Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Source setup for new Towers

Default Re: Source setup for new Towers

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    My two cents - the server end shouldn't have any sound quality differences unless it is doing some sort of DSP.
    This is a complex topic, and this may not be a good place for further or detailed discussion. I will just share my experience from the past few years building servers in different configurations, experiment with different components and operating systems, music players, the music server, in a revealing 2 channel stereo system, does effects the sound quality quite a bit, but since there are many factors involved, there is no easy way to clearly define what will or will not work in a different system. If there is interest, perhaps this can be a different topic in an another thread.

In my case, I am very much looking forward to have the speakers delivered some time in September, so I can start working on having everything setup and play both music and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I have recently incorporated an external DAC into my system, and it did, to my surprise, made a noticeable difference to my 2-channel listening, especially considering my configuration.

That said, for movies, I will take the surround experience over stereo.
    Plus 1 for movies in surround.

As to 2 channel, I added a dedicated preamp (Rogue RP5) a few months ago and it was a great upgrade - that said, my music listening is primarily vinyl so do try avoiding any digitization (I do have a SugarCube in my signal chain which is bypassed except for those few lp’s with still too many clicks/pops even after cleaning)

This would be for two channel listening using an AV receiver. Going analog to the CD input may work in pure direct, but if I want room correction and bass management applied (as Curtis noted) I'm assuming the receiver takes the analog signal and digitizes and processes it.

I'll have to read up on R2R!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Plus 1 for movies in surround.

As to 2 channel, I added a dedicated preamp (Rogue RP5) a few months ago and it was a great upgrade - that said, my music listening is primarily vinyl so do try avoiding any digitization (I do have a SugarCube in my signal chain which is bypassed except for those few lp’s with still too many clicks/pops even after cleaning)
    I will also be setting up 5.1 for movies, but only use the Towers for 2 channel.

Vinyl is cool! Always like to get back to play vinyl again, but I will have to wait until later when more time is available. Could you share how you setup the dedicated preamp? I am planning to do something like it, using an integrated amp to play 2 channel only, so the streamer, DAC, only connect to the integrated amp, and not the HT pre-pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    This would be for two channel listening using an AV receiver. Going analog to the CD input may work in pure direct, but if I want room correction and bass management applied (as Curtis noted) I'm assuming the receiver takes the analog signal and digitizes and processes it.
    Yup.

Another reason why I hesitated is I like keeping the use of my system simple and limit the number of components unless there is realized benefit vs ease of use/cost.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    This is a complex topic, and this may not be a good place for further or detailed discussion. I will just share my experience from the past few years building servers in different configurations, experiment with different components and operating systems, music players, the music server, in a revealing 2 channel stereo system, does effects the sound quality quite a bit, but since there are many factors involved, there is no easy way to clearly define what will or will not work in a different system. If there is interest, perhaps this can be a different topic in an another thread.
    In my experience it is all electrical noise related. You are right...another topic, another thread.
    -curtis

Interesting discussion...if a new thread is started please post a link.

The reason I said I’m all stereo now is because external DACs are limited to 2 channels and if you want more channels you won’t be using the external DAC. Your audio quality will only suffer then, opting for a sub par DAC instead.
    Last edited by choirbass; 08-13-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    The reason I said I’m all stereo now is because external DACs are limited to 2 channels and if you want more channels you won’t be using the external DAC. Your audio quality will only suffer then, opting for a sub par DAC instead.
    I will be using an external DAC for 2 channel music only when my speakers are delivered, but will still use 5.1 setup for movies. First, I will be connecting the music source (streamer) digital signal to the external DAC, then take the DAC analog outputs to a different AV pre/pro input, ie., CD input, DVD player will have its digital output to AV pre/pro, and movie streaming will be done over ethernet cable, so when I am listening to 2 channels, I will change the AV pre/pro input to CD and play from there. I will also be testing another setup by using a separate integrated amp just for the 2 channel music, once I have the integrated amp here, I will move the DAC analog output from AV pre/pro to the integrated amp, and only use the integrated amp for 2 channel music, however, this method will require speaker cable change from HT amp to integrated amp, a minor extra work, but since I do much more music listening then watching movies, this won't be too bad.

Thanks for the clear explanation of how you will be connecting. It will be interesting to hear how the sound compares (AV vs integrated) using these methods.