Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can you Bi amp the 340's ?

Default Can you Bi amp the 340's ?

I noticed in the features list of the 340, you could "bi wire"
    I have done this before on other speakers and understand what "bi wire" means. But could you "bi amp" these speakers. Was looking a a good deal on a couple of Parasound 855 amps and I just started thinking that these would be a couple of good lower power ( 80 w/ch ) amps to bi amp a home theater set up. I also understand that bi amping for rear surround would be over kill and the advantages if any would be limited to the front and center speakers. Just a thought. Thanks

You can bi-amp the 340's but proper bi-amping is a complicated affair. Have you explored all the issues involved?

David

Excuse my ignorance, but what's complicated about bi-amping? I thought that if the speakers had two sets of binding posts that were setup for bi-wire/bi-amp, and you had a receiver/amp capable of bi-amping, you were set. Is it not that simple?

My dad bi-amps his Maggies, and it is a bit more complicated than bi-wiring.

He has an external crossover, using an Audio Research tube amp for the mids on up, and a solid state amp from ex-mfr. Leach, for the bass. Sounds incredible. He controls everything through an Audio Research tube pre.

For HT duty, he has an Adcom Pro-logic add-on processor w/3 100w amps he runs through a monitor loop. No DD/dts.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

If you're doing it from one componet it is easy. It is when you use two different amps/receivers it gets tricky.

As far as complications, I assumed that if you could bi amp then all you would have to do is use Y- adapters on the preouts of the preamp and then run interconnects to the inputs of the amp and then run speaker cable to each terminal on the speaker after you removed the jumper bars on the speakers. Am I thinking clearly ?

"Am I thinking clearly ?"

It's not a matter of thinking clearly. It's a matter of understanding bi-amping and how it can provide benefit. It appears Mag Neato's dad understands how to properly utilize bi-amping. One thing I would do before I bi-amped anyone's speakers is to talk to the company and get their imput.
    If you would like to read about bi-amping, do a search on any of the major audio sites. This topic has been talked to death a number of times.

David

Thank You all mighty Bikeman, maybe you can can come down from the mountain top someday and school everyone on biamping from your vast understanding of the subject.
    I have biamped speakers before in a couple of home and car audio applications with different results for each set up. Sometimes I have switched back to single amp set up sometimes I have not. I dont need to be talked down to by a forum jerk. You are right about one thing though I will just call Ascend and talk to them. I guess I should have done that in the first place. Thanks for the input from eveyone else though.

I don't do bi-amping myself, so I can't talk from experience, but I think what people are alluding to is the argument that bi-amping is only productive if you place the crossover before the amps which can't be done with most speakers. Placing the crossover before the amps means that each amp is only amplifying the appropriate frequencies. The inability to bypass the internal crossover is why most companies only say their speakers are appropriate for bi-wiring, not bi-amping.

In the extreme situation (NOT the situation with Ascend or any reputable products I know of), someone dissected some 'white van' speaker with dual binding posts only to find that the binding posts were connected on the inside. If someone had tried to bi-amp these speakers, they would have likely damaged their amps.

"Thank You all mighty Bikeman, maybe you can can come down from the mountain top someday and school everyone on biamping from your vast understanding of the subject. "

I'm sorry you took it this way. You gave no imput as to your knowledge of the subject so I tried to steer you in the right direction by advocating reading. I do that a lot being in the reading business. I don't believe recommending reading when a simple question is asked is talking down to someone. YMMV.

David