Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can you Bi amp the 340's ?

Interesting.

The specs do not call out any power/wattage differences when the dual amp function is engaged.

For me, I think I would want the same power whether I was listening to multi-channel or stereo.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    XR55 can dual amp but only in stereo mode I believe.
    Correct.

David

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Interesting.

The specs do not call out any power/wattage differences when the dual amp function is engaged.

For me, I think I would want the same power whether I was listening to multi-channel or stereo.
    For HT, wouldn't doubling up the power to 340 mains be a good thing? My system will be a 5.1 system with 340s across the front and 200s in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Do you have any technical documentation on the XR57?

The documentation for the XR55 and XR70 specifically say "biwire".
    That's not correct for the 55. Dual amp, bi-amp or both with the 55.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    For HT, wouldn't doubling up the power to 340 mains be a good thing? My system will be a 5.1 system with 340s across the front and 200s in the back.
    But it says the dual amp function only works in stereo mode.......that is only two channels. HT is multi-channel.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    That's not correct for the 55. Dual amp, bi-amp or both with the 55.

David
    OK...I must of missed it. Do you notice a difference?
    -curtis

Nevermind....I see you can dual amp in 5.1 with the 57.
    -curtis

Default hmm

I have a pioneer 1016, The manual shows both bi wire and bi amping features. Has anyone in here "bi- amped using the extra unused amp when running a 5.1 setup? From what Ive seen so far, it seems like there is no big difference. I kind of expected there would be a big difference considering the power increase. I'll probably try it either way. If anyone has done this with a similar receiver id love to hear about it. My ascend setup is on its way i cant wait!

since this topic got resurrected, i'll throw this out there, too:

on my yamaha rxv-2400 receiver, it has terminals for two sets of main speakers (A and B). in the manual (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Docu...m_rx-v2400.pdf on page 14), it talks about bi-wiring your speakers using the speaker A terminals for the tweeter and the speaker B terminals for the woofer. i asked davef about this a little while ago before i got my 340 mains because i was interested in the subject, and he said that bi-wiring is normally done using one pair of speaker posts with two sets of wires.

do you think that there would be an advantage to separating the cables to the SPEAKERS A and SPEAKERS B like the manual shows as opposed to just using one of them to bi-wire the speakers (which is how dave said it is done). to me it seems if you used separate terminals it may receive more power. any thoughts?
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Default Ok, question to Dave...

Dave,

Since I have been following this, there has been a lot of questions, heat, confusion, all after suggesting to leave them be. Can you tell us what the % difference would be if one were to bi-wire/bi-amp/bi-whatever your speakers? Is there a big or noticable difference that would warrent the extra work and potential to damage or mess up the speakers? Not that I don't appreciate squeezing the best from what you have, but is all of this work and time and tweeking worth that effort? If it is a 25% or better difference, I will do it myself but I hate to see these guys going through this if it isn't going to produce a quantitative result that is more statistical than "might can tell a difference."

I speak to you and all the others here that are with this thread with respect!