father, who now has them in his HT room).