Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can you Bi amp the 340's ?

Wink

That's exactly what I did with my 1014tx....including step #5!

Did you manage to convince yourself?
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Did you manage to convince yourself?
    I'm still working on that.
    If nothing else, vocals seem to be a little cleaner at higher volumes.

The XR57 is supposed to be able to dual-amp the mains when in 5.1 mode.

How is this actually accomplished? Do you actually have to wire the surround channels that aren't being used to the mains or does the receiver internally route the power to the mains to give 200wpc to the mains?

I was thinking that the receiver would route 200wpc to the mains and 100wpc to the center and rears automatically without needing to additionally wire from the surround channels that aren't being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    The XR57 is supposed to be able to dual-amp the mains when in 5.1 mode.

How is this actually accomplished? Do you actually have to wire the surround channels that aren't being used to the mains or does the receiver internally route the power to the mains to give 200wpc to the mains?

I was thinking that the receiver would route 200wpc to the mains and 100wpc to the center and rears automatically without needing to additionally wire from the surround channels that aren't being used.
    Yes, you wire the unused surround channels to the mains, so you would have one amp output driving the woofers and another amp output driving the tweeter. Just like dae3dae3 described in his post above.
    -curtis

I thought that the XR57 will allow dual amping to a single set of binding posts.

There is a difference between dual amping and bi amping for the XR57, right?

The manual says:

"The advanced dual amp function activates automatically when you use 2-channel stereo playback or 5.1-channel playback. The unit takes advantage of the unused surround back speaker amplifier, and runs one speaker with two amplifiers when this function is on. Advanced dual amplifier offers you sounds that are clearer and higher in audio quality than those available in normal playback."

Sounds to me like you don't need to wire the unused channels to the mains?
    Last edited by Grayson73; 04-12-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Do you have any technical documentation on the XR57?

The documentation for the XR55 and XR70 specifically say "biwire".
    -curtis

I thought that the XR57 will allow dual amping to a single set of binding posts.

The manual says:

"The advanced dual amp function activates automatically when you use 2-channel stereo playback or 5.1-channel playback. The unit takes advantage of the unused surround back speaker amplifier, and runs one speaker with two amplifiers when this function is on. Advanced dual amplifier offers you sounds that are clearer and higher in audio quality than those available in normal playback."

Yeah...that sounds like something different from bi-amping. Sounds like some marketing speak as well.
    -curtis

The manual says:

Bi-amping is only possible if your speakers have two sets of binding posts connected with jumpers. You would remove the jumpers and hook up one set of wires to each set of posts, bypassing the internal crossover in the speaker.

You cannot hook up two amps to one set of posts to gain amp power or something bad is gonna happen in the world of electricty!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Do you have any technical documentation on the XR57?

The documentation for the XR55 and XR70 specifically say "biwire".
    http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR57.PDF

There is definitely a difference between dual amp and bi amp for the XR57 because the manual references both.

XR55 can dual amp but only in stereo mode I believe.