Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Source setup for new Towers

Default Re: Source setup for new Towers

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    Got it. Do Netflix or Disney+ stream movies in 5.1 format? It's been a long time since last time I checked.
    Yes, they do, as well as Atmos.
    -curtis

How do you send signals to your DAC? In my case, I build my system around HQPlayer, sending upsampled pcm or DSD signals from the music server to an endpoint (streamer), and from endpoint to the DAC.
    Are you using Roon?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    If you get a quality external DAC it’ll make movie watching and music playback more enjoyable. I gave up on surround when I heard how much of an improvement there was using the external DAC for stereo playback. Stereo all the way for me since.
    I have recently incorporated an external DAC into my system, and it did, to my surprise, made a noticeable difference to my 2-channel listening, especially considering my configuration.

That said, for movies, I will take the surround experience over stereo.
    Last edited by curtis; 08-11-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Yes, they do, as well as Atmos.
    Great, I will check them out.

Are you using Roon?
    I do use ROON for file management, using HQPlayer as music player. I may switch from ROON to Euphony later this year when I have some more time to do testing, it has better SQ, but not as easy to use.

I have recently incorporated an external DAC into my system, and it did, to my surprise, make a noticeable difference to my 2-channel listening, especially considering my configuration.

That said, for movies, I will take the surround experience over stereo.
    Curtis - what DAC are you using?

I do use ROON for file management, using HQPlayer as music player. I may switch from ROON to Euphony later this year when I have some more time to do testing, it has better SQ, but not as easy to use.
    My two cents - the server end shouldn't have any sound quality differences unless it is doing some sort of DSP.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Curtis - what DAC are you using?
    I am using a Khadas Tone2 Pro.

I really don't have a good explanation on why it sounds better to me. It is connected to my Anthem AVM 60 via unbalanced RCA, but I use room correction and bass management in the Anthem, so the signal goes through an analog to digital to analog cycle, meaning it utilizes the DAC in the Anthem.

Luckily it isn't an expensive DAC, but very well regarded, so I took a chance. I tried a Topping D10s, which is even less expensive, and it didn't sound as good.
    Last edited by curtis; 08-11-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    -curtis

I've always been interested in an external DAC but never considered it since it would have to go through conversion using my receiver's DAC. Interesting that you are still noticing an improvement. I'll have to read up on the Khadas.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    I've always been interested in an external DAC but never considered it since it would have to go through conversion using my receiver's DAC.
    Will this be for 2 channel stereo setup? If yes, what is the source you will be sending the digital signal into the DAC? One way to bypass the receiver internal DAC is to connect the digital signal from your source to the external DAC, then connect the analog output from the DAC to another analog input on the receiver, for example, CD input. When playing 2 channel stereo music, switch receiver input to CD and play from there.

There are many types of DACs available, in my case, in general, I prefer R2R DAC more, so the one I will using to get my setup started would be my "retired" DAC from my main system, a Holo Spring DAC. If you think R2R DAC could be interesting to you, you can do some research and see what you like.