Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another surround speaker question - what will pair well with Tower with RAAL option?

Default Re: Another surround speaker question - what will pair well with Tower with RAAL opti

I'd go with the S2EX, then, if you are considering the Luna, S2, and S2EX, based on the relative cost and the S2EX is the better speaker (and getting close to the Towers).

Which amps are you looking at? Based on the WPC mentioned, I'm assuming Class A and perhaps tube-based.

Default Re: Another surround speaker question - what will pair well with Tower with RAAL opti

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I'd go with the S2EX, then, if you are considering the Luna, S2, and S2EX, based on the relative cost and the S2EX is the better speaker (and getting close to the Towers).

Which amps are you looking at? Based on the WPC mentioned, I'm assuming Class A and perhaps tube-based.
    Thank you for the information on the S2EX, I will give this more thoughts in the next week or two before making my final decision.

The amps I am considering for my headphone at the moment are Sugden Audio A21SE, Luxman 590aii, and Pass Int 25. I will start with couple flea power tube SET amps I already have to see how well the Towers will respond, but since they are 8 to 12W per channel amps, I don't have very high expection that they will pair well with the Towers, but should give me a better sense on how the 3 amps mentioned will likely to work with the Towers in my listening room.

nice selection of amps.
    Let us know what you decide on the speakers (and amps).

Jay - are you comparing Ascend domes with Ascend RAALs or domes/ribbons in general? I believe Dave (and/or others) have previously commented that the Ascend line is voiced pretty consistent across the speakers. Not to say that folks with better hearing (higher frequencies per se) than me might be more sensitive to me (wonder if I should be regretting all those rock concerts, loud car stereo, and garage band days when I was younger ;-) ).
    First let me preface with the fact that I listen to a lot of well recorded multi-channel music Something like AIX's Moonlight Acoustica's stage mix DVD-A has a fair amount of bell type sounds that pan front stage to back. I originally had a 5.1 arrangement with RAAL equipped Towers and Horizon RCL and Sierra-1NRTs as surrounds. I replaced the Sierra 1s with 2s and was amazed with the results. Ribbons just have a sparkle and airy ease that domes just can't replicate.

I really can't say that as movie surrounds I ever really noticed the difference between the NRTs and the 2s. It has been a long time that I've been rockin' a full ribbon complement (except now for ATMOS heights), and the soundfield is glorious, and seamless. Could be I'm just too darn picky.

Edit: maybe you'll be listening to mainly 2 channel music, there are some really good Blu-ray concert videos with really nice multi-channel sound tracks.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 07-30-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but am very interested in getting a pair of Tower with RAAL tweeter option. This is going to be used in a 5.1 setup with the Horizon as center, but will likely be used more in 2 channel music listening. Room is about 12x16x8, where the listening position will be about 7 to 8 ft from the main speakers, and the main speaker will be about 5.5 to 6 ft apart. The question is, what will be a good choice for the two surround speakers that will be on stands, placed behind the listening position close to either cornor of the back wall?

TIA for all recommendations.
    Hi Elan120 and welcome to our forum!

The best choice for surrounds with our RAAL ribbon towers as fronts is a pair of Luna's. The Lunas (and Duos) have exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion, even wider than Sierra-2/2EX, and this translates to a more immersive and wider surround sound field.

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    One concern regarding Luna, S2, or S2EX, will their lower efficiency compare to Tower/Horizon be an issue? I remember reading somewhere that Dave F. doesn't recommend surround speaker efficiency be too much off from the mains, which caused my concern.
    I have never stated that. There is really no reason that the surround speakers need to match or even come close to the efficiency of the front speakers. First off, your receiver or processer will handle the level matching and secondly - for the vast majority of consumer multichannel systems, the surrounds are located much closer to the listener compared to the fronts, which often results in lowering the levels of the surrounds to get a proper blend with the fronts.

At what distance will the surrounds be placed from the main listening position?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Elan120 and welcome to our forum!

The best choice for surrounds with our RAAL ribbon towers as fronts is a pair of Luna's. The Lunas (and Duos) have exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion, even wider than Sierra-2/2EX, and this translates to a more immersive and wider surround sound field.

I have never stated that. There is really no reason that the surround speakers need to match or even come close to the efficiency of the front speakers. First off, your receiver or processer will handle the level matching and secondly - for the vast majority of consumer multichannel systems, the surrounds are located much closer to the listener compared to the fronts, which often results in lowering the levels of the surrounds to get a proper blend with the fronts.

At what distance will the surrounds be placed from the main listening position?
    Thank you Dave for the information, and it is good to know Luna is a better choice as a surround compare to 2S or 2SEX when paired with RAAL towers.

The surrounds will about 5 ft from the main listening position.

On a side note, I wonder if you received the two emails I sent to your attention in the past few days? I was hoping for addition inputs, so please let me know if I should resend the emails.

Regards,
    Kevin

nice selection of amps.
    Let us know what you decide on the speakers (and amps).
    After further discussion with Dave, your inputs from earlier, also the possibility of moving the surround speakers in the future to use as bedroom system, I picked the S2EX as surround to go with the Towers w/RAAL and Horizon w/RAAL. Now that the order is in, time to wait for the delivery. As for amps, I plan to go with Luxman L-590AXII.

Nice choices

I use Sierra-2EXs as the side surrounds in my system and love them in that role. For me, I'm always in the sweet spot, so I'm not sure that wider horizontal dispersion would contribute to the experience.

There are instances in movie soundtracks where there are loud, impactful effects coming from the surrounds, during which I'm thinking the extreme dynamic capabilities of the EXs is a very good thing. I've not yet experienced the Lunas, so I have no first hand opinion concerning their dynamic capabilities. All this to say that I think you will be very pleased with your choice!

Jay

Jay, the Lunas are very similar to the HTM-200 SE
    Last edited by choirbass; 08-13-2021 at 05:56 AM.